You know these women only running event things ...is there a particular reason

41 to 60 of 100 messages
12/02/2013 at 18:11

Seren - professional sport yes, then physical differences often make it sensible to have a split. But as you know there would be many woman (you) in a 5k that would kick the butt of many of the men (me) so you can't really use the same justification for R4L. Add to that we are talking about a cancer charity in this case, which is an issue that affects everybody, then the splitting/ excluding part seems unjustified.

12/02/2013 at 18:12

Bobby Moore Run - same charity, same principle, still wrong.

seren nos yn canu    pirate
12/02/2013 at 18:13

the majority of women in the R4l aren't racing it and so are in a different catergory to you or me..........but they are taking part in some exercise so that has to be a good thing.......

12/02/2013 at 18:38
Rob_Cooper wrote (see)

Bobby Moore Run - same charity, same principle, still wrong.

And still not very important in the grand scheme of things.

Edited: 12/02/2013 at 18:39
Ye Olde Dragon    pirate
12/02/2013 at 19:14

as KK says, R4L is an event that is going from strength to strength. It has encouraged some women to take up running, but lots don't, they just do this event every year. It's a great atmosphere, lots of camaraderie and lots of touching stories, people who have survived cancer and people who have lost those to cancer come together to a) celebrate/commemorate and b) raise money for cancer research.

I really do think that if men participated that it would change the event from what it is.

Men and women are not the same - who would want it?

for example:

12/02/2013 at 20:57

The way I got into running back in 2009 was with friends, doing a RfL 5k.  I would never have had the guts to do a more competitive / mixed race back then, as a very slow, previously very overweight mum, who'd never been any good at sport.  I was so nervous as it was and the camaraderie put me at ease.  I've done a couple of the 10k RfL since, as I like the friendliness, and I've run alongside friends who've seen how much I enjoy running and who also want to try a very non-competitive event.   I now do a fair few other mixed / more competitive HMs, 10 mile and 10k races per year, as well as doing some of the league races with my running club.  Of course now entering a race is no big deal and although I'll never be the fastest, or anywhere near, I'm an averagely experienced runner.  I think it's a great way for women like me to get into running, and I honestly would never have had the confidence to enter a race before doing it.  I don't see the problem.  As others have said, it's a fun charity fundraising event primarily, not a serious running event. But if it gives you the running bug as well, as it did with me, then everyone's a winner really?

12/02/2013 at 22:55

I think, David, that Nessie73 above you explains very eloquently why it's necessary. Taking it to an absurd extreme like you've done doesn't make any particular point.

12/02/2013 at 23:16
Peter - Maybe David is just highlighting the awful conditions and persecution of the white western male. They can't run a handful of events. What horror awaits them next?
13/02/2013 at 00:40
Screamapillar wrote (see)
Rob_Cooper wrote (see)

It's a point of principle about discrimination - we don't accept that in other areas of society so why is this any different?

If men were allowed to run it wearing pink then that's fine. To exlude them full stop is not. Don't assume I'm always competitive and wouldn't wear pink for a good cause...

The Bobby Moore runs exclude women. Care to comment Rob?

My point is who really gives a monkeys? There are more genuine matters of discrimination to get wound up about for those who really want to.

That's a non argument though - who gives a monkeys about 99% of the stuff on this forum - nobody said that posting about something meant it had to be a major preoccupation.   

Yes in the scheme of things R4L excluding men isn't important - but there is still a principle of discrimination there and the argument it reinforces stereotypes about how women engage in sport.   I accept that set against that is the fact it maybe does bring some women into running who wouldn't otherwise so there are arguments on both sides and maybe the positives outweight the negatives - doesn't mean there aren't genuine negatives though.  

13/02/2013 at 08:20

There would be no room for pansies as the Daily Mail website is the preserve of the clinically insane and completely retarded.

13/02/2013 at 08:41
Eggyh73 wrote (see)

There would be no room for pansies as the Daily Mail website is the preserve of the clinically insane and completely retarded.

^^ what he said. also, I think that's the 3rd or 4th thread you have mentioned your activity in those threads, should we be impressed you debate on newspaper comment sections?

13/02/2013 at 09:26
David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

Not impressed necessarily .......... maybe silent admiration??

You make enough noise for the rest of us

13/02/2013 at 09:45

Thing is, Popsider, it does seem to be a major preoccupation for some. 

We've had this debate about a hundred times - once was enough. Everything that had to be said was said the first time. 

I just feel that anybody who gets wound up about exclusion from something that's not even a real race and that they probably wouldn't want to take part in anyway (note the emphasis) needs to find something more worthwhile to complain about.

13/02/2013 at 14:00

That would be a shame - I get huge satisfaction from the annual threads from mid pack runners with a massive sense of entitlement whingeing that they haven't got a place in the London Marathon.

13/02/2013 at 14:02
Davi

So why not just lock the board down since everything has already been discussed?

We haven't had an appearance of Hitler yet

WiB
13/02/2013 at 14:11

Women's only races are much better from a spectating point of view!

Edited: 13/02/2013 at 14:12
WiB
seren nos yn canu    pirate
13/02/2013 at 14:15

depends on which sex rocks your boat 

WiB
13/02/2013 at 14:26

I'm sure there's a men only races you can go to if you wish seren.

I think the whole point of women's only races was that they weren't getting enough attention. Now look, there's a walk4life race in every town/park going that you can watch. Although its not normally worth hanging around for the 2nd half of the field.

hehehe

Edited: 13/02/2013 at 14:28
WiB
13/02/2013 at 14:36
David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

"We've had this debate about a hundred times - once was enough."

So basically if a topic was discussed in 2004 ......... then unless you were around there to discuss it, too bad you've missed your chance. 

I bet I could point to similar threads for EVERY thread on this board where the point has already been discussed before.

So why not just lock the board down since everything has already been discussed?

Well here's an outlandish thought - it's possible to do a search to find previous discussions - perhaps more people should try that.

13/02/2013 at 15:26

!

41 to 60 of 100 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.