Yoga

Does it help?

1 to 20 of 45 messages
11/08/2003 at 10:20
Does any one else use yoga as part of their running/fitness regime?

I am relatively new to running and it has been suggested that doing yoga aswell as my 3miles may help muscle tone and suppleness...

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Cheers
11/08/2003 at 10:28
Hi Mel.

I've been doing yoga for about 12 years and it is excellent for posture, suppleness and general well being, none of which can harm your running.

Just wish I had time to do more of it, just once a week at the moment.
11/08/2003 at 10:37
I work shifts and would find it almost impossible to attend classes regularly, would doing it at home to a video be as much benefit?

11/08/2003 at 10:44
i started using a home Vid - and found it did make a difference to my suppleness -ot in my case stiffness

there are loads out there - i got a freebie with a mag - Barbara Currie - who is a long time teacher but an acquired taste - but she is a very english version

some have american gurus on them - who are a bit difficult to take to - all depends on preference - if you do a search at Amazon there are loads with user reviews - or try your local library/video shop and try a few till you find one that works for you

most peeps reccomend going to a class as well if you can just to get some correct instruction and feedback so maybe find a class you can dip in and out of and use the videos

happy stretching !
11/08/2003 at 11:04
Cheers for your help peeps... I will endeavour to find a decent yoga video - and like you said Bune I will try and attend a few classes as I am sure I will need correcting!!

Cheers again x
11/08/2003 at 11:08
I've done it for about six years and love it. Richard's said it all really so I won't add to that.

I guess my only comment would be that without someone to correct your posture you may well not getting the full benefit so be careful with videos. It's quite amazing how you can try to "cheat" on the postures (in all innocence).
11/08/2003 at 11:14
Hello,

I do 2 classes a week and am positive that it will improve your strength, posture and suppleness.

I sometimes do it at home just using postures I have learnt in class.
If I were you I would try to attend some classes. I think maybe you should getting some books. Many of them have detailed explanations and pictures to guide you.

Have a look in the Body shop at the book they have. It shows you a very good selection of postures.

11/08/2003 at 11:58
Yep... I'm with everyone on this too. I used to get up 20mins early before I went to work to fit in a quick burst - after a few days I find that I feel less stiff when I got out of bed in the mornings. In fact, I'm not sure why I stopped doing it... must set that alarm clock early tonight and get into the habit again before the days close in on us (oooh, nice cold frosty mornings)!
11/08/2003 at 12:47
I used to do classes, but haven't really had the time recently. I definately found yoga benefitial. You should try and go to a few classes as well as using the videos, you'll find that you are more disciplined with yourself if someones actually standing over you.
11/08/2003 at 13:25
Pah, phooey! Yoga schmoga!

Take a few stretches, add a dollop of New Age mumbo-jumbo, worship a few skinny hirsute unclothed Indian gents and hey presto! Marry this to some smart marketing so you can flog loads of videos, not forgetting bits of foam at ten times their true value, and also of course some tree-hugging retreats. Result - a whole cottage industry lightening the purses of bored middle-aged middle-class housewives learning this stuff, teaching it and learning to teach it.

Sun salutations my jacksie!

Have a good chat with a qualified coach or physio, and you'll get all the core stability and stretching info you need. And you'll save a small fortune.

Not that I'm sceptical, of course :)
11/08/2003 at 13:30
Hmmm....not sure I entirely agree, Muttley. Have you ever tried yoga? (For more than a couple of lessons?) It's very good and more than just core stability and stretching such as you'd do by yourself or as recommended by a physio.
11/08/2003 at 14:11
Muttley I have to say that your comment doesnt sound as if it has anything to back it up.
Yoga is one of the oldest forms of excesice.

It comprises internal and external benefits.
Some postures even massage your Internal organs to release toxins.
If you go to a professional class with a teacher qualified by a good yoga school you will see that their last aim is to make you all put your legs behind your ears or get skinny!
Everyone can work to their own level in yoga and the way in which it works is that the more relaxed you are the more your muscles will stretch and ease into a pose.

And as for expense!! Yoga is cheaper than a physio surely!
11/08/2003 at 16:21
Mmmmm lots of stuff to give thought to there - thanx guys.

Not to sure about Mutley's thoughts on it but I suppose it's courses for horses.. and not one size fits all..

Cheers again and I'll let you know how I get on in my search for vid and classes. x
11/08/2003 at 17:15
Mel, one of the reasons you should find a good teacher rather than relying on video is that the videos (as Muttley in his inimitable style tries to point out) tend to focus much more on the flexibility and weight loss aspects of yoga. They are great as aids to home practice but are not good in isolation.

What you will find with a good teacher is that while the physical benefits are the first thing you notice, the more you do it the more it benefits your mind especially if you progress to meditation as well. For me now the benefits of yoga are 70% mental and 30% physical.
11/08/2003 at 17:30
Yes, from memory there are eight "parts" to yoga and the asanas (postures) are only one of these, although admittedly the most commonly known.

I should add that I am highly sceptical of what might be termed "New Age Bollox" and certainly wouldn't put yoga in this category.
11/08/2003 at 23:07
Some of the popular running books state that yoga isn't suitable for runners. Well, perhaps the authors should have looked a bit closer at the stretches they recommend - they're actually yoga poses! Personally, I've found that yoga has helped my running, and vice versa. Physio said it was good that I was doing yoga. Cost-wise, 1 visit to physio = 7 yoga classes!

Muttley, did you attend classes and if so, what kind of yoga? One bad teacher can really put you off, so it might be worth attending another class to see if you prefer another teacher's style.
11/08/2003 at 23:12
I get free classes at my gym, but she's very good - I'd happily pay to do her classes :)
12/08/2003 at 00:36
Yup agree with most of what has been said.
Yoga improves posture, core stability and stretches out the muscles that running and other activities shorten.
Also find a good teacher whether they are at a yoga centre, gym or your local community hall. Good teacher being defined by somebody who explains in detail the pose that you should be getting into and adjusting you if they see that you are doing it incorrectly. Don't be worried about the adjustment, it is for your good and may stop you getting a long term injury, which can happen if you do some poses incorrectly.
I had knee pain, went to physio who gave me exercises which I couldn't be bothered to do.
Long story short now do about 20 mins yoga before each run and no more knee pain. Funnily the exercises the physio gave are very similar to yoga poses.

I personally have just come back from a fantastic yoga weekend run by a teacher I like and trust. Learnt lots of new poses as well as better ways of doing the ones that I already know. Also taught me sequences of poses.
Helpful in that I can no go back to the books and practice some more, now that I have done the poses and been told how to do them correctly.

Sorry to have rambled and hope this helps.
12/08/2003 at 08:12
In a way, what Sam and Pup say confirms my rant further up the thread - a qualified physio will give you all the info. If you can be bothered to follow up the advice :)

Anyway, good luck, Mel. Just thought I'd stick my oar in - gets a bit boring when everyone agrees.

Ommmmm .... :)
12/08/2003 at 08:14
PS - be sure to choose wisely.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3141501.stm
1 to 20 of 45 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.