Winter running

The best ways to keep going & mileage up?

21 to 30 of 30 messages
06/10/2011 at 20:05
During the good weather I am running near a golf course, along a quiet canal path in a nicer area and near a nice loch. I would not use these in the winter as they are totally isolated (especially the canal run).

Maybe I just nee to "man up"
06/10/2011 at 20:17

Yep, man up and get out there  Just give it ago, you never know, you might like it!

06/10/2011 at 20:24

I prefer to run in the dark, but then im very new to runnng and i just dont want to be seen huffing, puffing & red faced .  I'm not worried bout idiots or boogymen, they tend to stay in when its cold & dark, but being able to see where im going is a necessity !!

06/10/2011 at 21:26
I've always been weary about going out after dark on my own, being a woman who's grown up in London. However since I've been running over the last 3 years, I've realised that I just couldn't do it in the winter without being in the dark. So I go as early as possible, around 6ish, whilst there are still commuters around walking back from the tube station etc., and stick to the bigger roads. I don't like running on main roads but I like running on a treadmill even less. And not at all even less than that. No headphones either for safety reasons. I figure that if it's safe for all those female commuters, it's even safer for me, who can run away from a nutter! Also I do as OP says, and do my long run on the weekend- Saturday mornings usually whilst one of the kids is doing his sporting activities. I've not long ago joined a running club too, which is fantastic, so I shall be continuing to go on their women's run on a Wednesday night. It's fantastic running in the winter, even in the snow. There's something very magical about fresh crunchy snow underfoot and the light it gives off at night. The only thing that drives me to the dreaded treadmill is ice.
HTH
06/10/2011 at 21:34
Running club for me and I'm one of those sad people that don't mind the treadmill
06/10/2011 at 21:41
Running club may be a good way for me too. Thanks to all for the replies - helping me out.
06/10/2011 at 21:42

I suspect I'm more likely to break my neack falling over in the dark than be attacked. That would be the kind of thing that would happen, I'd hit a wonky paving slab or root & go arse over tit!

I joined a club, so that gets me 2 runs mid week, long run at the weekend. Other than that, I have a head torch, which works but is a very strange experience to run with, or choose lit routes, maybe to the park, round it a few times & home again. It's a case of being a bit sensible, but not living in fear of the unlikely hypothetical.

I really like long winters runs though, something entirely satisfying about seeing your breathing and feeling the contrast between the cold on your face and the warmth generated internally. That and the completely disbelieveing looks from walkers who are wrapped up in umpteen layers while I'm still in capris!

Tommygun2    pirate
06/10/2011 at 22:10

Helen Liz and her capris

http://www.influx.co.uk/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Ford_Capri_MkII_74-77_30.jpg

Tommygun2    pirate
06/10/2011 at 22:15

Sorry it was just the image that came into my head.

During the winter and infact all year round I get up at 5 5.30am to run. Its now dark in the mornings so I have to run the streets rather than the loverly country side. The only peole I see are the early shift workers and dog walkers, I feel safe in the mornings

06/10/2011 at 22:20

I can understand why you people can be a little put off with running in the dark, I combat this with running along well populated routes (houses and businesses) and taking my phone with GPS and my music on.  I only wear one ear piece and have the music or audio book quite low so I can hear what is still going on around me. Also everyone knows that murders and kidnappers don't get up till lunchtime!

The other thing is to try and go out for a early morning run it gets lighter while you run, rather than darker. I am member of a club and go to club night at least once a week. I have encouraged a number of work friends to take up running and we often use it as a excuse to get out of the office on time and run together.  Last year we went out in the rain and the snow the trick is to concentrate more. and watch what you are doing

As for the cold, I mainly wear a long sleeve top, t-shirt over that, then something vaguely waterproof as a final layer and long running tights.  For head wear usually a beanie hat and gloves which I normally take off after 15-20 minutes (too hot!)

Edited: 06/10/2011 at 22:21

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 30 of 30 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.