Why don't they only give the top half of the field a medal in HM's and marathon

61 to 80 of 133 messages
seren nos    pirate
19/02/2013 at 15:12

Your posts on here are very different  to your posts in the telegraph..............I wonder if you make up different persona for different places.........

have you watched catfish on the TV..........you remind me of it........I can't believe that in real life you act and talk like you do here.......

seren nos    pirate
19/02/2013 at 15:15

I have noticed that in real life that the fast runners.....sub 3 hr marathons .rarely find the slow runners and overweight runners as something to mock............they encourage..............no doubt to them we are all slow.......its the mr average who can't run as fast as he knows he should that finds the need to laugh at fat people in the gym ... or slow runners in the race.just to make him feel better about his own failings........

not that you do any of those things of course david

19/02/2013 at 15:34

Seriously guys ...its not about the medal .......its about making sure you smile and pose when you spy the course/race photographer on the way round , so you get an ace shot for your profile pic.Its all about the goody bag and what choccie treats are in there for the car journey home, and of course its all about the t-shirt you get , so you can wear it at the gym and impress all the people who might not know your a super duper runner ...

seren nos    pirate
19/02/2013 at 15:41

roeby.....do you offer any tips on how to get an ace shot whilst running.........in all mine i look like shit.......I'm starting to accept the idea that i must look like shit and it can't always be the photographers fault

19/02/2013 at 15:44

Smile and wave - that way you look like you're not putting much effort in, it's just a jog round the lanes 

19/02/2013 at 15:55

never had a half decent one tbh..........most of mine I have my eyes shut and look like I,ve lost a leg.Holding your tummy in is always a winner.........

XX1
19/02/2013 at 16:04
Seren nos -- What's happening May 5th? I thought David's next big gig was in March... But I'll leave David to confirm or deny that

Also, some members of the RW UK site have very different personas when they post on the US site... Very interesting...
XX1
19/02/2013 at 16:10
I think he's running something nr Stonehenge in may. It's just down the road from me.
XX1
19/02/2013 at 16:22
Millsy1977 -- Ah yes, the Neolithic Marathon... Looks like it would be a lot of fun.
XX1
19/02/2013 at 16:31
Oh I was going to offer to pace you to a GFA place to keep you quiet in October.
XX1
19/02/2013 at 16:39
It's always worth getting your excuses in early... At a recent 10k I did this guy, a friend of a friend of a friend, said that the distance would usually take him about 40 minutes but on that occasion he thought it would take him longer as he hadn't run for 8 (EIGHT) days! I think he finished in about 55 minutes LOL
XX1
XX1
19/02/2013 at 16:40
DF3 -- The Neolithic Marathon looks to be aimed at proper runners... I don't think too many of the VLM tarts would be interested
XX1
19/02/2013 at 16:50

Ooh, proper runners? But what if he doesn't finish in the top half of the field?

19/02/2013 at 16:51

DF3, looking back I am not sure we got the paperwork in order. Did we put you in for the 26 mile walking event , or the neolithic marathon run? Probably best we take a decision on the day and report back then.

seren nos    pirate
19/02/2013 at 17:02

but as you are a slim fit young thing.........make sure you aren't beaten by any overweight middle aged housewives.now that should shut you up for a while

19/02/2013 at 17:57
Sorry had to get out and do a couple of Kms Did I miss anything ?
XX1
19/02/2013 at 18:07
Literatin -- No top half finish = no medal or goody bag
XX1
19/02/2013 at 22:47
About time DF3 had a pic to support his ego!
19/02/2013 at 23:19

This thread has been comedy gold. 

My only thing to add to the OP question is that I'd be well annoyed if someone got a medal at my expense with a slower chip time than me because they'd shoved their way right to the front.

Lots of ultras already implement a version of this (Comrades, Western States etc) and I like the idea of having a medal based on time, chip time that is. Unfortunately that would mean a lot of wastage as at big events they'd have to overstock every version.

Edited: 19/02/2013 at 23:19
20/02/2013 at 07:11

What's with the medal thing anyway. Mine are just chucked in a draw at home. There are only 2 that actually mean anything to me - a FLM one from 2004 (I do reckon that just completing a marathon is a pretty decent accomplishment, and I did go through quite a lot of pain to get it), and one from when I was part of our school cross country team which came 2nd in a large race - we had to actually earn that by our position & I managed to have a flier that day and count for our A team rather than the B team I usually counted for.

61 to 80 of 133 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.