Why would an average marathon runner such as Claire Squires take drugs to...

81 to 100 of 148 messages
31/01/2013 at 12:05
David Falconer 3 wrote (see)
But all caffeine does is speed up your nervous system, your nervous system is already up and about (kind of hard to be sleep walking your way around a marathon course).

That's precisely the point for the stimulant.  Sleep walking is the very experience you have when you genuinely "hit the wall" during the marathon, i.e. the point at which the brain starts running low on glycogen being supplied by the liver. 

31/01/2013 at 12:05
Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)
It really crazy and bewildering that people think they need stimulants to run a marathon but if you look on threads such as the Brighton marathon you will find all these self appointed experts ( having ran last years in 6 hours) advocating caffeine drinks and popping Ibuprofen along the way.

There are an awful lot of mugs out there that take everything at face value and never question anything

But doesn't Coke + painkillers get you high?  Maybe that makes the race more enjoyable

31/01/2013 at 12:09

Does no-one read the science?  Or have you all got me on ignore?

The benefits of caffeine is not the 'stimulate' part - necessarily - it's the 'release the fat' part.

Rafiki    pirate
31/01/2013 at 12:09

It does make you wondr how many other people are out there doing these kind of things just assuming 'If I take caffeine, its the same as energy, therefore it will be good for me.'

Caffeine is said to increase the early release and mobility of free fatty acids into the blood, which helps to increase muscle fat oxidation and lower carbohydrate oxidation.  Therefore, muscle glycogen is spared and can be used for later use during exercise. So, yes, in that sense, in moderation, it is 'good' for them.

David - can I ask how many marathons you have run?

Rafiki    pirate
31/01/2013 at 12:10

Sorry - x post there GymAddict.

seren nos yn canu    pirate
31/01/2013 at 12:12
seren nos wrote (see)

I take caffiene gels as they do not provide coca cola and i can't go more than a couple of hours awake without some

seren nos wrote (see)

I take caffiene gels as they do not provide coca cola and i can't go more than a couple of hours awake without some

But all caffeine does is speed up your nervous system, your nervous system is already up and about (kind of hard to be sleep walking your way around a marathon course).

Slow release energy, not caffeine is what you want.

thanks for the advice David............but maybe you should wait until your marathon time is faster than this overweight middle aged housewife

31/01/2013 at 12:12

Thanks Rafiki - I was beginning to think I was talking to myself

31/01/2013 at 12:14
GymAddict wrote (see)

Does no-one read the science?  Or have you all got me on ignore?

The benefits of caffeine is not the 'stimulate' part - necessarily - it's the 'release the fat' part.

I agree with you! I'm not against caffeine gels per se, but I do think that given it is a stimulant (regardless of that not being the reason it is included in gels etc) it would be wise for someone with an existing heart condition to check with their cardiologist whether it was safe for them to use it during a race or any other activity where their heartrate would be elevated.

Edited: 31/01/2013 at 12:15
K80
31/01/2013 at 12:31

Bwhahhaa!!! OK fair enough.

Anyways Im not taking caffeine no matter what, you lot go for your life.

I'd rather put in extra time in the gym

Ay, it's nice and warm in the gym. Can't help feel that a bona fide runner would be training outside

31/01/2013 at 12:32

Yes, if first aid is for wimps surely gyms are too? 

31/01/2013 at 12:53

... I do all my running outside, never go near the gym.  From memory, my marathon time is at least half-hour quicker than yours ... 

31/01/2013 at 13:07

It would if he enjoyed learning German. 

GA - Thanks, I don't think I'd heard about the fat-releasing angle.  I'll have my usual morning coffee, out of habit more than anything else, but aim on getting round the race on water and sugary drinks.

K80
31/01/2013 at 13:16
stutyr wrote (see)

... I do all my running outside, never go near the gym.  From memory, my marathon time is at least half-hour quicker than yours ... 

Slightly unfair as Im relatively new to this lark ......

Of course if you had only started running since Xmas, then I take it all back

Anyway basing the results purely on end times is a little simplistic. If I spent 1 hour a day learning German using one method, and you spent 3 hours a day learning German using another method, and then after a year we did a test and you could only speak German slightly better than I could would that prove that your method was better?

I have to say that DF3 reminds me of my teenage son. I'm baffled by his logic and unable to offer counter argument, I just have to laugh out loud

P.S. Don't knock Rocky 3, it's one of the best films ever, ever, ever.

Rafiki    pirate
31/01/2013 at 13:24

I'm sure its Rocky IV where he trains in Siberia in the snow ...... although if I've got this wrong, I'd be almost be relieved!!!

31/01/2013 at 13:29

I do run outside on long runs, but the gym also allows you to do cross trainer and rowing to help ease the stress on the joints.

Remember its about training smarter not longer

David - are you featured in this video at all 

31/01/2013 at 13:39

Pretty sure it's Rocky IV when he fights Ivan Drago.  It's dedicated to the Afghans.

Rocky III is against Clubber Lang aka Mr T.

Rafiki    pirate
31/01/2013 at 13:41

Completely off topic, but it does prove david wrong  Rocky IV - "To avenge Apollo, Rocky challenges Drago to a rematch, which is to be held Christmas Day in Moscow. In a montage replete with symbolism, Rocky is shown training in a remote cabin in Siberia with the help of Creed's old trainer Duke, his brother-in-law Paulie and (eventually) Adrian, doing exercises such as chopping wood, lifting rocks, running in the snow and climbing a mountain filled with snow"

31/01/2013 at 13:44

Rocky IV at the Catford cinema was the highest level of audience participation I've ever seen.  Everyone was going mental.  Maybe it was a Catford thing.

31/01/2013 at 13:46

A big, ironic thank you to the principal contributors to this forum thread.  You have portrayed runners to the wider community as angry, hysterical, ranting, obnoxious arseholes.

That Guardian journalist to whom you were so effortlessly offensive, wrote a piece that was a model of objective balance, honesty and sensitivity.  I'm not surprised that she was made to feel unwelcome here.  You should be ashamed.  I certainly will not be coming to this troll-domain for intelligent discussion in the future.

K80
31/01/2013 at 13:48
K80 wrote (see)
stutyr wrote (see)

Slightly unfair as Im relatively new to this lark ......

Of course if you had only started running since Xmas, then I take it all back

Anyway basing the results purely on end times is a little simplistic. If I spent 1 hour a day learning German using one method, and you spent 3 hours a day learning German using another method, and then after a year we did a test and you could only speak German slightly better than I could would that prove that your method was better?

I have to say that DF3 reminds me of my teenage son. I'm baffled by his logic and unable to offer counter argument, I just have to laugh out loud

P.S. Don't knock Rocky 3, it's one of the best films ever, ever, ever.

Rafiki wrote (see)

Completely off topic, but it does prove david wrong  Rocky IV - "To avenge Apollo, Rocky challenges Drago to a rematch, which is to be held Christmas Day in Moscow. In a montage replete with symbolism, Rocky is shown training in a remote cabin in Siberia with the help of Creed's old trainer Duke, his brother-in-law Paulie and (eventually) Adrian, doing exercises such as chopping wood, lifting rocks, running in the snow and climbing a mountain filled with snow"

Oh blox! I stand corrected, Rocky 3 was rubbish. Not hard to see why my teenage son can outwit me

81 to 100 of 148 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.