Achilles tendopathy - been told to stop running. What other exercise can I do?

21 to 25 of 25 messages
seren nos    pirate
08/11/2012 at 20:22

just a point..if yous wim to keep up fitness then remmeber not to push off from the side with the foot that has the problem as it will make it worse...........if its in both feet then don't push off at all.......

i couldn't run for 3 months and in that time as well as the exercises for it i did lots of exercises for my glurtes as it was weak glutes that caused the problem in the first place...............

always god to see if there is a cause and treat that at the same time

godd luck all with it

08/11/2012 at 20:24

Thanks, that's helpful. How did you know it was weak glutes that caused your problem? I suspect my calves might be mine, as the physio alluded to the fact that they were really tight

J77
08/11/2012 at 20:39

My AT is also due to weak glutes and hips. My physio noticed a few knots in my calves but she suspects the AT was caused mostly by my weak glute/hip area. She determined this by a few in office exercises she had me do. By walking she noticed my hips drop more than they should and I used my quads more than my glutes when I perform single leg squats. If I remember correctly, she also had me lay on my front, bend one knee at 90 degrees and then lift it straight up. I wasn't using my glutes to lift which also pointed to weakness. I would certainly ask your physio if he/she thinks this may be contributing to your achilles problems.

I was really close to getting shockwave done since I've been in pain for over 6 months now. In the end I decided to hold off just a little longer. If I don't correct the cause of the problem then I'll never be rid of the injuries. I would love to be pain free right now but I know that stronger hips and glutes are the key to being injury free. I still may get it shockwave done if the pain doesn't fully go away but I'm hoping my new physio is on the right track with my treatment.

Good luck.

Edited: 08/11/2012 at 20:47
seren nos    pirate
08/11/2012 at 20:51

the calves being tight would cause the achillies problem.but you need to look at why the calves are tight...........a good physio should be able to detect this by a series of tests..........weak glutes are quite often the cause

I went to my GP and got refferred to the NHS physio.only took about 3 weeks and they saw me for 3 or 4 months every few weeks..giving me a slow build up of exercise........and after 4 /5months i was running again.......4 months later did and ironman and afterwards have done countless ultras and a double ironman.........

it was very hard not to run for that peruiod and did not even cycle for the first 3 months..........but it did all come back working better than ever afterwards.......

09/11/2012 at 12:47

I've got a physio appointment in a weeks time so I will ask her to check my glutes/hips then. I'm doing calf exercises now so hopefully that will help if that's the problem. 

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 25 of 25 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.