Winter Running

How do you keep yourself motivated?

1 to 20 of 36 messages
31/10/2012 at 16:58

Hi guys, so the clocks have changed and the dark nights are here already.  What i want to know is how you keep yourself motivated to go out for a run in the crap weather as oposed to sitting in and watching tv? (the tv is more appealing but isnt going to help me in the marathon im training for!!)

31/10/2012 at 17:36

go before work in the morning - you don't get chance to think about it and then you can still watch tv in the evening

31/10/2012 at 17:48
Shouldn't the marathon you are doing be motivation enough ?
31/10/2012 at 17:52
Run in the morning and/or join a club.
31/10/2012 at 18:16
I am finding that having my routine helps me get out the door. On those nights I get home from work get changed and go. And as dave said having an event to aim for is also spurring me on. No motivation problems for me so far
31/10/2012 at 18:26

If your going on a run, say after work that eve, prepare dinner before you go and I dont plan anything else that evening, so you know you can relax when you get back. Also just imagine walking back through the door with another run under your belt! Whens your marathon? Ive got one in June next year so im just enjoying comfortable runs at the moment. If you know your not going to be in pain, you'll enjoy it more!

pmo
31/10/2012 at 18:53

You want to start from scratch again in the spring?

pmo
31/10/2012 at 18:56
Having an event ?

So far I've got a 10 mile, 10 km 2 half marathons a full marathon and a sprint triathlon between now and Easter....

... No time to worry if its dark ... And have yet to find anything on tv worth missing training for
31/10/2012 at 19:04

I agree, the fear of having to start again in Spring (2012 is my first year of running) is just about enough to keep me going. 

Spending £200 on winter running gear also helped - you don't want to do that only to have it sat in a wardrobe!!!

However, I also felt that cold, dark, wintery evenings when my Sky+ box is calling me would dampen my motivation, so for November (although I started 2 days early) I'm giving early morning running a try. 

31/10/2012 at 19:06
I did my first run with headlamp on yesterday after work. When I got home, the house was lovely and warm, and suddenly I was tempted to give in to temptation and just have a comfy evening on the sofa...Then I also remembered I had to do some washing, sort out the dishes, get started with dinner...The only way I got out of the door that night was not allowing myself think too much about these options. Within 2 minutes I got changed, leaving everything behind and when I returned, I felt immensely proud of myself. So my advice is simple: just get up and go!!
31/10/2012 at 19:43
Tom. wrote (see)
Run in the morning and/or join a club.

Joining a club worked for me. Great motivation!

31/10/2012 at 20:01
Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)
Having an event ?

So far I've got a 10 mile, 10 km 2 half marathons a full marathon and a sprint triathlon between now and Easter....

... No time to worry if its dark ... And have yet to find anything on tv worth missing training for

Yes. You have 6 planned

31/10/2012 at 20:07

Generally keep reminding myself that I do it because I enjoy it, and that it is incredibly rare that I regret it once I am out of the door.

Also, keep doing it really regularly, so it is just what I do, I don't have to make a choice about it.

Remembering that there is a difference between wanting to do something, and feeling like it!

Finally, tell myself that I don't need to find the motivation to do it, I just need to do it! 

01/11/2012 at 00:19

If you can't stand the weather, join a gym and train indoors.

Some winters are hell.

01/11/2012 at 00:30

i actually prefer the coler weather, and besides, its just an excuse to buy more gear

01/11/2012 at 10:36

get a dog!

I cant stay in when mine is moping over my running shoes

01/11/2012 at 10:45
I prefer training in winter.... Think I am just wierd.....
acp
01/11/2012 at 10:54

Run in the morning. And remember you'll never regret going for a run but you will always regret not going!

01/11/2012 at 11:25

I've just started early morning running and I've found that the urge to stay in bed instead of get up for a run is countered by not aching when I wake up form running late the previous night!  

In fact, so far, I've not really had the urge to stay in bed (which has surprised me) as I've been looking forward to my run too much!

01/11/2012 at 15:34
I try and run as soon as I get in from work or when my hubby gets home on my days off to look after my 18 month old. If I sit down on the sofa I'm buggered!! Xx
1 to 20 of 36 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.