Why would an average marathon runner such as Claire Squires take drugs to...

101 to 120 of 148 messages
31/01/2013 at 14:02
GymAddict wrote (see)

There are some studies on caffeine as a supplement to aid endurance - hence the reason it is popping up in lots of gels now.

I believe it is said to improve fat metabolism thereby prolonging glycogen stores - but I haven't looking into it much as I cannot tolerate caffeine whilst exercising.

I live on tea , coffee and alcohol. I occasionally drink water or milk. 

Today I went out and ran 11 miles (av pace 6:39) off the back of 3 large mugs of tea and a mug of coffee. 

Doesn't affect my sleep patterns either, I can post at 3, 4, 5 or 6 in the morning no problem.

31/01/2013 at 14:15
Did someone just call me a ranting obnoxious arsehole?
31/01/2013 at 14:15
I don't rant
K80
31/01/2013 at 14:18
peter groome wrote (see)

A big, ironic thank you to the principal contributors to this forum thread.  You have portrayed runners to the wider community as angry, hysterical, ranting, obnoxious arseholes.

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/679435/gallery/handbags.jpg?width=350

Peter your posting has to be up there with the most angry, hysterical, ranting and obnoxious.

31/01/2013 at 14:20
What the funk are the wider community doing on here?
31/01/2013 at 14:21

Wider community = Grauniad readers

31/01/2013 at 14:25

Entertaining thread, despite the "ranting".

To echo what someone else has already said, try reading the Guardian article, it's pretty informative and balanced. It also (kind of) answers the question which is the title of this thread. She wasn't knowingly "taking drugs". So my answer is: because she didn't know the "supplement" she was taking contained any "drugs".

31/01/2013 at 14:25

I got into the marathon first time of asking, ran it 6 times, had a best of 2:41 and only ever used water - all this stuff about gels and stuff - not in my day!!!!!!

31/01/2013 at 14:26
David Falconer 3 wrote (see)
peter groome wrote (see)

A big, ironic thank you to the principal contributors to this forum thread.  You have portrayed runners to the wider community as angry, hysterical, ranting, obnoxious arseholes.

That Guardian journalist to whom you were so effortlessly offensive, wrote a piece that was a model of objective balance, honesty and sensitivity.  I'm not surprised that she was made to feel unwelcome here.  You should be ashamed.  I certainly will not be coming to this troll-domain for intelligent discussion in the future.

Woah peter ..... chill a second there bud ..... I think you'll find that once youve actually looked at the numbers very few (oh for the sake of argument lets call them all kittenkat) were offensive to her, and a majority, lets call them (oh me for example), were like 'well lets wait and see what the piece is like.

I've read through the whole thread, and while KittenKat is undoubtedly the arsehole di tutti arseholes for reacting to Amelia Hill the way she did, let's not forget you started the whole thing off by having a thinly veiled pop at a dead girl. Which could be seen as a bit obnoxious. Oh no hang on, you're actually a martyr to free speech for daring to 'tell it how it is' - it's sometimes difficult to tell the difference.

31/01/2013 at 14:33

And did you the see the very brief coverage on the BBC news last night? They essentially said "Woman took drugs and then died running the London Marathon".

Very unfair on her.

31/01/2013 at 14:54

So after all that ,science proves that caffeine does aid endurance runners but in my case I should only use it if my cardiologist says yes and if he says no, I should stick to water , eat jelly babys and drink sweet and sugary drinks like you Rambos here. Rocky didnt do all his training outdoors-he spent a lot of time hitting meat in the slaughter house which looks a bit like my gym come to think of it. Everytime someone dies doing a marathon I get earache to quit and play golf .so please runners be careful, I cant face that !!!

Edited: 31/01/2013 at 14:54
31/01/2013 at 14:57

ah  golf, a good walk spoilt

31/01/2013 at 14:58
The Guardian article was okay but had no mention of Rocky 4 whatsoever.
31/01/2013 at 15:03

SR-Rocky4 is bound to be rereleased after all the mentions on this thread.

DaveTh Ex..- I use a buggy

31/01/2013 at 15:03
peter groome wrote (see)

That Guardian journalist to whom you were so effortlessly offensive, wrote a piece that was a model of objective balance, honesty and sensitivity.  I'm not surprised that she was made to feel unwelcome here.  You should be ashamed.  I certainly will not be coming to this troll-domain for intelligent discussion in the future.

Thank god you didn't look at any of the Asics threads from last year!

31/01/2013 at 15:04

Insurance for gol    10,000 people in the UK require hospital treatment after playing golf.....

Thinks the Grauniad is looking in the wrong place for a story

Rafiki    pirate
31/01/2013 at 15:18
Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)
The Guardian article was okay but had no mention of Rocky 4 whatsoever.

well no wonder we're all angry, hysterical and  ranting...how could they forget to mention that cinematic classic!!

31/01/2013 at 15:23

DaveTh Ex-thanks for those stats, I now have my repost so I dont have to play that dangerous game

31/01/2013 at 16:51
31/01/2013 at 17:16

Good article.  Has she been reading the thread??

"As I responded with sadness on Twitter, a handful of people raised the question of whether recent discoveries of doping amongst professional athletes had made using performance enhancing drugs more acceptable amongst amateurs. I'm no expert, but just the thought of comparing this tragic loss to the cowardly, remorseless revelations of certain cyclists makes me feel horribly uneasy. We respond with disbelief and anger when we see reports of athletes using substances to improve their performance, but the Lance Armstrongs among us know exactly what they are doing, are fully aware of the risks and must deep down be willing to make a possible sacrifice in exchange for a period of glory and a handful of gold medals or yellow shirts. That sacrifice is a loss of respect, a tarred reputation… it could be much worse. These incidences of cheating, of doping, are certainly not in any way comparable to the tragic loss of an innocent life last April; anyone who thinks it is ought to think again."

...or what I said 9 pages ago.

101 to 120 of 148 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.