Why don't they put up a 6.55 mile marker in half marathons?

1 to 20 of 21 messages
08/11/2012 at 16:22

Some do. some don't.

Tommygun2    pirate
08/11/2012 at 16:26

I have seen Signs saying "Half Way" at quite a few HM races

Tommygun2    pirate
08/11/2012 at 16:40

I have noticed that there is normally a big sign at the begining saying Start and one at the end saying Finish. I always find them helpful, but not as helpful as the Marshals who say "Not far to go now".  

08/11/2012 at 16:41

I've never even thought about it! 

Tommygun2    pirate
08/11/2012 at 16:47

I think there must be some sort of Marshal's charter where you are bound to say such hilarious things whilst stand at a road junction with your arm out pointing.

08/11/2012 at 17:08
Marlow had a half way marker.
08/11/2012 at 17:11

My motto is "Never Believe a Marshall". Especially when they say no more hills, or water just round the corner. 

I've seen half way signs at the odd HM. But have to say, I've not found it essential.

seren nos    pirate
08/11/2012 at 17:16

why on earth would you want a half way sign.......you run to the mile markers....if you want to know buy a garmin

if you have marshalled you know how hard it is to keep on saying the same things again and again.....................butr yes no more hills and not far to go should only be said if they are true

08/11/2012 at 18:40

as a marshal, my only phrase is "good running!" even when on the first corner, just 200 metres from the start...must work on this

08/11/2012 at 19:11

Because part of the fun of running a half marathon is that the maths are hard and it takes your mind off the pain!

08/11/2012 at 19:13
Tommygun2 wrote (see)

I think there must be some sort of Marshal's charter where you are bound to say such hilarious things whilst stand at a road junction with your arm out pointing.

Clearly you've never marshalled a long distance race.

As if you had perhaps you'd find that it's hard to give 1,000 separate witty comments out individually

08/11/2012 at 19:32

But part of the fun of marshalling is taking the piss. If you're at the bottom of a stonking great climb you have to say "it's all flat from here in". It's the law. And to the tailenders you have to say "c'mon mate/dear, you can still win this one".

I expect nothing else from marshals ... why give up your free time on a Sunday morning without at least getting a laugh out of it?

08/11/2012 at 19:45

My favourite is warning of speed bumps ahead - ie holding a sign to notify runners of this -  and hearing the replies along the lines of ' okay I'll slow down then'!

Cheerful Dave    pirate
08/11/2012 at 19:46
There was an off road 10k round these parts that helpfully had a sign pointing out that you were at the highest point of the course. That was just after halfway. Unfortunately they also had one at the lowest point of the course, still with a mile to run.
08/11/2012 at 19:53

Muttley, don't worry, I love marshalling the Marlow half.

Mostly because I'd hate to run it!

Really hilly, so you'll end up miles off your best time, and not even a medal!

Tommygun2    pirate
08/11/2012 at 21:41

Actually I have mashraled at race or two but alway seem to miss the pre race meeting.

(as a cavet, marshals do a blinding job and at no point would i denegrate that)

09/11/2012 at 09:50

I don't really like markers at half way - especially in a marathon as my heart sort of sinks when I realise I still have the same distance to go and my legs are already starting to hurt a bit.  In a HM I prefer to go through 7 miles and realise I'm more than half way and there is less than a 10k to go

09/11/2012 at 09:55

At the Abingdon Marathon there was a halfway marker. I wasn't quite sure how to take it... part of me felt 'jeez, I've got to run that far again', another 'yay, it's plain sailing from now on...' I think the former was more correct.

09/11/2012 at 10:39

They had one at the Sturminster Newton Half as well. 

09/11/2012 at 16:40

If I was that bothered I'd just note the six mile mark and then, after half the time it takes me to run a mile at HM pace, think 'right that's about halfway'. Don't ever enter an off-road race, I've never seen any distance markers at all on them - I don't know how we manage tbh.

1 to 20 of 21 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.