Who knows a really good flapjack recipe

Chewy not crunchy and lots of carbs...

18 messages
30/12/2004 at 12:20
Energy bars cost a fortune, and biscuits are stuffed full of sugar which gives me an incredible buzz within five minutes of eating a packet, followed by a real low ... so I'm thinking of making some flapjacks so that I've got something portable and high carb to take with me on long walks/big snowboarding days/long runs/long bike rides etc.

Trouble is, all the recipes I've made so far have been a bit ... well, carp - either rock hard or terribly dry or incredibly sweet.

Does anyone have a good tried and tested recipe for a chewy and not-to-sweet flapjack? (Annoyingly, the maker of the best flapjacks I ever tasted keeps his flapjack recipe secret - I can see why, as a good flapjack recipe is a rare thing...)

Thank you!!!

LizzyB
30/12/2004 at 12:40
use apple juice and prune puree to bind the mixture of oats and nuts etc...no need for fats or sugars..
30/12/2004 at 12:47
oh yes and don't foget honey
30/12/2004 at 12:59
Hi Lizzy
I know this isn't a flapjack recipe, but I made these the other day and thought at the time they'd be good for carb loading - and they were very good too!

BANANA MUFFINS

30g butter
60g (2 tablespoons) clear honey
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 large, very ripe bananas
150g plain flour
1 heaped tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
pinch of salt

Put butter, honey & vanilla in pan on low heat to melt.
Mash bananas and add to melted butter mixture.
Mix flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon & salt in another bowl, then add butter/banana mixture and stir together (don't overmix).
Put into paper cases in muffin trays (makes about 10).
Cook for 20 mins at 190oC/gas 5.

30/12/2004 at 13:13
Tiger, that looks scrummy - think I'll be buying some muffin cases and bananas tonight ... but I wonder how well they would survive in a rucsac? (not that they'd ever make it there, think they'd get eaten straight out of the overn).

WonderMK - what sort of quantities do you use? - do you replace the butter with the same weight of prune puree, or is it more complicated than that?
30/12/2004 at 14:24
I have a few recipes for solid bars, drinks and in-betweens on http://www.geocities.com/steve.collier/nrg_food_drink_recipes.html

Let us know what you think.
30/12/2004 at 14:54
LizzyB

Boinged this thread for you but also provide the link in the first occurrence of the word thread in this sentence.
30/12/2004 at 14:55
Should say that there's a flapjack recipe on first page but also quite a lot of other good stuff as well.
30/12/2004 at 14:57
I haven't made some for ages....think you could be quite haphazard about quantities....i'll make some tomorrow and let you know..
30/12/2004 at 15:05
The addition of a little corned beef will make any flapjack taste absolutely....

bleeeeeeeeeeuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrghhhhh
30/12/2004 at 18:43
Hi Lizzy!

Mr Wolf loves flapjacks and they HAVE to be crunchy with minimum ginger.

So I use Delia Smiths and it's the best I've found!

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/r_0000001724.asp
30/12/2004 at 18:57
The RW recipe is great - not crispy at all - not exactly chewy either, but soft and falls apart. probably not great for eating during a tri on a bike or something though.
Duck Girl    pirate
30/12/2004 at 23:54
Mug oats: tbsp molasses: tbsp soya marge: 1/3 block dates
(more or less). Mush dates with tbsp of boiling water (put in micro till they are soft puree, may need more water). Melt together marge & molasses. Add any other stuff (nuts, spice, etc.), & dates, stir well, then stir in oats. Grease baking tray, 15-ish mins 180c. Eat.
Duck Girl    pirate
30/12/2004 at 23:56
Solid, very chewy, fairly indestructible, rather nice, & quite tasty
NB i mean about 1/2 of a 250g block of dried squashed dates - the sort that come in rectangles. Alternatively, just eating the block of dates is good too.
31/12/2004 at 01:13
asda flapjacks are ggggrrrreeeeaaaat the ones me & mrs w make are either rock hard or fall to bits and they sell muffin kits that make really scrummy muffins
31/12/2004 at 08:58
100g marg
100g brown sugar (demerara makes them crunchier)
3tbsp syrup
225g porridge oats.

melt first three ingredients in a pan. Add oats. Put in a 20cm square pan & press in.
20 mins at gas 4.

Have tried messing around with spices & flavourings but this is recipe my kids love.
31/12/2004 at 08:59
Sorry just realised you didn't want sugar - oops!
31/12/2004 at 09:06
I substituted cooking apple for the banana in the banana muffin recipe and they were scrummy. (OK, so you don't get the protein, but you do get the carbs.)

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
18 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.