Achilles problem advice needed

21 to 25 of 25 messages
06/06/2012 at 21:13

Ive been resting it, tried the ice pack on, got tubular bandages on, used voltarol, and had ibuprofen! I was doing those stretches against the wall today and my foot was fine.

Thinking I might be able to run on it, I decided to run down the hallway, which resulted in feeling another twinge, this time though it was actually coming from midway down my calf! 

I might have a look at getting a roller nd some of that tape!!

It's so frustrating, it's been long enough now, I've learnt my lesson, I just want to get going again!!

07/06/2012 at 23:25

Suddenly felt a lot better today, been having plenty of ibuprofen, stretching, and been wearing my tubular bandages. 1 over my foot/ankle, and 1 over my calf.

Anyway, decided to be brave and go out and see if i could run/jog on it. Jus did a lap around the estate (about 1 mile) and it felt fine Did my stretches and cool down etc. 

I think it will still be a little stiff first thing in the morning, but I'm over the moon that I managed to get out again  

11/06/2012 at 21:35

I could also use some advice on this subject. I started running again about 6 weeks ago after quite a while off. Both of my achilles are stiff and a bit sore first thing in the morning, but soon ease off and then don't bother me unless I have been sitting for a long time, when they again have to ease off after walking a bit. The right ankle is really the worst. There is no pain while running,  no bruising and only a little swelling over  the inner side of the right achilles area. I had my gait analysed at sweatshop a couple of months ago, and I am a fairly neutral runner, with only a little overpronation in my right foot, so the guy said that the Brooks Radius 7's I am using are fine, although if I wanted they could make me an insole for the right foot. At the time I decided against it. I stretch calf and soleus after each run, and do heel lifts and drops when I remember. Am I OK to carry on running, providing I continue to follow the golden 10% rules about increasing mileage / time etc, and carry on stretching? I'm loathe to stop running now to rest having just gotten back into it, but at the same time, I have a 10K planned in September which I don't want to miss out on. Any advice gratefully received  - thanks

12/06/2012 at 22:01

I'm just a beginner, but i'd say that if you feel ok when you run then run! I found the tubular bandages and plenty of ibuprofen helped! 

Try ice and elevation after runs to reduce any swelling

15/06/2012 at 00:32

A little stiffness in the Achilles first thing in the morning is not unusual - give it a few minutes to wrm up and allow the natural lubrication of the tendon to ease the stiffness. Problem is caused by the tendon being in a shortened position overnight. The main issue with the Achilles is when it starts to get painful during a run - my advice is to slow down and stop to prevent the problem getting any worse. Swelling around the Achilles area is probably a bad sign, as it probably indicates some kind of inflammation. I am afraid rest is the best cure for Achilles problems. I speak from bitter experience, as I did not rest when I first had some Achilles problems last year and ended up with a three month layoff.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 25 of 25 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.