Achilles tendonitis

Living with it for 15 months and finally overcoming it

41 to 60 of 153 messages
04/02/2012 at 17:04

It wasn't a good place to stop.  About 20 miles in and still another 8 or so to the next check point, so I tried to hobble on, first walking, then shuffling, before finally breaking into a slow and pained run.

"Better not do that again," I thought.  But I did, twice, in the next 20 miles.  After the third time I realised it would be curtains if it happened any more times.  It didn't, happily.

So, lesson here: be careful about foot placement - no stubbing of toes.

I soldiered on to the end of the course, at Tyndrum.  I finished over 2 hours slower than I had ever done this event before, taking over 14 hours, and was nearly at the back.

Achilles was sore, but holding up.

The thing is, it wasn't over yet.

04/02/2012 at 17:20
*pulls up sofa*

Fascinating stuff, TRex. Especially having followed your races on the SNOD threads last year, this really puts what you were going through in context
05/02/2012 at 22:45

Hello, *Frodo*, you've found my thread, then! You'll know my whole life story soon.  That would certainly throw up some surprises.

05/02/2012 at 23:26

Are you all still with me?  A long story, I know, but I should be finished in a couple of days ...

After a breather at the finish of The Highland Fling, after 53 miles, a change of clothes, and taking on board more supplies, I then carried out my long-planned "extension" - going on to the end of the West Highland Way alone and unsupported, and through the night. This was another 43 miles.

Arrived at Fort William after almost 32 hours on the trail. Achilles sore, of course, but that was only one problem amongst many by that point!

I think I told my sports injury therapist about the "extension" only when I came back.

So I can demonstrate that long distances are possible. Clearly running on all that rocky and uneven terain was difficult, but no harm was done.

05/02/2012 at 23:35

The next event to prepare her for was the Housman 100, a walking event in Shropshire organised by the Long Distance Walking Association, who do allow runners.  The total distance was in fact 101.2 miles.

Now this I did struggle with.  I was nursing this injury, it had been a dramatic build up of distance over the Spring, and I was only able to do minimal training for these events, some would say not enough training.  I was not at all fit.

A reasonable event though.  Not sure I would do another one of these LDWA "hundreds" - the needs of walkers and runners are different.

Finally got to the finish line, having not long turned my headtorch on for the beginning of a second night on the trail.  Time was a very disappointing almost 35 hours.

05/02/2012 at 23:49
Jez Trex.. I'd be dead with no Achilles left after doing this.

How was your physio you doing all this advice wise?

Apart from being rich
06/02/2012 at 00:03

I won't bore with the remainder of my 2011 season which consisted of three road marathons, an offroad marathon, and the Ridgeway 85.  I completed all these, but at a far poorer level of performance than I would normally be capable of.

That's the documentary of the year's running, to show what's possible, but more helpful might be the things I've learned from running with AT, and things that I have found are necessary to do:

• accept your performance will be low, mainly through the inabilty to train very hard, if hardly at all.  You're nursing an injury.
  • be VERY careful when going downhill.  This action contracts the tendon and again it is very advisable to go down heel first, taking it easy, with very small steps.  No mad, fellrunning type descents.  That one I did so soon after the injury was folly in the extreme.  In offroad events I found this frustrating, but necessary. I was as slow going downhill as uphill, in many places in long ultras I was only running on the level bits, and walking the rest.
  • make adjustments to your shoe:
  1. have the laces loose to prevent excessive pressure and don't do the "butterfly" lacing method which tightens the shoe around the ankle.  If offroad running this allows all kinds of crap to get in your shoes, so I invested in some good running shoe gaiters to stop this.
  2. Consider heel raise inserts.  Controversial when considering the arguments of the barefoot/minimal shoe brigade.
  3. This takes guts, especially if you have new shoes, but I have done this on my shoes.  Using a sharp knife, cut slits down the back of your shoes, in effect extending the v-notch at the back of the shoe. This enables the ankle to articulate at a steeper angle without digging into the achilles tendon.

This neatly brings me round to causes, which I'll give my thoughts on later.

Then I'll summarise.

Above all take heart if your AT is getting you down.  You can overcome it.

I'll try to help with any feedback or questions.

06/02/2012 at 00:18

F-R-C - my SIT I have to be honest was generally worried throughout, but got used to me about six months in!  As I've said, I only told her about my running events one at a time, and didn't give her my whole running calendar. 

During that Spring build-up (the hundred was at the end of May), I was seeing her once or twice a week and getting excellent treatment for the injury.

I want to be clear that she was not having to do extra work because I was doing additional damage. Apart from a two-week period early on, with every visit there was an improvement to the achilles: less swelling, more strength, and more ability to cope with deeper manipulation. 

I consider that all the running I was doing was contributing to my recovery.  It was a learning curve but I had managed to to get the balance right of doing just about the right amount, and at not too great an intensity.

As to cost, the whole course of treatment cost no more than, say, a weekend away with my wife, or a car bill.  I judged it well worthwhile.

I am now clear of the injury.

06/02/2012 at 23:54

What causes AT?  Perhaps others would like to chip with their thoughts or experiences on this.

The standard causes include:

• sudden changes in activity level
  • running infrequently
  • beginning running for the first time
  • too much time in high heels, then running

My GP's "it comes when it feels like it" is not satisfactory.

To this I'm adding what I feel is my reason:

• Type of running shoes.  Specifically those that seem to have high back or only a shallow v-notch. 

I ran that Snowdonia marathon in road shoes - Brooks Adrenaline GTS (not sure what version) - but towards the end, although not too technical, there is an offroad hilly section during which I feel the back of the shoe dug into the achilles, aggravating it. They were quite new.  I had done a 50-mile road race in them, but nothing offroad.

It is all I can think of. So simple a thing causing 15 months of frustration.

Advice then: choose shoes that do not have such high backs.  In the meantime whilst injured, again try to choose low-backed shoes for all footwear choices.  I spent a lot of my time in sandals.

06/02/2012 at 23:59

I appreciate all that is a lot to wade through, but I hope it was helpful and gave you more hope about your own long-term AT. Patience is the thing most needed.

I'll try to some it all up in another post or two in due course.

In the meantime I'd be interested to hear any feedback.

T Rex

07/02/2012 at 06:36

Thanks for taking the time to write such a thorough post.

Achilles problems seem to be still so little understood by the professionals in whom we have to trust. I think in the past, a lot of elite athletes ended up having surgery (Gebreselassie for example), but I am not sure of the long term success rates of going with that treatment option.

Hope you have a trouble free time ahead.

08/02/2012 at 19:01

Its a fantastic read.  My AT is only mild, nothing compared to yours, but vthen neither is my running calender.  I found stopping running had no effect so I've carried on managing it in my own way. It gets no worse or better.  The advice on heat versus cold is great. I've had good success with mixed approach - heat first, ten ice it then heat again - the hobbling first thing in teh morning is often more bearable after this.

Well done on having the determination to carry on - its very easy with injury to get to the stage where you're not sur eif you can be bothered to run again.  Hope your year continues injury free and thanks for the gripping read!

09/02/2012 at 14:39

TRex,

A great, if painful story, very well told indeed.  It's good to have such input from someone who is very seasoned in running on the most challenging terrain at marathon and ultra-distances.  Certainly puts my experience into perspective! But then again, that's the thing with AT - it can strike people at various stages of their running careers, right?

09/02/2012 at 14:40

TRex,

A great, if painful story, very well told indeed.  It's good to have such input from someone who is very seasoned in running on the most challenging terrain at marathon and ultra-distances.  Certainly puts my experience into perspective! But then again, that's the thing with AT - it can strike people at various stages of their running careers, right?

I hope you don't mind if I repost your thread on my blog?

Cheers,  QFS

09/02/2012 at 23:28

I'd sooner you didn't if that's all right, qfs.  I like to keep my stuff where I know where it is.

I wish you well for your future running plans.  The benefits and enjoyment from running vastly outweigh the temporary set backs such as injuries, even if they last 15 months.

10/02/2012 at 16:34

Glad to see you are on the mend or already mended T-Rex!  What with those tiny arms I bet you could not even reach the edge of the bed!

11/02/2012 at 23:02
a very inspiring and interesting read with some very useful pointers. And I had no idea quite what you'd be going through when we set off on the Fling, a brief chat at the campsite about some 'lingering injury problems'!!  As to how much pain I can inflict, well I'm not SAS or anything but I did train in sports massage seven years ago, and whilst a little rusty apparently I can still be effective!! My random AT is no way as bad as yours but has dipped that way at times and generally I have always managed to run/jog through it. Currently got a niggling popliteal tendon, so something new to contend with!  and the Fling awaiting me at the end of April again too ...
12/02/2012 at 21:01
Thanks, cragchick.  No Fling this year - after four consecutive years (two with extensions ) I'm doing other things this year.  I couldn't have improved on my logistics of last year and that sunny weather was fantastic and probably a little unusual!  It was only the injury letting me down.  So I've decided to stop while the going was good!  In late April and May I'll be doing three shorter ultras - two local in S Wales and one in Exmoor.
12/02/2012 at 21:10

I'm quite surprised at the lack of response from people out there with experiences like mine or who are still battling with their own long-term AT injury. And I notice at least two new threads on AT have already started since this one finished!

I can only assume others have not had this injury for as long as me which of course I am pleased about.

I'm sure this thread will remain useful as a resource in the future and if resurrected at a later point I'll probably notice and respond to any feedback.

Enjoy your running, all.  And don't forget to avoid shoes with high backs!  And do your calf stretches regularly!  And try to avoid sitting for long periods!

Above all keep moving.

T Rex

12/02/2012 at 21:23

I have suffered from AT for the past six months or so, still have slight problems and not running. Last summer was hobbling around particular first thing in the morning. Physio has helped and stretching as much as possible.

In the last week or so haven't really felt any pain, although caught my achilles on a chair and nearly hit the roof.

Really miss getting out running, just an hour or so in the woods / countryside sets me up for the day. Moved workbase closer to home nearly three years ago with the intention of running to work most of the time, okay for three months and since then beset with injuries - hamstring tear, swollen ankle and then AT, although I think AT was caused by the swollen ankle ie my body compensating for the weak ankle.

Got to agree with previous comments about treatment.

41 to 60 of 153 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.