You want to run, while we are on holiday? Do you have too!!

21 to 26 of 26 messages
25/07/2012 at 18:53

I don't mind being woken up early - and then getting to go back to sleep. 

In enhances the enjoyment, in fact, knowing that I can just go back to sleep for another hour or two!

I guess maybe I'm more tolerant - if my OH wants to do something at the weekend or on holiday which doesn't entirely suit me, I just remind myself that it's his weekend/holiday too.

I know he doesn't mind if I want to go off and do something for an hour ot two that he doesn't want to do.

25/07/2012 at 19:42

Who's to say she's being intolerant?  Presumably the OP works full time.  It may be that his wife owrks either full or part time, or she may be a stay at home mum.  Either way, its reasonable to assume that, given his pastime, she takes on the bulk of the childcare and quite possibly household duties too.  As a mother I can see where the wife has an argument, in that the likelihood of waking the entire caravan whilst preparing for/coming back from a run is significantly higher than in the family home, therefore potentially not only ruining any chance of lie ins (not everyone can be quite as magnificently selfless as Wilkie) through the holiday, but also resulting in the wife being left to deal with child/dressing/breakfast/genreal child related early morning grouchiness until he comes back from his run - his solo time that he can grab any time he wants - feeling all fresh and relaxed.  Add to that the fact that holidays are supposed to be family time - time together as a family.  Has there been an offer forthcoming from the OP to let his wife stay in bed a bit longer while he takes the child out for the morning, swimming for instance?  Or maybe breakfast so that mum doesn't have to do it and can have a bit of time to herself?

That aside, I agree that a running forum is a very biased place to ask such a question.  Its also a plce where you will get a predominently one sided answer.  Why not pop over to a mum's forum somewhere and get the other side of the argument?  Or....and here's a novel idea.....talk directly to your wife in a mature way to try to find out exactly what the issue is. 

26/07/2012 at 14:16

I dont think you are being unreasonable unless you're planning on being out 3 hours every day.

She should want you to go running and you should want to make sure she has time to do what she wants to do, alone or together. Simples.

26/07/2012 at 14:24

"Magnicently selfless"

Must let my OH know that. 

I don't think it's anything like magnificently selfless, it's just give and take. 

03/08/2012 at 22:21
Holiday is no reason to not run,got up early when we went away last year,but was a but wobbly from the drinking the night before..still went out
04/08/2012 at 01:01

What would she rather you being doing while she is sleeping?

What does she think of you running when shes awake and not on holiday?

Edited: 04/08/2012 at 01:07

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 26 of 26 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.