Why would an average marathon runner such as Claire Squires take drugs to...

61 to 80 of 186 messages
kittenkat    pirate
30/01/2013 at 18:44

I guess you're working late and feeling a bit pissy? Fancy trying another angle, we're actually nice people...

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/images/cleardot.gif

kittenkat    pirate
30/01/2013 at 18:56

Oh well, let's see how this gets misreported... and on...and on...

For an apparant 'Guardian' employee to email me in such an unprofessional and childish way. Fuck me guys, get your minions sorted.

30/01/2013 at 18:58
An even and balanced article then..... Can't beat the old Graurniad
30/01/2013 at 19:04

If you read the Grauniad, especially on-line, you will know how bad their journalistic standards have dropped. Rusbridger the editor has sacked everyone; it's all freelancers writing "sensational" stories just to get their internet profile up.

It's not quite the Daily Mail but it's getting close.

30/01/2013 at 19:07

I do think this would be a really good subject for Runners' World to look at.

What's available on-line and what you should avoid, most of the readers are newbies doing first longer runs. There must be some temptation to take "magic" potions.

In our running club it's Beetroot juice and some disgusting V8 type drink that are "flavour" of the month.

Edited: 30/01/2013 at 19:07
kittenkat    pirate
30/01/2013 at 19:11
Piers wrote (see)

If you read the Grauniad, especially on-line, you will know how bad their journalistic standards have dropped. Rusbridger the editor has sacked everyone; it's all freelancers writing "sensational" stories just to get their internet profile up.

It's not quite the Daily Mail but it's getting close.

This journalist obviously has no idea about the running world at all, not her fault maybe because she's been detailed to get a 'story', but you might as well write  a fairytale... Which seems to be happening.

kittenkat    pirate
30/01/2013 at 19:14

And my exclamation that it's not a running story has obviously singed her. I feel a letter to the Editor coming on somewhere down the line, after she's completely discarded the opinions of long established runners.

30/01/2013 at 19:20

I'm not "singed", Kate, I'm busy filing a piece. I'm afraid I felt that your immediate responses to my request for people's experiences were aggressive and prejudicial. I want to write a reasoned, balanced article - which means I don't want to talk to people who accuse me of being illiterate or who assume I report "like the Daily Crap."  I came to Runner's World because I took it to be a hub of rational, fair debate. To find myself 'trolled' after posting a simple request, has disabused me of that assumption. Goodnight all.

30/01/2013 at 19:21

legal running stimulants  - does these actually exist? Other than caffeine of course.

30/01/2013 at 19:22
And that told you KK
30/01/2013 at 19:24

To be honest it shouldn't really be a running story. It would need to be a science story, as to give any insight it would need to be substance plus exercise and the outcome of the combination of those over a balanced group to provide any real detail.

Given the deadline is tomorrow night I expect this is nothing more than a Dave from London said "SIS gels gave me the trots". Science journalism has always been poor, mostly as the time it takes to get the actual facts from the story tend not to be sensationalist and take an age to gather.

If you really want to see what substances do and report anything with meaning you'd need to look at academic and scientific journals.

Edited: 30/01/2013 at 20:00
kittenkat    pirate
30/01/2013 at 20:08
Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)
And that told you KK

You would think that people putting foward  'an opinion on behalf of a national broadsheet', wouldn't stoop to being 'slightly sore up the personal anal passage' if people disagree or offer a different perspective...

Maybe she should run more? Or at all...

kittenkat    pirate
30/01/2013 at 20:15

Or scared off by genuine debate.. She can't be a journalist, arsed needs wiping much?

30/01/2013 at 20:58
Oh the irony.
30/01/2013 at 21:02
With all the interest around Lance Armstrong, I can see how it's a topical story (not quite the same, I realise but a lot of people will just see it as another sport/drugs thing). Agree it's not really a running story. May just be the circles
I mix in but have never even heard or discussed this stimulant or anything like it. Would be interested to find out who recommended it to her. Was it someone at her gym? I think the story is more about buying health and medicines on the net. Realise what she bought was legal but it does seem as if high st stores are more scrupulous re what they sell.

Will be big shame if it's another of those 'here's another reason not to run' stories.
30/01/2013 at 21:32
I for one am willing to hold judgement.

Compare and contrast that to the OP
30/01/2013 at 21:32

Back on-topic: my mum has an irregular heartbeat. She was told that the risk wasn't actually heart attack it was stroke because it can lead to clotting. She's on warfarin as a result.

Back off-topic: whatever Amelia decides to write I'm sure the piece will be open for comment. We are all free to post on the Guardian website if we disagree with her  angle on the story. I suggest we withhold judgement for now and wait and see.

Edited: 30/01/2013 at 21:33
30/01/2013 at 21:40

Agreed re Amelia and her piece. Pity about KK's behaviour towards her.

30/01/2013 at 21:41
Amelia Hill wrote (see)

I came to Runner's World because I took it to be a hub of rational, fair debate. 

I guess then; as a journalist, you could regard this as research.

Or crypto-zoology.

30/01/2013 at 21:45

Body building type stuff/supplements come under food laws, medicines come under the remit of the MHRA ( Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency).  The pharmaceutical industry is said to be one of the two most highly regulated industries there are (alongside the airline industry).  This is quite right given the potential for harm from new medicines or poor quality medicines.

I think the story is the lack of proactivity with the MHRA in identifying products which should really come under their remit but which are 'got round' by claiming they are foods.  I remember at the time of the banning of Jac3d that there was a bit of an outcry about how long the MHRA had taken to do anything about it and that people had died because of this delay.  I don't know about the Claire Squires story but it would be tragic if her death could have been prevented with more forceful and proactive stance from the MHRA.  They need to be much more proactive about seeking out products that should be classed as medicines (and not foods or food supplements) and prosecuting people who are essentially getting round the regulations for medicinal products.

61 to 80 of 186 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.