Aaaarghhh, calf strain eight days before a marathon...

4 messages
11/05/2013 at 08:43

Hi All - I've just come in from a run that I cut short after 20 minutes due to a twinging left calf that was definitely getting more painful the further I went. The bad news is that I'm running an marathon a week tomorrow and I want to avoid if possible any calf related problems on race day.I've often had calf pain when starting out on a training regime for a full or half marathon but I've not had this problem at this late stage in the training before.

Any suggestions as to how I should minimise the risk of calf problems during the race? Should I back of running completely next week? Any miracle cures or kit (eg compression socks) anyone can suggest? Would it be worth seeing a physio?

Any suggestions are very welcome? I've invested a lot of time and effort training for this event and I'd like to avoid limping around the course in six hours if possible...

Cheers, Paul

11/05/2013 at 09:28
Hi Paul. Sorry to hear about your calf. I managed to strain mine on a Wednesday before my first marathon. It was quite bad and walking was a challenge on that day let alone running. I did lots of stretches pretty much all the time as it was worse when I kepp the calf still. I also put ice on it and put voltarol cream on it. I also went for walks from Thursday as it also helped easing the pain. I didn't run al all till Sunday and was able to complete the marathon. I did have a bit of pain in my calf but it didn't get worse during the race. I think someone with more experience will come along but the above helped me to get to the start and finish line.

Good luck!
11/05/2013 at 09:41

Team work Sam, that is what you need.

Hello Jindalee. I hope you have recovered well from the neolithic marathon . 

11/05/2013 at 09:53
Hi waccy. Yup recovered fine. Wanted to take a week off running to get me calf sorted 100% but from wed on I really wanted to get out again and this morning I went for a little run. Already entered another marathon ...

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.