Abdominal pains

5 messages
25/02/2004 at 14:20
Have been running for a couple of years now with low back pain, suggested diagnosis by my physio as general wear and tear. However I am now suffering from abdominal pain on a fairly regular basis.(maybe once a week) It usually comes on (if it is going to) after I have only been running for 10-15 minutes. I get a hot sensation in my stomach/intestines, followed by a very tight feeling inside. Feels like my stomach or guts are tying themselves in knots, this is then followed by nausea and pain. I have to stop running ( have tried to run though and end up in a terrible state, pain , nausea, faintness). Bending double helps to relieve the pain and generally after staggering/walking for 10 minutes or so I can carry on running. My physio reckons this could be a trapped nerve from my back but hasn't been able to suggest any cure.
Has anyone else experienced this? or knows how to stop it happening.
Am beginning to wonder if I will ever be able to run confidently again... if not can someone please shoot me!
Help
Mel
26/02/2004 at 18:02
I experience almost the exact same thing, but it seems loosly related to time in my cycle. I have never had it investigated but friend of mine went to see a Dr who said it was due to mild endometriosis. She had a laparoscopy and some bits burned off (sounds a bit gorey but she was fine in a day or 2) and has had no problems since (although she now has 2 small children so has little time for running!!). It was the much the same as what I have, so maybe a gynaecologist is what you need.
I find if I feel it coming on, rather than run through it I stop until it subsides and then can keep running. Not ideal but it works okay for me.
27/02/2004 at 10:08
Thanks for the message. I suffered again last night and feel bad that the group I was running with had to stop and walk with me for 10 minutes. I've made an appointment with my GP for next week so hopefully I can get this sorted out. Does your pain only come on when running?
I do not have a cycle at all and haven't had a period for years! (mild polycystic orarian syndrome) ...maybe I have a horrible buildup!
29/02/2004 at 17:05
My pain only comes on when running and it sounds quite similar to yours. Good luck with the GP- it is best to get this sorted and maybe you can give me some info once you have been seen as I never seem to get around to getting it seen to!! Goo luck...
08/03/2004 at 12:41
Mine is due to running just above my lactic acid threshold.

It happened yesterday at the Greenwich 10K when I sprinted up hill to the finish..............5 minutes later I felt the "period like cramps start".

The only way to stop these cramps happening (I find)
is to either start off slowly.
Or if you are in a race situation, when warming up, allow 15 - 20 minutes and sprint very fast to elivate the lactic acid.
I have done this to bring on the cramps.....then afterwards I can run with no problems.
I always get it in the first half hour of running UNLESS I start OFF S L O W L Y.

Good luck, hope it helps.

P/s
I saw a gyneacologist and I had no abnormalities at all.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
5 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.