You know these women only running event things ...is there a particular reason

21 to 40 of 100 messages
cougie    pirate
12/02/2013 at 11:26
If you're a motorist and you hate cyclists - then you shouldn't be allowed a licence.

The roads are fine.
12/02/2013 at 11:29

Agree with Cougie, nothing wrong with the roads.

Cyclist hating drivers are just idiots. Near me is mostly country roads with no pavements. I go running on them and the cars give me plenty of room. I head out on the bike on the same roads and I can almost guarantee at least one idiot will try and cut me up.

12/02/2013 at 11:54

women's only races have greatly encouraged participation. that seems a good enough reason.

there are fewer male only races because there just isn't the demand.

12/02/2013 at 13:08
Wilkie wrote (see)
Screamapillar wrote (see)

I'm not saying either is right or wrong but there are men only events too. Perhaps that's not equality, but at least it's equally discriminatory.

That's just as wrong in my view.  Two wrongs don't make a right, as my mum used to say.

What's the justification for it?  Shy, insecure, body-consious men don't want to run with a bunch of nasty judgemental women?  It will encourage more men into running?  Or just because women have women-only races, so we'll have a men-only one?

What's the justification? They raise a lot of money for cancer charities.

And what Dude says.

12/02/2013 at 13:19
David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

And what Dude says.

So women will only bother raising money for cancers that affect women if they can run in women only events ..... if they have to share an event with men, then bugger it, no funds to fight breast cancer.

Yeah right.

To be honest, yes some women wouldn't do a mix sex race. Is that really so hard to grasp?

12/02/2013 at 14:34

Sometimes I think it'd be nice to have men only yoga - I mean men tend to be less flexible than women and the thought of walking into what is inevitably going to be a room full of women who can put their head on their feet with straight legs when you can't even touch your toes is somewhat intimidating.   Then the other part of me thinks stop being so silly.  

Similar views on R4L - I can understand why some women feel a bit intimidated by normal running races but in truth they are being a bit silly - if they just entered a race they'd probably find out that running races aren't male dominated ultra competitive events at all.   Nothing like as bad as a man has to go through to take up yoga ! 

12/02/2013 at 14:56
Eggyh73 wrote (see)

And what Dude says.

So women will only bother raising money for cancers that affect women if they can run in women only events ..... if they have to share an event with men, then bugger it, no funds to fight breast cancer.

Yeah right.

To be honest, yes some women wouldn't do a mix sex race. Is that really so hard to grasp?

Its not that hard to grasp ........ doesnt make it right though does it?

Personally I find it pathetic that their are women who would rather not raise money for charity if it means having to  run alongside a man ........ but hey ho, there are people who wont sit next to a black person on a bus, so the world is full of weird people.

I,m not sure thats the case , its more likely that they wish to raise money for breast cancer and doing the sponsored orgainised runs is the best way to do it.Having done one the majority of entries are not regular runners but doing it as a one off to rasie money.

12/02/2013 at 15:19

Funnily enough (or not) the only men-only event I've done was a Bobby Moore cancer charity 5k.  (You could smell the testosterone!  And I won!)  The only reason I did it was because it was extremely local, and a female friend was doing the R4L event at the same time.  (And it was a good cause for paying my entrance fee and raising a bit for charity.)

I'm not totally anti- the idea of women-only events but the whole business of only women being allowed to partake in R4L events to raise money for a breast cancer charity strikes me as a little odd.  Never mind the small number of men who suffer from breast cancer as well, it seems to give off the idea that if it's only/mainly women who directly suffer from it, it's only of interest to women to raise money for it - and the corollary with men and prostate cancer - as if there aren't husbands, sons, brother, sisters, wives, girlfriends and friends who wouldn't like to get involved as well.

Edited: 12/02/2013 at 15:19
12/02/2013 at 15:20

Well in truth you can run any race for charity you want. There's nothing to stop anyone raising funds for whoever they want at any event they enter. You certainly don't have to run a charity organised event to raise funds for charity if that is your objective.

Some women do have issues doing sport with men. Someone earlier laughed at the thought of womens only night at the swimming pool, but I know my local swimming pool still has one. Many gyms also have a womens only night. It's a great shame they feel embarrassed or uncomfortable doing sport with men about, but you can't hide from the fact these things exist exactly for that reason.

The atmosphere at these events can be totally different too. I know for a fact having been down to support someone at the Glasgow womens 10km once that the final pen at that race was full of women in normal everyday clothes and shoes and full make-up, not running gear. They all walked from the off. To them it was a day out event not a race. Folk like that would never turn up at a local club organised 10km. The women club runners in the first pen who would easily thrash me in a 10km would, but to them it's just another race or PB attempt.

12/02/2013 at 15:42

And what Dude says.

Yeah right.

David, did you actually read my post or did you just go off on one again?

Both men only and women only races raise a lot of money for charity and, in my view, that justifies them. In fact it's pretty much the only thing that justifies them since they aren't really races at all - they are charity fun runs. I think that's something that everyone needs to bear in mind when they are jumping up and down and getting all indignant.

The bottom line is that there are a few "running events", which aren't even proper races, which exclude members of the opposite sex. There are some women who enter these events because they aren't comfortable running alongside men. And why should anyone give a toss? Most of them aren't even runners. Maybe next time they'll sit in a tub of baked beans instead. Maybe they'll just send a cheque. Maybe they'll support another charity entirely. 

Why make an issue about something that isn't one?

12/02/2013 at 16:11
kittenkat wrote (see)

I used to question women only races, I have no problem with racing men because I beat most of them But I soon realised that I very much come from a background of being good at sport and confident in it.

Men generally have more confidence to just go out and do it, women don't and there are lots of reasons for this, of course including how women have been excluded historically as sport was organised by men for men (did my degree in this shit all those years ago).

I have done a few women only races, and it's actually an atmosphere that does bring out the confidence of some women who wouldn't race otherwise and yes, it's also great to be leading a race, not that I need that on a personal level but it's pretty cool. However one of those races I talk about had Jo Pavey in it, so I didn't win that one!

What KittenKat said! My wife has happily done the Race for Life, but just wouldn't want in general to do any other running event. It's all very well for people to denigrate the idea, but it's a simple fact that some women don't have the confidence, for whatever reason, to do events that involve men. It's not 'the' solution to the problem, but it's certainly one route to it - certainly if from running a women-only event they get the confidence to go beyond that.

12/02/2013 at 16:37

...and while we are at it we should have woman only football matches, woman only pubs, woman only schools, woman only forums and woman only shopping centres...(actually you can have the last one).

Joking aside, making exclusions just because one group doesn't much like another is a sad act in this day and age, 'charity' or otherwise.

12/02/2013 at 16:49
I have done RfL but also some half marathons and it never even crossed my mind to be uncomfortable running alongside men.
12/02/2013 at 17:02

What i'd like to know is this.

Are they allowed to wear i-pods in women only races?

12/02/2013 at 17:20
Rob_Cooper wrote (see)

...and while we are at it we should have woman only football matches, woman only pubs, woman only schools, woman only forums and woman only shopping centres...(actually you can have the last one).

Joking aside, making exclusions just because one group doesn't much like another is a sad act in this day and age, 'charity' or otherwise.

Having done RFL a couple of times, it has,nt actually got anything to do with not liking another group/running with men.I  believe its more a comaraderie type thing..........I mean most do it in fancy dress, wigs etc and run with tabards dedicating their run and money raised, to relatives and friends who have won the fight against breast cancer or lost it.....in fact I think it would be a brill fund raising idea if they let guys run these races , but make them dress up in pink .I would,nt recommend these runs for serious guys though most ladies power walk the course and walk /run in groups so you can,t get pastYou competitive guys would soon get hacked off

Edited: 12/02/2013 at 17:21
12/02/2013 at 17:22

I really really can't think what the issue is here. Some women want to run in women-only races. So what? End of the world for some, it seems.

12/02/2013 at 17:55

It's a point of principle about discrimination - we don't accept that in other areas of society so why is this any different?

If men were allowed to run it wearing pink then that's fine. To exlude them full stop is not. Don't assume I'm always competitive and wouldn't wear pink for a good cause...

seren nos yn canu    pirate
12/02/2013 at 18:02

but isn't all sport discrimination................apart from horse riding which other sport do women and men compete againgst each other.........

as a women i can't play in a mens rubgy football or hockey team or vice versa........this isn't on ability its in the rules.........

in most sports they have a separate event for men and women.............the only reason that the majority of races are for both men and women is that its easier and cheaper to do it that way.........as soon as it is set up for serious runners then they seperate the races  like in teh olympics.

12/02/2013 at 18:04

Should also add that R4L is a fundraiser for Cancer Researh UK, which as best I can work out covers all types of cancer (prostate, testicular, lung to name a few) - where does the idea that It's a breast cancer only charity and therefore woman only/ mainly issue come from?

12/02/2013 at 18:08
Rob_Cooper wrote (see)

It's a point of principle about discrimination - we don't accept that in other areas of society so why is this any different?

If men were allowed to run it wearing pink then that's fine. To exlude them full stop is not. Don't assume I'm always competitive and wouldn't wear pink for a good cause...

The Bobby Moore runs exclude women. Care to comment Rob?

My point is who really gives a monkeys? There are more genuine matters of discrimination to get wound up about for those who really want to.

Edited: 12/02/2013 at 18:11
21 to 40 of 100 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.