Your Top 5 Running Memories / Moments

1 to 20 of 31 messages
Dubai Dave    pirate
04/06/2009 at 09:26

What are your top five memories / moments from running?

1 Finishing Comrades in under 9 hours
2 Finishing my first marathon
3 The first marathon I ran in under 3 hours 30 minutes
4 Sitting in the middle of dartmoor watching the sun come up having run 10 miles in the dark to get there.
5. Running down a mountain trail in Spain with Sea 20 miles away sparkling in the distance and the smell of pine trees all around

04/06/2009 at 10:17
  1. Organising my first race (if no one died its a success )
  2. Captaining the winning team in the Wessex Ridgeway Relay 
  3. Finishing the Stickler the first time Ive run 10 miles(what a way to start)
  4. Beating all my club mates at the Sturmey Half (2 on the line sorry fellas)
  5. Going down to the track for the very first time and having to go off sick from work that night coz I was so knackered hahaha
04/06/2009 at 11:31

1. Winning my first race - running through the tape was a fantastic feeling

2. Leading my club home to become NI ladies half marathon champions

3. Finishing my first half marathon - it felt like such an achievement

4. The feeling after racing up and down Slieve Donard - N. Ireland's highest mountain - when a tourist came up and asked me "did you really run up THAT?!"

5. Any of those lovely runs across mountains/beaches with the sun shining and a light breeze keeping me cool....

04/06/2009 at 12:23

1. Running my first ever half marathon in Amsterdam coming into the stadium on the track finish and for the first time ever feeling like a 'real' athelete when running past all the national flags.

2. My first ever high from a race; the first time a 10k made me feel like I could conquer the world (in a wonder woman-stylee) - you know that feeling when you're a bit delerious and can't believe just how amazing your body is for getting you to the end

3. When I actually realised I was other people were pacing themselves against ME!! - loved that a lot!

4. That nervous excitement I get pre-race, when I've probably overdosed on caffiene and sugar a bit too much and your MP3 is belting out your favourite tunes and you just can't stand still!!!

5. The beautiful scenery I have seen on my runs, even when it's in a city centre (great way to do a tour without an annoying guide or people slowing you down), but especially when you get that amazing afternoon sunshine over a gorgeous counrtyside view!

ahhh... I fancy a run now!!!

04/06/2009 at 17:37
1) my first ever "run" at the age of 37, around a couple of units of a business park after work, lasting a grand total of 6 minutes, and taking 4 days for the muscle soreness to abate.

2) the first time I ever ran 10k in training.

3) overtaking several horses (horses I tellsya!) on a downhill section in the Man v Horse race.

4) coming down my first ever really BIG descent in a fell race, half way down realising that my legs were too knackered to provide any braking force, and that I was unsure whether I would make it down to level ground before they gave out completely and I fell over and really injured myself - I started to laugh out loud at this point.

5) sitting alone in my car in a layby near Pym Chair after Shining Tor fell race on a July evening, watching the sun set over the Cheshire plain with "Shadow Of The Day" by Linkin Park playing on the car stereo.
04/06/2009 at 18:46

1) My first outdoor run post knee surgery - half way round a thunderstorm started. NO knee pain - a very happy moment - one I recall now when runs are tough.

2) Running 10k for me too.

3) The first time I went sub 10 min mile.

4) The first time I 'got' Pose technique during a run.

5)  Running in the countryside seeing no-one but animals.

04/06/2009 at 19:01

Great question!

1) 17yrs old - Boxing Day, running on the beach in Liverpool when halfway through it started snowing heavily - sounds awful but it felt great!

2) finally breaking 2 mins for 800m (even though I was second to last)

3) going for a 4 mile run at 1.30am the day after my son was born - I had just got home from the hospital and was way too excited too sleep.....

4) the first time running along the "boardwalk" on the New Jersey side of the Hudson river looking at the Manhattan skyline, and then reaching the end and seeing the Statue of Liberty.

5) counting rabbits, horses and deer on runs through the countryside

05/06/2009 at 10:16
What's this 'pose technique' Siance?!?!
Edited: 05/06/2009 at 10:17
Double 0    pirate
05/06/2009 at 10:23

1) Eating cheese sandwiches and drinking Robinsons in my friend car's after running 10 miles, around a beautiful lake.

2) Finishing my first triathlon and thinking I'll go faster next time!

3) After running 13 miles popping in to the pub and having chip barms and a cheeky half in our running kit.

4)When you come home after a hard training run/cycle and your covered in mud.

5)Running my first half marathon and dragging the lady behide to finish. She was fading at the 12 mile mark and she was finshing even if I had to drag her! 

05/06/2009 at 11:23
mmmm... double 0 - those chip barms were THE BEST! Even when my heel was bleeding from the amount of running we did!
05/06/2009 at 11:28

1) Getting a PB at Stratford this year and feeling strong the whole way round

2) Arriving at Wedgnock Mud & Mayhem 10k last December with normal running shoes on but still completing the course with only scrapes and bruises

3) Having some old man that looked like Santa run past me and state that my stride was too wide

4) Leaving an iPod innocently in a bush only to find out some bugger had nicked it on my return

5) Attempting to run in the snow/sludge/ice when we had all that snow/sludge/ice and in hindsight, thinking how the hell did I not get a stress fracture then instead of now.

05/06/2009 at 11:52
Run Sazzle Run wrote (see)
What's this 'pose technique' Siance?!?!
Pose
Double 0    pirate
05/06/2009 at 13:09
Oh I had forgot you were bleeding, it was quite gross! Didn't he make the chip fresh for us so they were all hot and lovely!
05/06/2009 at 13:50
mmmm and salty! and it was sunny - what a lovely day
05/06/2009 at 14:25
Devoted2Distance wrote (see)

3) Having some old man that looked like Santa run past me and state that my stride was too wide

LOVE this!! heh heh
05/06/2009 at 15:07

He did!

Blatantly only did it to overtake me and slow me down.

I saw him on the way back from work the other night. He was running, I was driving. Seeing as I haven't ran for 5 weeks, it took an almighty effort not to run him over.

05/06/2009 at 19:51
1. Running a PB at the loch ness marathon and then marrying my wonderful husband at Inverness registry office the following morning. Some friends had run the marathon and 10k and they knew nothing about the wedding, got married in our tee shirts complete with medals !! cheesey but great.

2.Running my first race the Llandudno 10. When I first started running 3 months before the race I couldn't even run a mile without stopping.

3. Doing the Sunderland bupa 10k with my two sisters.

4. Doing the snowdon marathon, couldn't stop grinning all the way round...loved it.

5. Every time me and my dog are out running in the beautiful Derbyshire peak district on a sunny day... (so not very often !)

20/07/2009 at 17:25

I haven't got a Top 5 as yet as i've only started running this year, so only 1 for now

1. Completing my first 5km run yesterday for Race for Life in 26 mins - which i think is a respectable time?

20/07/2009 at 17:40

1) Winning an olympic gold and everyone toasting my success.

2) Coming back from injury after blowing a fuse.

3) Not burning out - ever.

4) Recovering from "Hitting the Wall" after being flung hard against it.

5) Out running a professional 4 slot who burnt out within a few miles from the start.

21/07/2009 at 08:49
1. Finishing my first 10k race and realising I had gone under the hour against all my expectations.

2. First 10k run in training when I felt like a "proper" runner for the first time.

3. Amazing run first thing on a bright spring morning on country lanes on holiday in Tideswell Derbyshire - just me and the cows.

4. Running by the sea in Mallorca and watching the sun come up.

5. Running by the sea from my Gran's in Bangor N.Ireland and coming back to a huge Ulster fry.
1 to 20 of 31 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.