Why are some runners so ignorant ?

81 to 100 of 103 messages
01/10/2012 at 15:44

I have had a Hi carterusm running shirt made specially, just in case. Wouldn't want to cause offence by failure to acknowledge.

People keep asking me what it means though.

01/10/2012 at 15:51

i tend to acknowledge greetings so i suppose i am a responder rather than greeter.

some people time it badly though saying hello just as we pass so then i feel bad for not acknowledging the greeting in time.

i am an early morning runner though which means i don't pass too many people on the way round.

01/10/2012 at 16:24

I am a serial greeter. Most people tend to reply

01/10/2012 at 18:53
Thanks Colin McLaughlin, you're very kind. And what is your answer when people ask what it means ?
02/10/2012 at 20:11

I've just got back from a run where I passed a man and a woman wearing a Hi CarterUSM running shirt each. Imagine my delight.....

02/10/2012 at 22:55

Are you sure it wasn't a 20 year old gig t-shirt?

03/10/2012 at 08:11

There wasnt an explanation on the back for when people were asking what it means

03/10/2012 at 14:33
kittenkat wrote (see)

I punch people in the face as I run past them, it's good cross training.

carterusm wrote (see)

I've just got back from a run where I passed a man and a woman wearing a Hi CarterUSM running shirt each. Imagine my delight.....

I had a good giggle at those.

I only say hello if I'm in the middle of nowhere in inclement weather and the other runner doesn't look like a sex offender.

03/10/2012 at 15:02

Recently I ran a bizarre 11 miles round a 0.6 mile loop - there was someone out walking round the same loop for an hour of it - we must have passed each other about 40 - 50 times - at the start we said good morning, then we regressed to just smiling and nods, then we progressed to a couple of bizarre conversations with about 2 mins between them, then we regressed completely to ignoring each other. 

Perhaps if the conversations had gone better............???

03/10/2012 at 19:30

@Skinny Fetish Fan - you should have got yourself a Hi CarterUSM running shirt, that would have negated the need for conversation during those last few laps. A simple point to your chest would have done the trick. To place your order go to www.colin.mclaughlin.co.uk/runningshirts/hicarterusm/order

04/10/2012 at 16:14

lol

04/10/2012 at 20:31
05/10/2012 at 14:57
For me it depends on what run I'm on.a quick 5k and I'm smiles and sunshine when on a big run after 10+ miles ur getting nowt back x its head down and slog out time. Blackpool and fleetwoods always friendly though especially when the trams along side u. loads of encouragement and waves.
05/10/2012 at 15:25

in response to the OP's initial question: because in the Venn diagram of "runners" and "ignorant people" there is an intersect.

10/10/2012 at 09:14

I wish I had more time to look at this forum properly and engage with y'all. There's some cracking comedy comments right up the street of my sense of humour!

Incidentally if I'm working in London I run Tower Bridge to Waterloo most mornings around 7am, and acknowledge/ wave/ greet most people I pass. I'm tattooed neck to hands and most of my legs with grease back hair so you probably jus too inconspicuous for anyone to realize...

10/10/2012 at 10:45
@troy - looking like you do I think I would ignore you !! You have greased back hair on your legs ??
@colinmclaughlin - can you get a special running shirt made for troy ?
12/10/2012 at 22:31
I run regularly with my dog and also used to work at the local secondary school. As such I see people I would always chat to on my dog walk, kids from school and ex co-workers. I always nod/wave/smile etc but soooo many want to stop and chat and I love being friendly but now feel rude when I shout 'can't stop' as I go past! But I always acknowledge people and most runners here do the same but there is definitely the odd misery out there!!!
I still continue to acknowledge them each time I see them as one day I will make them 'break'. They must think 'oh god it's the mad one with the dog!!!'
13/10/2012 at 01:48

It would probably be simplest if troy gets HI CARTERUSM tattooed across his forehead.

13/10/2012 at 16:19

One thing that grinds my gears is a fellow runner who doesn't acknowledge you, where's the politeness? I'm a 'lone wolf' as I'm a lorry driver who sleeps in his cab all week (yes you've seen us on Eddie Stobart Trucks and Trailers and we're called 'trampers') but there's nothing better than sharing an 'alright mate' or 'hiya love' (I'm a northerner) whilst out. Most polite runners I've experienced are from Dunstable, pat on the back for you guys.

13/10/2012 at 19:44

When out cycling, other cyclists always let on and nod etc. When out running it appears there is a 'no eye contact' rule. I can only conclude cyclists are friendlier than runners. Or maybe runners are to knackered to be bothered with friendly gestures? Or perhaps people prefer the look of me with my ridiculous helmet on?

81 to 100 of 103 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.