Achilles tendon pain

4 messages
12/01/2013 at 23:46

my left achilles tendon is hurting from running fast about three weeks ago. i did 8 miles yesterday and towards the end it was hurting. i did 4 miles today and it hurt a lot. i'm supposed to do 16 miles tomorrow in training for a marathon on 17th march. what can i do? i'm feeling desperate as all of last year i was out with a virus then kidney stones and now this.

14/01/2013 at 13:15

If its hurting, its trying to tell you something! Is there a physio locally you can get quick access to?  I had a knee injury a couple of months before my first marathon in October last year, and had a fab physio who gave me some rehab exercises to do, but also helped me put together a cross training plan that would help me continue to develop my fitness and train whilst I rested the joint.  And I still did better than I was expecting in the marathon.  Better to take time to fix it now. 

In the meantime, might be worth not doing the long run tomorrow and give the tendon a rest.  Maybe cross train?

14/01/2013 at 13:30

Thanks for your wise advice. I think i will try and find a physio pronto. I didn't run, it would have made it worse for sure as i feel it when i wake up.

14/01/2013 at 13:39
Google "eccentric heel drops" or look on you tube. Iv always found a few days of those several times a day coupled with ibuprofen do the trick. (Unless its completely gone and you can't put weight on it)

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.