1 stone off by Christmas!

Hoping to use running to help weight loss.

21 to 40 of 211 messages
11/10/2012 at 15:30

I made the executive decision to go for a run at lunch time, so as bad as 5 miles in the lashing rain was, it wasn't as bad as if it had been dark as well! MIght consider running at lunchtime more. Nice feeling to know my run is done for the day!

@carterusm - i'll be interested in how you get on with the head torch, i keep considering it. But so far have just kept to lit pavements. I moved in July and i now live in a much smaller town, so i'm dreading the longer miles in the dark. Going to have to start doing loops,  as there simply isn't enough pavement, let alone lit pavements!

12/10/2012 at 08:34

Morning all, I hope we are all well on this dull, grey morning.

@Rats - I havent use the head torch yet. I only really need to use it if I go off road in the dark and I will be doing that over the forthcoming weeks so will keep you posted. I quite like going down a darkish quiet road, it can be quite airy yet peaceful and prividing you have your high viz stuff on you should be fine. The head torch I've got is an Alpkit Gamma (http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16345&category_id=250). Other peole have said that they found this on Amazon etc for £10 but off the Alpkit website it costs £15, it comes highly recommended. Well done for yesterdays run in the rain; it can be hard to motivate yourself to get out when it the weather is rubbish. But, now you have got out in some poor weather you have you cant use the weather as an excuse not to go out in the future !!

I went out for an easy yet hill run last night. It totalled 9.7 miles and takes in 3 really rather steep hills. My fitness must be improving as when I ran this route previously I was really blowing going up the second hill. Last night, however, I got to the top of the third hill breathing heavily but it felt a lot better and I could carry on with the rest of my run in relative comfort. I am aching  a bit this morning though but today is a rest day. I feel that I should have lost a bit more weight (the trousers feel a bit looser) but I will wait until Monday for my next weigh in.

Have a good day everyone

12/10/2012 at 22:26

hey all,

just checking in to see how you all are.

Decided to go for a run today after all as it is always tricky to get out at the weekend so at least that is done now and can't be undone!

Eating is always tricky at the weekends too, so I am trying to plan ahead to avoid any surprises - I find that if I have planned all my meals well in advance I am less likely to undo all my hard work with a binge.

Trying very hard to resist the scales, always feel the need to weigh myself when I have been good for a few days, so silly, if I were to see a loss I would celebrate with a binge, and if I don't see a loss I would console myself with a binge. Maybe I shouldn't have scales in the house at all and just use my clothes as a guide...but I find it helps to see actual numbers....

Anyway. hope you are all good, have a good weekend everyone!

15/10/2012 at 09:19

So today is weigh day, how did people do week 1? I had a rather impressive 4lb weight loss. But i'm not sure if that was due to the hard work, or weighing myself at a different time of day. From now on, weighing myself first thing in the morning, so i'll see how i get on next week.

Training wise, did a full gym session including 4km run on friday, but nothing all weekend, which was kind of planned. Back to the gym tonight for sprints on the treadmill.

Fingers Crossed you all did as well in the weightloss.

15/10/2012 at 10:54

Woo woo 4 lb off, that is brilliant! Well done you - you will have the stone off well before Christmas at this rate!

I have 2 lb off myself, and feel it could have been more except that my weekend was a little bit naughty. It always is though, I think if I want to get the weight off I am going to have to change the way we do things at the weekends. Not that I want to be losing more than 2lb a week, I am really happy with that loss, but I can't be good 5 days and then undo it all in 2!

I have just put in a really good run, 5 miles on some serious hills, and felt great all the way round. Will stick to this for another week and then try adding a little at a time, nice and easy so I don't wreck my knees again!

I used to feel the fat on my face jiggle with every step I took, which was really annoying, and I just realised this morning that that has gone now, yippeee!

15/10/2012 at 11:05

Well done to both of you !

Like you Springle, my weekend could have been better and I also need to change certain things. It seems a waste to be good all week and do all that exercise and then pig out at the weekend. Moderation needs to be the key for me at th weekend.

I had 2 good runs at the weekend. Saturday morning saw me do my long run that took in a mountain ! There was some walking involved getting up that beast but when I did get up I found I could carry on running at a nice steady pace. Sunday evening saw me do a fairly long steady run and I felt very comfortbale indeed and that I could have carried on. The stamina seems to be improving so happy days.

Keep up the good work everyone ! 

15/10/2012 at 11:22

Well done Springle and good running Carterusm. I really should make the most of running in day light at the weekend, but i put other things ahead of training at weekend.

So a week 2 resolution, better behaviour at weekends!

17/10/2012 at 07:53

Morning campers, I hope we are all well.

It's been a difficult couple of days as my little pooch, Harvey, has not been well. He was rushed in to the vets over the weekend as he has punctured his bowel and stomach in several places and had to undego some serious surgery. The little man is still in the vets recovering So, it's been worrying and busy times which has meant the healthy option has taken a back seat. Saying that, I did go out last night for 10 miles of which 4 miles was off road. An I got to use my new head torch for the first time ! After running through the woods in pitch black thinking a mad axeman was following me I found the head torch was really good. I wore it over my beanie and it felt comfortable and stable. It gives off a really good beam for about 20 yards and lights up an additional 20 yards or so to give you an idea of whats coming next. So overall I would highly recommend getting one.

I hope everyone is keeping up the good work they have done so far......

seren nos    pirate
17/10/2012 at 08:28

carterusm.........running through natural woods in the dark is ok...but running through the artificial pine forests gives me the creeps..i won't do tha ton my own at night...........mind i'm not fussed on them in the light either

weel  donespringle and rats.keep it up

17/10/2012 at 12:32

Thanks Seren nos!

Carterusm - I am sorry to hear about your dog, it sounds like a very upsetting time so I hope things get better for you soon.

Well done on the run, I don't know if I could run through a forest alone - even in the daylight I often creep myself out imagining something following me, which is very silly, but I bet it makes me run faster!

Hope today is a good day for everyone - we can do this!

17/10/2012 at 17:53

Hi all, just to say i'm going to go silent for a few days whilst i head away for a few days, to catch up with an old school friend. Back in radio contact on Monday. So keep up the good work and i'll report back in on Monday.

17/10/2012 at 23:39
Thanks springle. Went to see the little man tonight and he seems a lot better I haven't seen him since Sunday and his tail was wagging Shen he saw me. He has started eating so I feel better about the situation now. I think I will go for a run in the woods again tomorrow night !
Seren - just go for it, like springle says, it might make you run faster !
Rats - enjoy your few days off. Are you going anywhere nice and more importantly are you taking your running gear ?
18/10/2012 at 00:38

Hi,

I was wondering if I could join you in this challenge? I was hoping to lose 10kg by Christmas - 1kg a week, but would be happy with significant progress towards this. I probably have 15-20kg to lose in total.

I've been injured for 2 months, so only just starting to run again, and the weight has crept up whilst I've been sitting still feeling sorry for myself.

I have signed up for a 10 mile in Dec and a half marathon in Feb, and am up to running 10k again now (slowly) so feel like I'm getting back on track. But a bit of support would really help.

thanks

Jane

18/10/2012 at 16:46

Hi guys,

Just read your thread and it's given me the motivation to kick start my weight loss again.  I was doing really well until I got injured.  I tore my calf muscle and then got achilles tendonitis.  Put me out of action for 4 months but I'm just slowly getting into running again.  3 slow runs down and I'm remembering why I love running so much.  I'm hoping that with the return of my regular runs I'll have a more positive approach to my eating.  It's funny that I feel much more conscious of what I'm eating when I'm running than when I'm injured.  You'd think I'd keep the diet in check even more when I'm injured.  I think the healthy feeling of running makes me want to fuel my body with healthy things rather than junk. 

Anyway, hope I can pop in and out of this discussion for some online moral support.  I'd love to lose 7 pounds by Christmas.

Planning a slow 4 miles this evening......

18/10/2012 at 20:37

Welcome Jane and Jules. 

Springle - the little man is back home today. You would hardly know he has had major surgery. It wouldnt appear that he has learnt his lesson either as he is already scavaging around the house ! He has however provided me with a hefty vets bill of £1600  Thank goodness for insurance.

Well, I have just got back from doing a 13.5 miler. I felt good so just kept going. I took my head torch so went offroading for about 5 miles. It was a bit easy tonight as I didnt feel like I was being followed ! One more run for me on Saturday and then I am off to New York for a few days but am not taking my trotters. The clothes are a bit baggier today so it feels like things are going in the right direction.

Rats - enjoy your weekend away and have a few drinks for me

Keep it going everyone, it's all been good so far

18/10/2012 at 22:23

Thanks for the welcome.

Jules, everything you are saying sounds so familiar. I'm hoping being able to run again makes me want to be more healthy in general too.

Have fun in NY carterusm.

19/10/2012 at 15:58

Hi Jane and Jules! I am delighted to see more people joining us on our challenge, it is always so motivating to hear others doing well and getting closer to our goal together. Best of luck with it, keep letting us know how you are doing!

Carterusm, I am really pleased to hear your wee man is back on his little feet and making a good recovery, that is really great news. Not so great about the huge bill, but sure they are worth it!

I may have overdone things again, which is very annoying. I am trying to hover around the 5 mile mark for a while, even though I feel I could go further, because I want to avoid the creaky knees I managed to pick up when I was making my running "comeback." Maybe I picked up the pace instead, always trying to push too hard, and now my knees are unbendable again. Grrrr. Will take a few days rest and then start again with a shorter run on Monday.

I am determined to have a better weekend this time around, weigh in on Monday so fingers crossed we can all do it!

Rats - I hope you enjoy your weekend away!

19/10/2012 at 16:08

Good luck Springle. I had a similar on and off injury to my calves for a couple of months. In the end I took 6 weeks off fully and let them heal. Very frustrating, but I think it was worth it.

I'm building back gradually - managed 9k last weekend and 7 x 1km intervals on Monday. But today's easy 6k felt strangely tough.

My physio advised comeback runs to be just 20 minutes for the first few weeks, adding 10 mins a week, and not to do anything fast until they were fully better. I haven't completely followed this, but taking it slowly does seem to help.

19/10/2012 at 18:43
Evening folks. Have read through all your comments and now wish to jump aboard! I've been losing the odd few lbs over the last few months with no real structure or motivation, despite me really needing to she's a stone to really start seeing my effort in ultras seem worthwhile. I hope that reporting back will enlighten me to achieve this finally! I may well need a hit with a big stock.now and then too if I start to wander!
For the record, age 33 and 13st bang on.
Here goes!
20/10/2012 at 11:15

Hello All

Coming to this quite late but I'd like to join in the weight loss fun.

I used to be a reasonable runner, but had a few lazy years and subsequently put on a bit of podge,  Last year I made a comeback for a last go at the Ironman thing and got into really good shape, but post the Outlaw I've let myself go.

According to my scales I'm 13st 1lb - 18% body fat, but that is not a true weight as I've just spent the last couple of days in bed recovering from a touch of food poisoning, so I'm dehydrated and empty.

Anyway I think this non-voluntary detox is a good starting point to get things back on track.

I haven't got a real plan at the moment. First I must rehydrate and refuel and then I can start again.

Edited: 20/10/2012 at 11:16
21 to 40 of 211 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.