A Thread for Runners with Asthma

13 messages
kittenkat    pirate
05/07/2012 at 07:27

I thought I'd start one as there must be a few of us out there.

Anyone else get bad hayfever? My asthma seems worse at the mo and I'm wondering if it's just a combination of the two that makes it seem worse?

05/07/2012 at 20:14

I have asthma and quite bad hayfever. At the moment the both are the worse I can remember. My nose is constantly running and I have moments of being very weezy throughout the day. Normally the running keeps the asthma under control but not at the moment. Though I hear its a very bad year for hayfever sufferers.

05/07/2012 at 20:33

I normally get asthma for 6 weeks, starting just before 'summer', but it started ages ago and shows no sign of letting up.  I had been using a brown inhaler, but it just gave me the shakes and made me feel stressed.  Not using anything at the moment- the missus keeps telling me to go to the doctors to get something else, but I keep hoping it will pass.  It does usually...

I had been increasing my running speed until the asthma kicked in.  Now I'm as slow as ever :,(

06/07/2012 at 12:12
I get bad hay-fever. My asthma seems to be pretty much under control.

Lots of Loratadine, clearing my airways any way that's possible during races and concentrating on my breathing seem to help.

More interestingly, Sharon Gayter has quite bad asthma which does affect her running at times.
06/07/2012 at 16:37

Had asthma most of my life. Control it well, but its always there. Put some thoughts on the subject here: http://tentsmuir.wordpress.com/2012/06/10/running-with-asthma-diabetes/

Love to know how others get on. Feel it worse in the autumn/winter for sure, but you have to just deal with the setbacks and keep going. Did a 100km even last week. The asthma barely bothered me, but in truth the impact in the winter months took its toll. A big race is not about the day but about all the training on the way to that day.

kittenkat    pirate
06/07/2012 at 16:39

Well I've got a race tonight so I'll let you know how I get on, have blue inhaler and have taken antihistamine!

06/07/2012 at 16:50

Have you not got a preventer inhaler as well KK?

08/07/2012 at 18:41

I have had Asthma for a few years now. Can't remember their names but, I have a Purple preventer (take it morning and just before bed) and a Blue take when you need it.

As some may know I'm new to all this weird exercise stuff and will always carry the blue one whilst out and about. But someone I know suggested to take a toot on it before I set out to open "The Pipes".

Is this a good idea?

Regards

Andy

08/07/2012 at 20:13

I've had asthma and hayfever since I was born and pretty much have them both under control.... throughout the spring til autumn I find I'm operating on half-a-lungful when I go running.  My hayfever is chronic if I do not take medication and I always use a preventer and ventolin for my asthma, no matter what the season.

I'm much happier running when the temp is cool and find running in the heat unbearable (but I LOVE hot weather).  As soon as I run in the summer I do feel as though I am 'lacking a lung'.   My favourite conditions are warm, wet weather.... strange eh??????

09/07/2012 at 11:43

Dear Runners

I am a PhD student focussing on Exercise Induced Asthma in athletes. I am looking for volunteers with Exercise Induced Asthma or Suspected Exercise Induced Asthma to take part in a study.

The study includes an initial screening visit with a full check-up of your lung function. Depending on your response to the initial tests, you will be invited to come back for two additional visits.  These will take place at Brunel University (West London)

We are looking for recreational or professional athletes, aged 18 to 50, who get wheezy or short of breath during or shortly after exercise, and who train at least 4 hours per week.

No prior medical diagnosis of asthma is required to volunteer for the study.

The tests will tell us if you present ongoing airway inflammation that deserves medical attention. You will be provided with a report of your tests results at the end of the study.

If you would like the full participant information details please e-mail me at Andrew.Simpson@brunel.ac.uk

Best wishes
Andy

09/07/2012 at 12:35

The most important thing for asthmatic runners is one of these:

www.puffapouch.com

I find hayfever makes asthma much worse. Last year I got some advice which has really helped. I take my ceritine hayfever pill every morning when I wake up. I take it every day even if the pollen count is low. Your body builds up its reserves. If you only take it when needed it doesn't work so well.

kittenkat    pirate
09/07/2012 at 13:35
Spoons. wrote (see)

The most important thing for asthmatic runners is one of these:

www.puffapouch.com

I find hayfever makes asthma much worse. Last year I got some advice which has really helped. I take my ceritine hayfever pill every morning when I wake up. I take it every day even if the pollen count is low. Your body builds up its reserves. If you only take it when needed it doesn't work so well.

I've got one of the new inhalers...

09/07/2012 at 21:07
Doh!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
13 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.