Why would an average marathon runner such as Claire Squires take drugs to...

41 to 60 of 186 messages
30/01/2013 at 17:42

I'm a journalist on The Guardian. I was at Claire Squires' inquest today. I wrote it up for today's Guardian online (It's in the paper tomorrow) but am now doing a bigger piece on legal running supplements.

I'm trying to find runners who have taken legal stimulants they later regretted - perhaps they found their were hearts racing after taking the substance or belatedly discovered that one of the ingredients was suspect.

I'm afraid my deadline is very tight. I need to speak to people tomorrow (Thurs 31st Jan), ideally in the morning.

People can talk anonymously if they prefer, although I'd much prefer them to go on the record.

My email address is: amelia.hill@guardian.co.uk

Thanks, Amelia

kittenkat    pirate
30/01/2013 at 17:48
Amelia Hill wrote (see)

I'm a journalist on The Guardian. I was at Claire Squires' inquest today. I wrote it up for today's Guardian online (It's in the paper tomorrow) but am now doing a bigger piece on legal running supplements.

I'm trying to find runners who have taken legal stimulants they later regretted - perhaps they found their were hearts racing after taking the substance or belatedly discovered that one of the ingredients was suspect.

I'm afraid my deadline is very tight. I need to speak to people tomorrow (Thurs 31st Jan), ideally in the morning.

People can talk anonymously if they prefer, although I'd much prefer them to go on the record.

My email address is: amelia.hill@guardian.co.uk

Thanks, Amelia

What do you consider a 'supplement'? This seems to be turning into making a mountain out of a mole hill. I would explore her involvement with her regular gym if I were you, I don't think this is a story you should angle towards average runners.

kittenkat    pirate
30/01/2013 at 17:49

Or any runners.

kittenkat    pirate
30/01/2013 at 17:50

It's not a running story, it just happened when she was running.

kittenkat    pirate
30/01/2013 at 17:53

It's a really sad thing, but if you make it about running you are condeming more people to die sitting on their couches, which indeed they do...

kittenkat    pirate
30/01/2013 at 17:56

Well, they're probably prostrate at that point, my bad.

kittenkat    pirate
30/01/2013 at 18:00

And surely if you really do write for The Guardian, you wouldn't be illiterate.

30/01/2013 at 18:04
I hadn't noticed that all the gels I took at last years Outlaw were all caffeine loaded ones...... Took me several Guinness to get off to sleep afterwards I was wired
kittenkat    pirate
30/01/2013 at 18:11

I'm going to be really pissed off if the broad sheets start reporting like the Daily Crap only because they don't understand the sport.

cougie    pirate
30/01/2013 at 18:12
The supplement jack3d that she had doesn't seem to be one for runners. I've certainly not come across it. Even the name makes it sound like a bodybuilders drug ?

I don't think it's in the same category as energy gel. WADA banned Jack3d. Not sure when but they've never banned gels.
kittenkat    pirate
30/01/2013 at 18:15
cougie wrote (see)
The supplement jack3d that she had doesn't seem to be one for runners. I've certainly not come across it. Even the name makes it sound like a bodybuilders drug ?

I don't think it's in the same category as energy gel. WADA banned Jack3d. Not sure when but they've never banned gels.

Cougs, exactly my thinking which is why I suggested them checking out her gym activity, not the unfortunate end vehicle of running. It's not a running story!

cougie    pirate
30/01/2013 at 18:24
Exactly kk. It could just be an unfortunate accident. If it was the Jack3d that made the difference then it would be better to educate people about inappropriate supplements.

The last guy to die in London was a gym instructor and suffered from hyponatremia ? If he was better educated about running he would have known not to take so much on ?

Running is healthy - but I'd not mess with strange supplements.
30/01/2013 at 18:28

For my sins I read a lot of body builder type blogs and they are full of discussions of this type of stuff. I am sure () that the stuff I read about it all perfectly legal and had no side effects whatsoever. But, like you guys my first thought was that it sounded more like one of those things than something a runner would normally take.

However - whevever someone young and fit dies unexpectedly - I feel less anxious for my fellow runners and for my own health if there is a specific cause.

30/01/2013 at 18:29
kittenkat wrote (see)

It's a really sad thing, but if you make it about running you are condeming more people to die sitting on their couches, which indeed they do...

You made some really good points kittenkat.  Especially this one.

Hopefully Amelia Hill will do a balance report for the Guardian.

kittenkat    pirate
30/01/2013 at 18:33

Actually, I've just read your contributions to the thread. I don't think would be helpful for us to speak.

All best, Amelia

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/images/cleardot.gif

kittenkat    pirate
30/01/2013 at 18:33

Ok, your brief is that you have to blame running I guess? Or make it look like in the non elite running community, people feel the need to take supplements with promises...

30/01/2013 at 18:34
That will teach you to take the piss out of someone's spellink
30/01/2013 at 18:35
What's the betting Jim Fixx gets a mention ?
kittenkat    pirate
30/01/2013 at 18:36
Run Wales wrote (see)
kittenkat wrote (see)

You made some really good points kittenkat.  Especially this one.

Hopefully Amelia Hill will do a balance report for the Guardian.

See the very brief email conversation above I had with apparently 'The Guardian'.

*Sigh*

kittenkat    pirate
30/01/2013 at 18:43
Amelia Hill 6:33 PM (8 minutes ago)

to me

No

41 to 60 of 186 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.