You know these women only running event things ...is there a particular reason

81 to 100 of 132 messages
13/02/2013 at 14:36
David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

"We've had this debate about a hundred times - once was enough."

So basically if a topic was discussed in 2004 ......... then unless you were around there to discuss it, too bad you've missed your chance. 

I bet I could point to similar threads for EVERY thread on this board where the point has already been discussed before.

So why not just lock the board down since everything has already been discussed?

Well here's an outlandish thought - it's possible to do a search to find previous discussions - perhaps more people should try that.

13/02/2013 at 14:43
Bear B.Hind wrote (see)

That would be a shame - I get huge satisfaction from the annual threads from mid pack runners with a massive sense of entitlement whingeing that they haven't got a place in the London Marathon.

Ouch! If I didnt know better, I'd say that was a shot at me!

13/02/2013 at 15:26

!

13/02/2013 at 15:43

I'm a 30, 6'4, 17 stone male and I'm intimidated running with other men (And will be bricking it when I do my half next month) - esepcially as a relative novice. So i totally understand why women would feel intimidated.

Its my impression that R4L is a reason for women to get running that probably don't already run - probably the perfect end goal for a lady starting a C25K program.

And if it gets them started they may continue running and join more serious mixed event races. Which means the sport will be much the better for everyone

13/02/2013 at 15:46
mattywarr wrote (see)

I'm a 30, 6'4, 17 stone male and I'm intimidated running with other men (And will be bricking it when I do my half next month) - esepcially as a relative novice. So i totally understand why women would feel intimidated.

Its my impression that R4L is a reason for women to get running that probably don't already run - probably the perfect end goal for a lady starting a C25K program.

And if it gets them started they may continue running and join more serious mixed event races. Which means the sport will be much the better for everyone

I hate when someone comes in with an intelligent and reasoned debating point .......

13/02/2013 at 15:59

Between Nessie73 and Mattywarr they have the answer sussed completely here  

13/02/2013 at 16:05
David Falconer 3 wrote (see)
I hate when someone comes in with an intelligent and reasoned debating point .......

I forgot to to include the word "Annoying" in my introduction

Tommygun2    pirate
13/02/2013 at 16:09

Just as to prolong this interesting debate, how does the forum feel about women only running clubs then.

WiB
13/02/2013 at 16:11

Less spectator friendly than the races.

WiB
13/02/2013 at 16:14
Tommygun2 wrote (see)

Just as to prolong this interesting debate, how does the forum feel about women only running clubs then.

Im not sure womens only running clubs would work. I imagine it would go a bit like this.

"OK girls, today we are going to do a 20 minute run, a 10 minute walk, followed by another 20 minute run. Then afterwards, we can try some of the new Strawberry Cheesecake at Cafe Cuppa down the road."

"Ooooh that sounds nice. Does that come with extra cream does anyone know?"

"I think it does, but I might stick to the chocolate cheesecake they do as I know thats delicious."

"Oh yes I like chocolate cheesecake too, oh its so hard to choose."

"Should we go down now and have a look which is better?"

"Yes, lets go ........"

...... and basically there goes the training session .......

Tommygun2    pirate
13/02/2013 at 16:15

Like this one which is local to me

13/02/2013 at 16:21

Tommygun2 wrote (see)

Like this one which is local to me

The most offensive part of that club is their pricing!! Charge for membership, then charge to do a beginners course too? Our local club offers beginners sessions, slow pacing runs for free!

Tommygun2    pirate
13/02/2013 at 16:31

There was also the Womens Running Network but I think that went" tits up" a year or so ago.

So women only events and clubs are allowed in this world of equality.

Not that it bothers me in the slightest...........

13/02/2013 at 16:35
Tommygun2 wrote (see)

There was also the Womens Running Network but I think that went" tits up" a year or so ago.

So women only events and clubs are allowed in this world of equality.

Not that it bothers me in the slightest...........

To paraphrase a certain author ......... 'all genders are equal, but some are more equal than others.'

Tommygun2    pirate
13/02/2013 at 16:37

Its not just women only running around my way they even have a women only clycling club  

13/02/2013 at 16:37

I don't care either way, but imagine the reaction to a Men Only running club!

13/02/2013 at 18:47

Why would anyone pay money to learn to run 10k's or 1/2 marathons?

seren nos    pirate
13/02/2013 at 18:58

and we still go back to the fact that there are mens only rugby clubs, hockey clubs, cricket clubs etc..........no one cares..........so whats the problems with womens only clubs if people want to pay for them............

i wouldn't want to go to one but if there wasn't a demand and a need they wouldn't be there

13/02/2013 at 19:28

Anything that encourages more people into the sport is a good thing. No reason to feel threatened over this one!

A lot of people, men and women get put off joining clubs as they fear they'll look out of place, or be miles slower.

So a woman only event just sounds a great intro, similar to the running sisters clubs. They're a good starter vehicle, and often see newbies moving into the more established clubs when confident.

Edited: 13/02/2013 at 19:30
13/02/2013 at 19:51

So why did Katherine Switzer deliberately enter a mens only marathon in Boston ......... go and create your own then if you want to run a marathon ........ ahh but see thats different, thats for 'equality'.

Again its funny how equality is so different.

81 to 100 of 132 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.