Why would an average marathon runner such as Claire Squires take drugs to...

21 to 40 of 148 messages
30/01/2013 at 16:05

Eggy, one interesting thing that came out of my (quick) search was the loophole that let this drug get out there without thorough testing.  By labelling it as a geranium extract it didn't have to go through the same pharmacology(?) testing/approvals as synthetics drugs.  One of the key steps in getting it banned was proving that it was proving that it wasn't a naturally occuring chemical within the geranium plant, and therefore was a synthesised product (and therefore required more stringent testing, which someone would have to pay for).

PS I don't really know anything about pharmacology and this was only a few minutes googling - so I'm quite likely to be inaccurate!

seren nos    pirate
30/01/2013 at 16:21
xine267 wrote (see)

A couple of my friends bought a weight loss product from health food shops that sounds scarily similar, they were raving about the way it made them lose weight by making their "bodies work harder" even at rest - increased heart rate and increased core temperature.

I told them at the time that I thought taking some kind of legal speed to lose weight was the stupidest thing I'd heard, but will send those linked articles to them. Whatever it is they were taking was available to buy during summer 2012.

that was my first thought.....

seren nos    pirate
30/01/2013 at 16:29

David.not sure a heart rate monitor would help much...people ofeten have spikes.......at the beginning of a cross country mine was over 200 for the first 1/2 a mile......normally goes up towards 190 in a race........

what info from your HR monitor would make you stop in a race if you were on for a PB

30/01/2013 at 16:29
David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

Also a reason to wear a heart monitor during a race ...... I never leave home without one ..... 

Her heart rate must have been through the roof!

I saw 289 on mine this morning, couldn't decide on poor contact, over head power lines or the lycra clad ass of the wench in front having an effect on an old man

Edited: 30/01/2013 at 16:29
30/01/2013 at 16:33

During a race is one place I never wear my HRM....  I never give a sh!t about it racing, and so long as I make the pub after who cares what it hit during the race

30/01/2013 at 16:37

According to this article, the irregular heartbeat is a red herring in the story.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/jan/30/dead-marathon-runner-banned-stimulant-dmaa

Apparently the irregular was 'diagnosed' by her acupuncturist, she didn't mention it to friends, family or her GP, and the doctor who reviewed her medical files seems to think it's more likely to be the substance found in her blood that contributed to the heart attack.

30/01/2013 at 16:41

The only Garmin I have is used in the mountains

30/01/2013 at 16:46

So the lady took a sports supplement. Which has been subsequently been withdrawn or banned from sale.

30/01/2013 at 17:00
David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

Oh dear, someone hasnt actually bothered to do any research before posting, always a danger when trying to contradict someones agrument ... actually a year before she died, jack3d had been removed from most retailers due to efforts by the government to ban the product and concerns over what it contained. Hence why she didnt buy it 'over the counter' but instead on the internet. That should be your first clue when your local supplement store doesnt sell it and you need to source it over the internet.

Why is that we have to play by your rules, and that we can't play by mine? Since when do you have more rights than me? You are always free to not read what I post if you are offended. Thats whats wrong with this country, people are looking to be offended all the time.

I feel uncomfortable getting into a petty argument over a sad story. But

• How do you know that she knew that these legal supplements weren't on sale in the local shop?  You appear to be jumping to this conclusion (although, as I said, I haven't read deeply into the case)
  • Don't you know that the internet is the new "over the counter".   People treat internet shops the same as physical shops, and would not normally see a reason not to trust an on-line shop. Perhaps you're a bit out of touch.
  • It seems highly likely that she thought she was buying a safe product, but you seem desperate to lay blame on the poor girl, calling her foolish and stupid
  • Like I said earlier, it is valid and positive to raise the debate, but not by slagging off the poor young girl who has died.

As for your personal attack on me

• You earlier proudly stated that you're forthright. But it seems you don't like it when people are forthright in return.
  • "You can give it but you can't take it" is the phrase that comes to mind.
  • I never asked to "play by my rules, rather than yours" - it seems that it is you who is now desperately trying to "be offended". You poor lamb.
30/01/2013 at 17:19
stutyr wrote (see)

Eggy, one interesting thing that came out of my (quick) search was the loophole that let this drug get out there without thorough testing.  By labelling it as a geranium extract it didn't have to go through the same pharmacology(?) testing/approvals as synthetics drugs.  One of the key steps in getting it banned was proving that it was proving that it wasn't a naturally occuring chemical within the geranium plant, and therefore was a synthesised product (and therefore required more stringent testing, which someone would have to pay for).

PS I don't really know anything about pharmacology and this was only a few minutes googling - so I'm quite likely to be inaccurate!

If it's sold as a herbal remedy it doesn't go through the process a developed drug would. It's the reason so many of these herbal supplements can be sold with horrifically bad science used to back up their benefits.

30/01/2013 at 17:22

On the heart rate monitor thing. I never run with one on.

30/01/2013 at 17:42

I'm a journalist on The Guardian. I was at Claire Squires' inquest today. I wrote it up for today's Guardian online (It's in the paper tomorrow) but am now doing a bigger piece on legal running supplements.

I'm trying to find runners who have taken legal stimulants they later regretted - perhaps they found their were hearts racing after taking the substance or belatedly discovered that one of the ingredients was suspect.

I'm afraid my deadline is very tight. I need to speak to people tomorrow (Thurs 31st Jan), ideally in the morning.

People can talk anonymously if they prefer, although I'd much prefer them to go on the record.

My email address is: amelia.hill@guardian.co.uk

Thanks, Amelia

30/01/2013 at 18:04
I hadn't noticed that all the gels I took at last years Outlaw were all caffeine loaded ones...... Took me several Guinness to get off to sleep afterwards I was wired
cougie    pirate
30/01/2013 at 18:12
The supplement jack3d that she had doesn't seem to be one for runners. I've certainly not come across it. Even the name makes it sound like a bodybuilders drug ?

I don't think it's in the same category as energy gel. WADA banned Jack3d. Not sure when but they've never banned gels.
cougie    pirate
30/01/2013 at 18:24
Exactly kk. It could just be an unfortunate accident. If it was the Jack3d that made the difference then it would be better to educate people about inappropriate supplements.

The last guy to die in London was a gym instructor and suffered from hyponatremia ? If he was better educated about running he would have known not to take so much on ?

Running is healthy - but I'd not mess with strange supplements.
30/01/2013 at 18:28

For my sins I read a lot of body builder type blogs and they are full of discussions of this type of stuff. I am sure () that the stuff I read about it all perfectly legal and had no side effects whatsoever. But, like you guys my first thought was that it sounded more like one of those things than something a runner would normally take.

However - whevever someone young and fit dies unexpectedly - I feel less anxious for my fellow runners and for my own health if there is a specific cause.

30/01/2013 at 18:29
kittenkat wrote (see)

It's a really sad thing, but if you make it about running you are condeming more people to die sitting on their couches, which indeed they do...

You made some really good points kittenkat.  Especially this one.

Hopefully Amelia Hill will do a balance report for the Guardian.

30/01/2013 at 18:34
That will teach you to take the piss out of someone's spellink
30/01/2013 at 18:35
What's the betting Jim Fixx gets a mention ?
30/01/2013 at 18:58
An even and balanced article then..... Can't beat the old Graurniad
21 to 40 of 148 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.