Achillies and knee problems

4 messages
WJH
18/12/2008 at 13:48

Hi all. First off, sorry to post this as I realise it is a very common topic and been mentioned many times on here before - however, I thought I would ask a few questions relating to the particular issues/problems I am currently having.

It all started back in early September when I did a 5 mile club run. At the end of this, the achillies at the bottom of my foot/top of the heel was pretty sore. That weekend (4 days later), I had a 5 mile race and perhaps foolishly now looking back ran that. Although I was sore on the Tuesday after the club run, the night after the 5 mile league race  the following Saturday, it was very sore indeed in the evening. No shooting pains or anything like that........just very sore with a kind of dull ache. Anyhow, I had a bit of a limp when walking for about a week or so afterwards but felt it was getting better within 10 days or so, so started running again (treadmill then outside). The achillies has since never been a problem preventing me from running, although to this day I can still feel it as to say and it still looks a little swolen compared to my left achillies down by the heel area. When you "feel" something I guess you think there is potential for it to get worse than just a "feeling"!!! However, when I run I feel it is warmed up and then can't really feel it at all.

Anyhow - the other problem is now this........my right knee - or muscle relating to my right knee or close to it perhaps? Basically I am getting the pain underneath the kneecap (not the kneecap itself) and to the right of it a bit. I am able to run and can run 3/4 miles with no problems but as soon as I reach this distance I can start feeling it...then it becomes painful after another mile or so and find I need to stop. So at the moment I am at a loss what to do. I am unable to train properly. I have no idea how long to lay off training because it is not an injury I can feel with normal walking/running (only after running a certain distance). I went to the physio a few times about a month ago and they told me that my problems were related to my biomechanics (my right leg is a bit longer than my left leg and it was probably related to my achillies). The knee problem has got a little bit more prominent with my runs since then though - not in the pain but after 4 miles or so, I know when I start feeling it that I should stop.

Anyway, I appreciate I have been rambling on...but my question is to anyone who has had similar experiences/or is an expert in this field of injury "what should I be doing to eliminate this problem...and that of my achillies (i.e. with still being able to feel it)?".

Any responses will be very appreciated.

Warren

WJH
18/12/2008 at 14:01
Could you explain the site of the knee problem a bit more clearly? I know it's tricky without a medical dictionary, but it could be almost anything from that description.

As a very crude rule of thumb, I'd say that if the achilles is a minor problem and is getting better, keep on running. If it's bad and/or staying the same or getting worse, get it seen to.

By the way - "The achillies has since never been a problem preventing me from running". It never is until it's too late. That's why so many people have chronic trouble with it.
WJH
20/12/2008 at 14:06

Hi Swerve...cheers for the reply.

Ok - my knee...it's not a sharp pain, it kind of comes on as I say after 4/5 miles. It is gradual..and not a sharp sudden pain. As I say first off I can feel it, but it gets gradually painful and have to stop running.

I have been told by a few to get a proper pair of trainers and that could possibly help. Anyway, this is where the pain I get is - on the diagram, its on the right hand side of the image on the knee from where it says "pain on itside or outside part: meniscus or collateral ligament tears and arthritis". Just reading that isn't sounding too good...but it doesn't feel like a serious injury as I say!

http://z.about.com/d/p/440/e/f/19506.jpg

Anyhow - maybe I will try a new pair of trainers and if they don't work, I will have to think of sustained trips to the physio...the problem though is that it's pretty expensive but if that's what I will have to do, then so be it. Finally, im not sure whether losing 3 and a half stone within a period of 4 months or so would have contributed to all this...maybe it was a combination of everything which has caused my problems in the first place (i.e. increased running, my biomechanics, trainers ive been using etc).

WJH
20/12/2008 at 14:55
Hi Warren.

Right-hand side as I look or the physical right side? That's a left leg, isn't it? Your pain's on the right leg... anyway I *think* I understand, but the diagnosis (well, guess rather than diagnosis) is very different for a small change in angle from front to side. I can't honestly discount any of patella tracking problems, patellar tendinopathy, a meniscal tear or even ITBS. What's more, of the three with which I have personal experience (which excludes meniscal trouble), all could have a pain onset similar to what you've described.

Sorry, can't honestly help. I'd take it to a physio, probably before shelling out for shoes (and take some advice from a reputable shoe shop when you do).

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.