3 marathons in 3 weeks.....recovery tips?

Recovery

7 messages
17/12/2012 at 10:37

Hi there, I will be running Paris, Brighton and London in consecutive weeks during April 2013. I have run marathons before but not this close together. Other than ice baths, massages etc, does anyone have any good tips for rapid post-marathon recovery to help preparation for the next week? Many thanks

17/12/2012 at 10:51

Don't run them flat out and they'll be no different to doing 3 long runs. It'll be more about how prepared you are before the first one.

17/12/2012 at 10:54

+1 with lardarse

just don't do much between each one to let the muscles recover

19/12/2012 at 09:52

Get some good food including protein and carbs in the first hour after each.

21/12/2012 at 14:06

Hiya Gary , I ran 3 marathons in 3 consecutive Sundays this year, Amsterdam, Frankfurt and Rutland Water, and also 2 marathons in 1 week.

I found the most important part of the recovery plan was to have post race massage immediately after crossing the finishing line, it made a huge difference. Then all the other recovery these: massage, physio, foam roller, cold bath, compression tights, yoga, pilates or Tai Chi.

I didn't run in between marathons, except for warmup run before the race.

21/12/2012 at 15:09

Good luck. I did 2 in a row, but ran them both hard.During  the week inbetween I focused on eating well,drinking well,  and also some light stretching.

A few days after the first I did some very  light cross training (indoor rowing). I didn't run until the saturday, and did a whole 2.6 miles (10% of full distance - how hard can 100% be!). In The second marathon I felt reasonably good, and ran better than the first. During the week after the second I felt fine, and was disappointed not to be running that weekend!

24/12/2012 at 09:03

I'm doing same in March, I've done 2 in a row twice before and on both occasions the second was faster and felt better than the first. I won't be planning on any recovery runs in between just stretching and walking, and certainly won't be aiming for any of them to be a PB.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
7 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.