Why can't I lose my belly and get a 6 pack

61 to 80 of 80 messages
15/01/2013 at 12:20

Fruit really depends what your dietary goal is. Fruit do provide vitamins, but as you are aware moist fruit is sweet for a reason and that is the natural sugar in them.

If like most on these boards you are active that is not an issue. You get the vitamins and you'll burn that sugar through exercise. If you are less active that natural sugar from the fruit will be stored as fat, so if weight loss is your goal it's not the best option.

It's part of the reason the five a day campaign is laughable. It's doesn't distinguish anything of value and gives a very generic and useless message. That also allows companies to jump on board claiming their product offers a portion of their "five a day". Most notably fruit juice drinks and smoothies, which people eat as they view them as healthy and some misguided people see that as a good lose weight option when they are actually loaded with sugar.

Is fruit bad for you, well no. If you want to lose weight should you be eating lots of fruit, again no.

And there lies the problem. People eat what they see as healthy choices trying to lose weight, but those choices are often hideously wrong if that is your objective. The recent political babbling once again went on about labelling fat contents in food to make things easier for people to make an informed choice to stave of the obesity epidemic, when all recent studies suggest high fat diets aid weight loss far more than high sugar diets (which pretty much includes how your body deals with excess carbohydrates).

Personally I still think we are many years away from fully understanding how our bodies use the fuel we provide them, but it does seem to be coming more apparent for the last thirty years or so we've been barking up the wrong tree in terms of what in our diets is making people so fat.

15/01/2013 at 12:22

How about this for a piss take on the 5-a-day. According to the ads - this has one of your five a day - says it all really.

15/01/2013 at 12:23

Bollocks picture didn't load - try again 

http://www.mcdonalds.co.uk/content/dam/mcdonaldsuk/item/live/mcdonalds-Fruitizz--Medium.png

15/01/2013 at 12:25
Stevie G . wrote (see)

maybe you should run more Ric, as I'm sure those 1,650 posts of yours have been over the last year

A whole year

There's some around here who'd do that many in one night!

BTW, I imagine a real paleo diet would consist mainly of starvation followed by a massive blow out on meat.

I mean, where in hell would a paleolithic human find vegetables, fruit and nuts?

Meat and anything else that Bear G would tackle more like.

15/01/2013 at 12:56
dean richardson 7 wrote (see)

also ran - but i think avit is saying they burn those calories off training, hence are zero carb remain (or thereabouts) and why you can see the 6 pack.

Yes, that is what we were saying right at the beginning before avit came along with his huge carb based chip on his shoulder. Get rid of the fat and there is some muscle under there. But life is too short and I choose to have my cake and eat it.

15/01/2013 at 13:04

I would rather have some toast - run 6 miles and be a teensy bit chubby than only do crossfit and eat a paleo diet but have the body of jessica innis.  You make your choices in life.

15/01/2013 at 13:12
Pretty sure that most elite distance runners will have a six pack. Most of the women at the Olympics had defined stomach muscles. Couldn't see the men as only the women display their stomachs.

Both the p and d plan and PR stress the importance of core work in running.
15/01/2013 at 13:18
GymAddict wrote (see)

I would rather have some toast - run 6 miles and be a teensy bit chubby than only do crossfit and eat a paleo diet but have the body of jessica innis.  You make your choices in life.

That's my take on it. Food is one of my passions in life and while I like to stay fit and healthy I never have wanted a Men Health cover type body.

I do the exercises I do because I enjoy them. I also eat what ever I want as long as I enjoy it too.

15/01/2013 at 14:29

I've got a six-pack in the changing room at the gym but I think they have special lights in there.  I eat a lot more carbs than meat.

Can anyone tell me what was the life expectancy of Paleolithic Man? 

15/01/2013 at 14:33
PhilPub wrote (see)

Can anyone tell me what was the life expectancy of Paleolithic Man? 

Are we removing modern medicine, living arrangements and natural predators? If not that comment is absurd.

Edited: 15/01/2013 at 14:33
15/01/2013 at 14:55

Yes, hence the winky.

15/01/2013 at 14:59

The paleo diet (despite lots of nay-sayers) is pretty healthy - so long as you aren't a body builder type who sees it as an excuse never to eat a carb again.

Lots of veg, some fruit, some good quality lean protein and then the carbs of your choice - again in the quantity you choose.  For all that paleo is no grains - they are big into sweet pots and yams etc and you can get a lot of carbs from those.

I couldn't live forever with no bread though and the 'best' diet is always going to be one that you can stick to.

15/01/2013 at 15:17

Sorry, but you're all wrong. 

Clearly the only way to get a six pack is to buy one of the many variants of plastic ab machine that I see advertised each day on the telly.

15/01/2013 at 15:17

i liked your winky, phil

15/01/2013 at 16:31

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/493151/gallery/sixpk.jpg?width=350

Six pack anyone?

15/01/2013 at 16:45

nobody has mentioned the elephant in the room. Slendertone. duh.

15/01/2013 at 16:49

15/01/2013 at 16:51
I saw a documentary recently that claimed that life expectancy actually went down when humans moved from a hunter gatherer lifestyle to agricultural one. But the explanation given was that that was more due to much greater exposure to contagious diseases rather than actual diet.
15/01/2013 at 17:22

Darren Lyons is reselling his implants if anyone is interested

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2011/8/23/1314121115021/Darryn-Lyons-on-Celebrity-008.jpg

You will need a pretty big frame to carry them off.

Edited: 15/01/2013 at 17:23
16/01/2013 at 09:54

Surrey, yes, that's right, paleobiologists theorise that cross species viral and bacterial infection became a significant mortality risk once we began farming, and spending more time around animals. Read Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond, which has a chapter or two on the development of agriculture.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
61 to 80 of 80 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.