Women and running

5 messages
14/03/2012 at 23:21

Something to think about and discuss from one of the papers.

Even though many of the running books I have have a section on women and running I have never

thought about how many of the methods I use as a man to get faster and recover, really work for women.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/06/30/phys-ed-what-exercise-science-doesnt-know-about-women/

It seems that its not common practice to do research on both men and women.

Unscientific  that, to assume men are the "norm"

"One goal many paths"

15/03/2012 at 08:28

There have been a few threads on similar subjects in the past when there have been journos / film-makers wanting to interview / research / film "runners" - some seemingly forgetting that women can be runners, or others, that it is possible to be a "runner" even after you've passed your 20s.

Even though many of the running books I have have a section on men and running I have never thought about how many of the methods I use a laydee to get faster and recover, really work for men.

15/03/2012 at 08:41
Hang on, you're not saying women run too are you?  Shocking.
15/03/2012 at 21:50
Quite an ignored subject - running books have a 'women's section'  which tend to concentrate on safety, proper bras and a bit about pregnancy but nothing about male/female physiology - e.g. carbo loading has found to be less effective for female runners.  Did once see a brief mention about a shorter taper for women pre marathon, but was there no further explanation.
16/03/2012 at 18:02
Wow that study is interesting! I had never thought about the protein thing, thank you for sharing!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
5 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.