Windy Race

Advice for Windy Miller

5 messages
18/07/2005 at 11:41
I have just been running only 6 months and have been gradually building up distance and speeds. Last week I did 17 kms in my preparation for the Half Marathon in August. I took it easy because I didn't know how I would cope. It went fine and did it in 1hr 27 mins. I recovered fine lowering my pulse below 100 in 2 mins. The problem I had though was with my stomach. I felt like I wanted to do a number 2 from 10 kms onwards. Not only that I had to let a little pressure from my stomach as I was running. I've done a search for stomach prolems whilst running but haven't found anything. Is this a common reaction to longer distances. Whe I was getting a little tired around 15 kms it was really plaguing me and that worries me for moving on up to full marathon maybe next year. Anyadvice
18/07/2005 at 11:50
I think there has been a very long thread on this subject of "windy runs".

Runners trots are fairly common as are "windy runs".

I tend to suffer more from "windy runs" in the evening usually starts after about 40 mins to an hour and doesn't last long. I just make sure I am not too close to my running partner at the time.

This sort of time may settle itself as you get fitter.
18/07/2005 at 11:58
Try running on empty (if you don't do it already). You shouldn't eat for at least 2 4 hours before a training run so that all food is digested. Actual time will depend on how quickly your digestive system works.

This means that yyor will have time to evacuate your system before you run.

If you have a sensible diet you will have enough glycogen stored in your muscles to get you to 16 - 18 miles with no problems.

Hope you're following a decent training schedule. Your pace seems on the high side for someone with only 6 months running experience.
JJ

JJ
18/07/2005 at 12:11
I guess my eating a BBQ 2 hours before the run didn't help matters. But that was good to hear about Glycogen for the run. I have been wondering about carbo loading etc. I have been following a low carb diet for six mnths and have lost 40Lbs and don't want to shock my system just to get the muscles loaded. I haven't had any problems with the running and have have been training a lot recently. I've had 2 weeks at over 40Kms training runs the last two weeks. I'm now concerned about my ability to pace myself though. My aim for the half marathon is 1hr 44mins. I know I can do this after my run last week. But it's how much I can up my tempo and maintain it and also not get the wanting toilet sensation distraction for another 5 kms.
18/07/2005 at 12:47
I am not a fan of low carb diets.

Race pace should really only be done in a race, for tempo runs you do race pace for short periods, long runs should be done at a slower pace than race pace.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
5 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.