Why do people get so worked up by goody bags?

1 to 20 of 39 messages
cougie    pirate
07/11/2012 at 13:38

Yep - completely irrelevant to me too. 

07/11/2012 at 13:40

i think probably the thing is, if the race organisers are going to provide a goody bag, it should be worth it, otherwise dont bother?

i would rather get nothing at all than a carrier bag with one cereal bar and a dozen advert flyers (which i got once!), waste of a plastic bag really.

07/11/2012 at 13:43

All I want at the end of a race is a medal and a cup of tea. Goody bags are nice to have and I've had some interesting samples in them but otherwise you're right, they're not what it's about.

07/11/2012 at 13:43

Maybe its more that a virtually empty goody bag seems like an insult, and people would rather just have nothing than a large bag covered in sponsors with a discount coupon inside for their shop?

pmo
07/11/2012 at 14:01

You've obviously never had a good one The ones with beer, and useful stuff -buffs, caps, t-shirts, food, towels, hoodies etc, can be a nice finishing touch to a race - sepacially when there are some many around to choose from.

What do you find worthwhile about the races you have done? Surely you could get that by measuring the same ditance in the local park, or up and down the stairs at work...

pmo
07/11/2012 at 14:03

I must be doing the wrong races - I haven't had a goody bag for years!

They are mostly provided by sponsors who have provided freebies, so it's not surprising they don't have much in them.

cougie    pirate
07/11/2012 at 14:07

PMO - what race gives you a hoodie in the goody bag ? Thats impressive !

pmo
07/11/2012 at 14:14

One of the springtime 20 milers. Can't remember off the top of my head - could be Bramley?? Similarly I got 2 helly hanson tech tops from their inaugural beauty and the beast marathon couple of months ago, and a collapsable (sp?) water bottle...Still irrelevant?

Edited: 07/11/2012 at 14:14
pmo
07/11/2012 at 14:25

Guernsey Easter Races do hoodies. Lots of good goody bags around but also plenty of rubbish. I don't race for a goody bag but when it's an advertised feature and if the entrance fee is steep, it really shouldn't be an oxymoron

cougie    pirate
07/11/2012 at 14:26

These Bramley people sound like they put on good races !

pmo
07/11/2012 at 14:30

You're correct David - that's why the race review talk about these things...

I don't pay more than £35 for a marathon, and some give you nothing more than a cheap medal and a drink of water for that (barring all the setup costs which are similar across all races). Others, whether through sponsorship or other means go out of their way to make it a memorable race. HH's costs for their gear is obviously much lower than retail - but the tech tops would have cost £40. Their angle is brand exposure - they are late to sponsor running events, salomon have been doing it for years - and all have new ranges of shoes and clothes to sell.

PS I don't work for them - but will think favourably of them for their generosity

pmo
07/11/2012 at 15:13

It doesn't matter to me. I've hardly ever had one to be honest. However, I was very grateful for the one I got at the Great Birmingham Run, as I had completely run out of beans and needed the food it contained just to find my poor bf as I was staggering around like a drunk penguin.

07/11/2012 at 15:30

Oakley 20 also gives you a hoodie - 'Guantanamo Orange' was the colour this year.

Agree with 'dancing in spikes ' above - at the end of the VLM this year I was desparate for the cheese and tomato sarnie that had been present in previous years.  Bit disappointed to find it missing, the Gillette razor was no substitute !

07/11/2012 at 15:37

I think the stuff that pmo is talking about would be classed as memento rather than goody bag (despite the fact that they were probably given out in a goody bag).

I class goody bag as something over and above the trinkets I already know I'm getting (and paying for, ultimately). The ones I've had usually have sponsor bumpf but there have been some, erm, goodies. A 10K in Newbury gave out cotton shopping bags, and at Henley a few years back they were giving us packs of rooibos tea. I've had breakfast porridge tubs, mars bars, water bottles, lipsalve, pens etc. All gratefully received.

One race gave me a sachet of anti-cellulite cream. I was going to donate that to the ex-wife but thought better of it.

07/11/2012 at 15:42

Ely 10k last year were giving out bottles of beer   Unfortunately I didn't get in to it this year I heard all the numbers went on the same day

Edited: 07/11/2012 at 15:43
07/11/2012 at 16:16

I do like my medal at the end. That aside, as long as there is a bit of cake on the side to give me my sugar boost, then i am happy. I have in one or two races, had friendship bracelets. Really liked them. They have the race details on them.

07/11/2012 at 17:02

i much prefer medals but as

Muttley wrote (see)

All I want at the end of a race is a medal and a cup of tea. Goody bags are nice to have and I've had some interesting samples in them but otherwise you're right, they're not what it's about.

totally agree

07/11/2012 at 17:22

I like a goody bag! Best I have had is running socks and sports bottles I think but any kind of drink or food is gratefully received

07/11/2012 at 17:30

Does the RW review system prompt to leave feedback about goodie bags? I can't remember, but that might be why they are often mentioned.

I wouldn't mark down a race for poor goodie bags but I'll mention it if it was very good or very bad, other people thinking about doing a spring race might be interested to know you get a hoodie, recovery drink and a slice of cake at X 20 miler and nothing but a plastic cup of water at the end the Y 20M.

Max's Mum wrote (see)

i think probably the thing is, if the race organisers are going to provide a goody bag, it should be worth it, otherwise dont bother?

i would rather get nothing at all than a carrier bag with one cereal bar and a dozen advert flyers (which i got once!), waste of a plastic bag really.

+1 The plastic bag full of leaflets that I got after Brighton Half Marathon was useless and not at all environmentally friendly, most people chucked them on the floor! It was just another thing to carry and very annoying.

Edited: 07/11/2012 at 17:30
07/11/2012 at 17:33

My best goody bag was one of those nylon drawstring types plus 12 yogurts, a mouse mat, a pen, a wooly hat, a keyring and discount vouchers all that was on top of the tech t-shirt and the medal. it was the Muller Market Drayton 10k sponsered by Muller, hence the Muller yorgurts and everything was plastered with Muller logos.

But all I really wanted was a pb and I got that too

Edited: 07/11/2012 at 17:34
1 to 20 of 39 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.