Why would an average marathon runner such as Claire Squires take drugs to...

121 to 140 of 186 messages
31/01/2013 at 12:53

... I do all my running outside, never go near the gym.  From memory, my marathon time is at least half-hour quicker than yours ... 

31/01/2013 at 13:07

It would if he enjoyed learning German. 

GA - Thanks, I don't think I'd heard about the fat-releasing angle.  I'll have my usual morning coffee, out of habit more than anything else, but aim on getting round the race on water and sugary drinks.

K80
31/01/2013 at 13:16
David Falconer 3 wrote (see)
stutyr wrote (see)

... I do all my running outside, never go near the gym.  From memory, my marathon time is at least half-hour quicker than yours ... 

Slightly unfair as Im relatively new to this lark ......

Of course if you had only started running since Xmas, then I take it all back

Anyway basing the results purely on end times is a little simplistic. If I spent 1 hour a day learning German using one method, and you spent 3 hours a day learning German using another method, and then after a year we did a test and you could only speak German slightly better than I could would that prove that your method was better?

I have to say that DF3 reminds me of my teenage son. I'm baffled by his logic and unable to offer counter argument, I just have to laugh out loud

P.S. Don't knock Rocky 3, it's one of the best films ever, ever, ever.

Rafiki    pirate
31/01/2013 at 13:24

I'm sure its Rocky IV where he trains in Siberia in the snow ...... although if I've got this wrong, I'd be almost be relieved!!!

31/01/2013 at 13:29

I do run outside on long runs, but the gym also allows you to do cross trainer and rowing to help ease the stress on the joints.

Remember its about training smarter not longer

David - are you featured in this video at all 

31/01/2013 at 13:39

Pretty sure it's Rocky IV when he fights Ivan Drago.  It's dedicated to the Afghans.

Rocky III is against Clubber Lang aka Mr T.

Rafiki    pirate
31/01/2013 at 13:41

Completely off topic, but it does prove david wrong  Rocky IV - "To avenge Apollo, Rocky challenges Drago to a rematch, which is to be held Christmas Day in Moscow. In a montage replete with symbolism, Rocky is shown training in a remote cabin in Siberia with the help of Creed's old trainer Duke, his brother-in-law Paulie and (eventually) Adrian, doing exercises such as chopping wood, lifting rocks, running in the snow and climbing a mountain filled with snow"

31/01/2013 at 13:44

Rocky IV at the Catford cinema was the highest level of audience participation I've ever seen.  Everyone was going mental.  Maybe it was a Catford thing.

31/01/2013 at 13:46

A big, ironic thank you to the principal contributors to this forum thread.  You have portrayed runners to the wider community as angry, hysterical, ranting, obnoxious arseholes.

That Guardian journalist to whom you were so effortlessly offensive, wrote a piece that was a model of objective balance, honesty and sensitivity.  I'm not surprised that she was made to feel unwelcome here.  You should be ashamed.  I certainly will not be coming to this troll-domain for intelligent discussion in the future.

K80
31/01/2013 at 13:48
K80 wrote (see)
stutyr wrote (see)

Slightly unfair as Im relatively new to this lark ......

Of course if you had only started running since Xmas, then I take it all back

Anyway basing the results purely on end times is a little simplistic. If I spent 1 hour a day learning German using one method, and you spent 3 hours a day learning German using another method, and then after a year we did a test and you could only speak German slightly better than I could would that prove that your method was better?

I have to say that DF3 reminds me of my teenage son. I'm baffled by his logic and unable to offer counter argument, I just have to laugh out loud

P.S. Don't knock Rocky 3, it's one of the best films ever, ever, ever.

Rafiki wrote (see)

Completely off topic, but it does prove david wrong  Rocky IV - "To avenge Apollo, Rocky challenges Drago to a rematch, which is to be held Christmas Day in Moscow. In a montage replete with symbolism, Rocky is shown training in a remote cabin in Siberia with the help of Creed's old trainer Duke, his brother-in-law Paulie and (eventually) Adrian, doing exercises such as chopping wood, lifting rocks, running in the snow and climbing a mountain filled with snow"

Oh blox! I stand corrected, Rocky 3 was rubbish. Not hard to see why my teenage son can outwit me

31/01/2013 at 14:02
GymAddict wrote (see)

There are some studies on caffeine as a supplement to aid endurance - hence the reason it is popping up in lots of gels now.

I believe it is said to improve fat metabolism thereby prolonging glycogen stores - but I haven't looking into it much as I cannot tolerate caffeine whilst exercising.

I live on tea , coffee and alcohol. I occasionally drink water or milk. 

Today I went out and ran 11 miles (av pace 6:39) off the back of 3 large mugs of tea and a mug of coffee. 

Doesn't affect my sleep patterns either, I can post at 3, 4, 5 or 6 in the morning no problem.

31/01/2013 at 14:15
Did someone just call me a ranting obnoxious arsehole?
31/01/2013 at 14:15
I don't rant
K80
31/01/2013 at 14:18
peter groome wrote (see)

A big, ironic thank you to the principal contributors to this forum thread.  You have portrayed runners to the wider community as angry, hysterical, ranting, obnoxious arseholes.

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/679435/gallery/handbags.jpg?width=350

Peter your posting has to be up there with the most angry, hysterical, ranting and obnoxious.

31/01/2013 at 14:20
What the funk are the wider community doing on here?
31/01/2013 at 14:21

Wider community = Grauniad readers

31/01/2013 at 14:25

Entertaining thread, despite the "ranting".

To echo what someone else has already said, try reading the Guardian article, it's pretty informative and balanced. It also (kind of) answers the question which is the title of this thread. She wasn't knowingly "taking drugs". So my answer is: because she didn't know the "supplement" she was taking contained any "drugs".

31/01/2013 at 14:25

I got into the marathon first time of asking, ran it 6 times, had a best of 2:41 and only ever used water - all this stuff about gels and stuff - not in my day!!!!!!

31/01/2013 at 14:26
peter groome wrote (see)

That Guardian journalist to whom you were so effortlessly offensive, wrote a piece that was a model of objective balance, honesty and sensitivity.  I'm not surprised that she was made to feel unwelcome here.  You should be ashamed.  I certainly will not be coming to this troll-domain for intelligent discussion in the future.

Woah peter ..... chill a second there bud ..... I think you'll find that once youve actually looked at the numbers very few (oh for the sake of argument lets call them all kittenkat) were offensive to her, and a majority, lets call them (oh me for example), were like 'well lets wait and see what the piece is like.

I've read through the whole thread, and while KittenKat is undoubtedly the arsehole di tutti arseholes for reacting to Amelia Hill the way she did, let's not forget you started the whole thing off by having a thinly veiled pop at a dead girl. Which could be seen as a bit obnoxious. Oh no hang on, you're actually a martyr to free speech for daring to 'tell it how it is' - it's sometimes difficult to tell the difference.

31/01/2013 at 14:33

And did you the see the very brief coverage on the BBC news last night? They essentially said "Woman took drugs and then died running the London Marathon".

Very unfair on her.

121 to 140 of 186 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.