Why do people get so worked up by goody bags?

21 to 39 of 39 messages
07/11/2012 at 17:45

It's only the goodie bags that keep me running. Isn't it the same for everyone else?

07/11/2012 at 19:47

When I was starting out, I was always delighted to get a medal, and a goody bag to a lesser extent.

Now the only thing I care about in a race is getting a performance satisfactory to the course/rivals and my expectations.

A medal or goody bag are barely of any consequence these days.

acp
08/11/2012 at 10:09

I would never judge a race on the basis of the goody bag. It's not why I enter races!

08/11/2012 at 10:37

@ Peter Collins -  Clearly not for everybody though. 

When I walk in some parts of the  area where I live I see that a few people have thrown goody bags into the higher branches of trees.  Clearly not happy with the contents, I'm presuming ?

08/11/2012 at 11:33
At one race we got what can charitably be described as a trinket bowl. One finisher was heard to comment that 'I do a race and BUPA give me a b****dy ashtray, are they touting for business'
08/11/2012 at 13:01

I will do a race only if there are three goodie bags packed to the Sallys (gunnels) with cake, biscuit, beer, ashtrays and the like.

08/11/2012 at 13:36

HalfRunnerHalfBiscuit wrote (see)
At one race we got what can charitably be described as a trinket bowl. One finisher was heard to comment that 'I do a race and BUPA give me a b****dy ashtray, are they touting for business'

Philip Morris used to (maybe still do?) offer a mammoth supply of free cigarettes as part of an employee's benefits package.  Maybe this cuts down on their pension bill??

I'm pretty indifferent really, but if you're gonna hand me a bag as soon as I've finished a race, there'd better be some bloody chocolate in it! 

Edited: 08/11/2012 at 13:37
08/11/2012 at 13:55

I'm not bothered about what's in the goodie bag particularly, or even if there is one, but I do find stupid ones a bit annoying. I remember one of the Bristol halfs I did a few years back. Was expecting food in the goodie bag, which was good, because I was bloody starving. What did we get? A tin of f***ing vegetable soup.

08/11/2012 at 14:00

I fill my goodie bag with an assortment of Satnav's, car keys, cash and credit cards I find lying around in a tent near the finish line.

XX1
08/11/2012 at 22:14
@Tenjiso -- LOL
XX1
09/11/2012 at 09:22

Give me a medal! The other shit I can buy.

09/11/2012 at 09:26

You mean you don't buy an assortment of medals and go to sleep surrounded by them?

09/11/2012 at 10:39

I tried it but people soon figured out that I scratched the name of the event into the metal with a compas. So here I am, getting medals the hard way lol.

09/11/2012 at 11:12

If I enter a running event that costs me about £15 then I don't expect one, but a medal is always nice.

What really pees me off though is if you've forked out an arm and a leg to enter an event and the goody bag is sh*te.  This year's Great South Run is a prime example, containing a cereal bar that was more a bag of granola because it had been so battered, not to mention some bizarre squashed pink "protein recovery" bar.  It looked like a tablet of frozen sicked up black cherry yoghurt. 

If you're going to offer a goody bag then make sure that the contents are worth having please!

XX1
09/11/2012 at 22:35
I guess that the clue is in the title, "goodie" bag, rather than "shitty" bag
XX1
09/11/2012 at 23:07

The OP is worded in such a dry/ funny way, love it.. really made me laugh.....I agree its odd what some people find so annoying ..

Edited: 09/11/2012 at 23:08
10/11/2012 at 14:17

If I can carry a goody bag after a race I have not tried hard enough.

10/11/2012 at 14:24

Oh yea,   the coaster at the end of the Snowdon race was too heavy for me, so left it on the floor.

10/11/2012 at 14:38

The best goody bags in the business are at the Wycombe Half. Stuffed full of both useful and useless stuff, but always on top of a medal AND a quality t-shirt. And all for one of the cheapest entry fees you'll get for a half.

I've never had a hoody from Bramley and they make you buy a t-shirt! Good race mind...

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 39 of 39 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.