Why would an average marathon runner such as Claire Squires take drugs to...

61 to 80 of 224 messages
kittenkat    pirate
30/01/2013 at 18:15
cougie wrote (see)
The supplement jack3d that she had doesn't seem to be one for runners. I've certainly not come across it. Even the name makes it sound like a bodybuilders drug ?

I don't think it's in the same category as energy gel. WADA banned Jack3d. Not sure when but they've never banned gels.

Cougs, exactly my thinking which is why I suggested them checking out her gym activity, not the unfortunate end vehicle of running. It's not a running story!

cougie    pirate
30/01/2013 at 18:24
Exactly kk. It could just be an unfortunate accident. If it was the Jack3d that made the difference then it would be better to educate people about inappropriate supplements.

The last guy to die in London was a gym instructor and suffered from hyponatremia ? If he was better educated about running he would have known not to take so much on ?

Running is healthy - but I'd not mess with strange supplements.
30/01/2013 at 18:28

For my sins I read a lot of body builder type blogs and they are full of discussions of this type of stuff. I am sure () that the stuff I read about it all perfectly legal and had no side effects whatsoever. But, like you guys my first thought was that it sounded more like one of those things than something a runner would normally take.

However - whevever someone young and fit dies unexpectedly - I feel less anxious for my fellow runners and for my own health if there is a specific cause.

30/01/2013 at 18:29
kittenkat wrote (see)

It's a really sad thing, but if you make it about running you are condeming more people to die sitting on their couches, which indeed they do...

You made some really good points kittenkat.  Especially this one.

Hopefully Amelia Hill will do a balance report for the Guardian.

kittenkat    pirate
30/01/2013 at 18:33

Actually, I've just read your contributions to the thread. I don't think would be helpful for us to speak.

All best, Amelia

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/images/cleardot.gif

kittenkat    pirate
30/01/2013 at 18:33

Ok, your brief is that you have to blame running I guess? Or make it look like in the non elite running community, people feel the need to take supplements with promises...

Dave The Ex- Spartan    pirate
30/01/2013 at 18:34
That will teach you to take the piss out of someone's spellink
30/01/2013 at 18:35
What's the betting Jim Fixx gets a mention ?
kittenkat    pirate
30/01/2013 at 18:36
Run Wales wrote (see)
kittenkat wrote (see)

It's a really sad thing, but if you make it about running you are condeming more people to die sitting on their couches, which indeed they do...

You made some really good points kittenkat.  Especially this one.

Hopefully Amelia Hill will do a balance report for the Guardian.

See the very brief email conversation above I had with apparently 'The Guardian'.

*Sigh*

kittenkat    pirate
30/01/2013 at 18:43
Amelia Hill 6:33 PM (8 minutes ago)

to me

No

kittenkat    pirate
30/01/2013 at 18:44

I guess you're working late and feeling a bit pissy? Fancy trying another angle, we're actually nice people...

kittenkat    pirate
30/01/2013 at 18:56

Oh well, let's see how this gets misreported... and on...and on...

For an apparant 'Guardian' employee to email me in such an unprofessional and childish way. Fuck me guys, get your minions sorted.

30/01/2013 at 18:58
An even and balanced article then..... Can't beat the old Graurniad
30/01/2013 at 19:04

If you read the Grauniad, especially on-line, you will know how bad their journalistic standards have dropped. Rusbridger the editor has sacked everyone; it's all freelancers writing "sensational" stories just to get their internet profile up.

It's not quite the Daily Mail but it's getting close.

30/01/2013 at 19:07

I do think this would be a really good subject for Runners' World to look at.

What's available on-line and what you should avoid, most of the readers are newbies doing first longer runs. There must be some temptation to take "magic" potions.

In our running club it's Beetroot juice and some disgusting V8 type drink that are "flavour" of the month.

Edited: 30/01/2013 at 19:07
kittenkat    pirate
30/01/2013 at 19:11
Piers wrote (see)

If you read the Grauniad, especially on-line, you will know how bad their journalistic standards have dropped. Rusbridger the editor has sacked everyone; it's all freelancers writing "sensational" stories just to get their internet profile up.

It's not quite the Daily Mail but it's getting close.

This journalist obviously has no idea about the running world at all, not her fault maybe because she's been detailed to get a 'story', but you might as well write  a fairytale... Which seems to be happening.

kittenkat    pirate
30/01/2013 at 19:14

And my exclamation that it's not a running story has obviously singed her. I feel a letter to the Editor coming on somewhere down the line, after she's completely discarded the opinions of long established runners.

30/01/2013 at 19:20

I'm not "singed", Kate, I'm busy filing a piece. I'm afraid I felt that your immediate responses to my request for people's experiences were aggressive and prejudicial. I want to write a reasoned, balanced article - which means I don't want to talk to people who accuse me of being illiterate or who assume I report "like the Daily Crap."  I came to Runner's World because I took it to be a hub of rational, fair debate. To find myself 'trolled' after posting a simple request, has disabused me of that assumption. Goodnight all.

30/01/2013 at 19:21

legal running stimulants  - does these actually exist? Other than caffeine of course.

30/01/2013 at 19:22
And that told you KK
61 to 80 of 224 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.