Abdominal muscle

3 messages
19/10/2009 at 18:03
I did a stupid thing at the start of the Summer and trained hard through a heavy cold. Since then I have had a persistent niggle under my left ribcage. I've been thoroughly checked out by doc (chest xray, blood tests etc) and all vital signs are normal. The conclusion is an abdominal muscle problem possibly due to heavy coughing, It doesn't seem to be getting any worse but any improvement is extremely slow.  Physio and osteopath can't find anything other than very tight back muscles which could be a cause or contributory factor. I've been working on posture, stretching, pilates etc and running a couple of miles most days (previously 60 per week avge). I need a plan but not sure what it should be - osteopath thinks it's a good idea to keep running but I wonder if rest may be the better option. Anybody had anything similar or got any bright ideas as it's driving me mad (and costing me a fortune)! 
19/10/2009 at 19:04

Just1 - has osteo / physio looked at possible arcuate ligament strain? It attaches to the thoracic spine & diaphragm and can be the source of pain following upper respiratory infections. Or an inflamed nerve pathway from the thoracic spine.

Tight back muscles is a huge factor. Get them to release fascia front and back if they can and work on your diaphragm.

20/10/2009 at 12:03
Siance - thanks for your comments, that's really helpful

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.