Achiiles pain and calf soft tissue massage?

1 message
11/10/2012 at 17:59

So they say eccentric exercises are the answer to Achilles problems...if it's the non-insertional type (pain on the tendon above the heel bone).  So, I've been doing the exercises twice a day (straight leg and bent knee) for weeks and my achilles have consistently been painful.  I've also seen a physio 3 times over the past six months about my achilles and have had a problem with them all year.

Against expert advise, I did a run-bike-run Saturday (11k, 26k, 5k) and I was expecting to have extremely sore achilles - they were sore during the 11k.  But after the race I had a free and very intense soft tissue massage on my calfs and all this week, having ran twice more, I only feel very slight discomfort.

What's puzzling me, is that the eccentric exercises just seemed to sustain the pain in my achilles. I don't understand how just a single soft tissue massage could resolve my previously crippling (when running) achilles problem. Does that make any sense to anyone?  I really would like to get back to my 38min 10k training plan asap before I lose too much fitness.

Cheers, Paul

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
1 message
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.