Achilles trouble

Need help!

1 message
10/01/2013 at 20:39
I am a 46 yr old passionate runner. I have been running for nearly 20 years. I live 500 metres from a National Park and love my early morning runs. My PBs are sub 40 for 10k, sub 20 for 5k and a 3.21 marathon. About 2 years ago my left Achilles started giving trouble but I was able to manage it with 3 to 4 runs a week. Last April I stupidly ran a 10 miler (69mns) when it was sore. I could barely walk afterwards. The MRI scan said I had a 1.5 cm tear plus I had a lot of extra bone swelling. I did a PRP injection and rested for a few months. I went back running around October and did all the strengthening and stretching my physio ordered me to do. I was back doing gentle 30 mns jogs 3 times a week when on week 7 it went sour again. The soreness was in a different place but the same Achilles. I had seen an Orthopaedic Surgeon before the PRP who commented on the obvious bone swelling He reckoned that surgery to shave down the excess bone and stretching the Achilles was a good option but obviously could not guarantee success. My physio agrees and says this is a serious option and maybe the only one if I am to run again. Is age against me? I hate the idea of surgery but the thought of not being able to run is unbearable and so frustrating. I am enjoying biking but it takes so much longer. Has anyone out there had a similar problem and is back running now? Please help this frustrated runner!!!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
1 message
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.