Achilles decompression

Any experience of it here?

2 messages
02/05/2013 at 20:40

I am aged 64 and live in the beautiful Shetland Islands,

In my running past (in England), I have completed 32 full marathons, around 150 half marathons, plus many various races of shorter distance and thousands of miles in training runs.

In recent years, since I moved here, my training runs have been less frequent and of far shorter length; largely because I have nobody to go running with in my area.

About 14 months ago, I woke up with an achilles pain that has not cured. the lump on the achilles is as large and as painful as ever. I have had over 20 appointments with the 3 physios here and done all the exercises asked of without success. My GP passed me on to a podiatrist who has given me wedges to wear within both of my shoes but, again, this has made no difference.

I have now seen a visiting orthopaedic guy, at our hospital, who has put me down to have an achilles decompression operation. I have read some of the articles, via google, and am now frightened about it.

At the moment, if I try and jog (with painkillers, elastcated bandage and ibuprofen gel), I can do it ok for up to 3 miles but am in pain afterwards. it is much the same when I go walking up here. I am in pain even getting up for a pee in the night (not an infrequent occurrence at my age!).

I am so VERY desperate to get running normally again but need reassurance from anyone here who might have had this operation.

Thanks for any comments that may come.

06/05/2013 at 22:02

It seems that, due to lack of any response, that nobody here has any experience of this op, then.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
2 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.