1 stone off by Christmas!

Hoping to use running to help weight loss.

141 to 160 of 211 messages
21/11/2012 at 13:10

Afternoon All,

@cybarev - did you enjoy Kenya? 4lb is not the end of the world, did you go on safari?

@carterusm - Good luck at the half marathon, looking forward to hear how it goes.

I went for a short outside run last night, 2 miles and the puppy came with me. Was awesome running with the dog, a dream of mine come true. She loved it and only tried to trip me up once!

Do you all keep food diaries? I've just started as apparently it's meant to make you more aware of what you eat, thought it worth a try.

21/11/2012 at 13:40

Thank you both, Jane & Mr F. It's been difficult lately but I feel I'm slowly getting back to my old self. Ran a HM on Sunday and getting a PB cheered me up no end. Back into a bit of a routine now too, both training & running wise, so hopefully things will start to improve all round shortly. Losing a stone before Xmas seems to be slipping away from me, but if I can lose any, I'll be happy.

Mr F, I'm so sorry to hear you had a tough time lately too. I can relate to it to some extent as I was suffering from panic attacks & anxiety due to a prolonged illness leaving me mostly housebound. I very much hope that your stay in Oxfordshire will help you greatly.

Everybody else, well done guys on your progress. x

21/11/2012 at 14:04

I have a stone at most to lose, probably more like half a stone.  I'm doing the 100 pushups plan and the 25 pullup/chinups plan and I'm doing plenty of cardio - either out there running, or if carrying an injury, on the exercise bike.  I've made drastic changes to my diet - going from a choccy bar every day to two a week maximum, I've cut right back on things like pizza as well - but the most I lose a month is a pound or two at the most!  I mean, I know when you've only got a little to lose especially the layer hitching a ride on my six pack is the hardest of all, but this is ridiculous...

22/11/2012 at 10:35

I didn't eat any chocolate, pizza, chips, nothing you could consider unhealthy for 3 months, I was losing 1-2lb a week. Last week I let myself eat anything I wanted as it was the last week before my marathon, so carbo loading. I gave up recording after the fisrt day, but tuesday I ate:

00.00 8 x snickers (Aldi equivalent) x 200kcal = 1600

09.00 maryland cookies 230g x 481 kcals per 100g = 1106kcals

09.30 4 pork pies x 409 kcals =  1636

10.30 200g peanut nougat 1200 kcals

13.00 5 chocolate chip cakes 125 kcals each = 625

15.00 chocolate digestives 300g x 495 kcals per 100g = 1485

7652 kcals, I stopped eating after the chocolate biscuits as I didn't feel well...

Anyway, long story short, after 3 days of this I weighed on the friday (as usual) and i'd put on 5lbs!

Moral of the story, cut out the crap, the actual volume of food I ate for those initial 7652kcals was quite small.

22/11/2012 at 13:27

Lardarse, I have found it's all one continuous learning curve.  I, for one, eat when I'm feeling down or upset as I just don't care whether or not I'm eating unhealthily or putting on weight, I also usually give myself a free ride after a long race which usually last well past topping up my glycogen stores...
I think we just have to learn to dust ourselves off, get back up & start afresh when we need to, without beating ourselves up too much and just see it as an opportunity to do better (again...)
Anyway, I hope you had a good race & I'm sure you burnt most of it off again.

Roadrunner, all I can say is what works for me (well, usually anyway, when I put my mind to it & dont sabotage myself...) is to keep a food diary. I can highly recommend 'My Fitness Pal' (there's even an app for it). It let's you work out how many calories you should be putting in daily in order to lose x amount of weight per week (which you can decide too), you then put in everything you eat and all the exercise you do daily & it works out how many calories you have left per day and how much you should weigh if you did this every day.  If anything, it's opened my eyes to how calorific some foods really are, quite shocking actually and it's stopped me from 'mindless eating', i.e. just putting a piece of chocolate in my mouth & then conveniently forgetting about it when thinking about my daily food intake! Blah blah... sorry, rambling!

Hope you all have a good day

22/11/2012 at 14:37

Maybe I'll look into a food diary - I've never done that before.

22/11/2012 at 16:55

okapi: It wasn't a problem, I did it on purpose, i'd been holding back for 12+ weeks, sticking to ~2000kcals a day, i'd been say dreaming about spending the week eating rubbish, on the thursday I got a tiger loaf, cut it in half (the flat way) so i had two slices, then I cut up 350g of extra mature cheddar (I hadn't eaten cheese for months)into slabs and put the whole lot into one sandwhich. After three days of doing this sort of thing I was sick of rich/sweet food and couldn't wait to get back to eating normal again! So it was aversion therepy. I had a great race, second best ever time. I'll weigh tomorrow, but i'm not bothered what they say as i'm back on the diet now, well except the whole jar of peanut butter I ate yesterday, I had to get rid of it.

25/11/2012 at 09:17

For the record, I lost 1lb last week of the 5lb I gained the week before, so back on track.

seren nos yn canu    pirate
25/11/2012 at 09:47

road runner...........a food diary is a major factor in weight lose.............its amazing how much you eat somedays...........when i write it down it does make me hink twice about eating more because i think.wow have I eaten all that already.......

just over 4 weeks to go to christmas.......

26/11/2012 at 10:07

I total the kcals each day as i'm eating on my phone calculator, it's always there, so I know exactly what I can't eat.

26/11/2012 at 12:37

Weigh in today, not hopeful!

26/11/2012 at 13:24

Good News! 2lb off, down to 14st 7lb. Yippee!

28/11/2012 at 09:53

Well done Grant, i too had a 2lb loss this week. Weighed myself on Sunday and was 13 stone 8, so back on track for the stone before chrimbo.

4 weeks today is boxing day, so 4 weighing days and 3lb to go... Fingers crossed the christmas party season doesn't get in the way of those last 3lb.

Keep focussed people - any loss is a good thing!!!

28/11/2012 at 10:09

Nice One Rats, Cant believe that Christmas is only 4 weeks away. I agree its a tricky time to lose weight. Will just have to keep on track with the running and perhaps not gain!

Good Luck to everyone.

30/11/2012 at 08:06

Two weeks afer pigging out for the marathon i'm back down to pre pigging weight, lost 4 lbs this ?! (i've no idea how?) to bring me back down to 24 BMI, chuffed

30/11/2012 at 09:39

How ever you did it Lard, keep doing it Nice BMI too.

30/11/2012 at 10:05

Bloody well done Lardarse (and everybody else!) - I reckon you should be giving me tips lol.
I'm absolutely hopeless.... I constantly forget to weigh myself in the mornings and I don't want to do it in the eves (yes, silly I know...!)
But I do know that I had put the 2lbs  lost back on in those couple of weeks I was struggling emotionally and I haven't stepped back onto those darn scales since then.
Tomorrow. Definitely. Maybe.

02/12/2012 at 11:13

Thanks, i'm completely strict with stopping at 2000 - 2200 kcals every day regardless of how far I run, what I do. I think my weight loss this week was maybe due to being very close to goal weight and tipping the ballance too far into negative calories, in other words now i'm almost at goal I probably need to eat a little bit more to balance my weight, I've no intention of becoming anorexic, 11lbs to go to reach 22.5 BMI - target.

02/12/2012 at 11:18

I weigh myself friday morning, thats it. If i've lost weight however much, I carry on eating ~2000 kcals a day, if I've gained weight however much, I carry on eating ~2000 kcals a day... ad infinitum... works for me.

03/12/2012 at 11:05

Morning All,

Sunday was weigh-in for me and i hit the magic number of 13 stone 5 lb. Which is a whole stone  gone since starting this thread. So i am well chuffed. But with 3 more weigh days until Christmas, the question is can i keep it off or even better shed a few more pounds.

For me to hit BMI 25 i need to be 12 stone 10. Which is too much to lose by Christmas, but is the next target i'm working to.

Hope you all do well this week.

-x-

141 to 160 of 211 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.