Aching legs

Aching legs

2 messages
21/04/2010 at 22:11

hello,

I have just started running again after a break from running and i am running in the great south run and i am thinking of entering the new forest marathon. I do suffer from painfull legs right from my first strides of running, is it because i haven't warmed up enough? As they do get better after a  couple of miles or would you suggest i try stretching before i go out? Im a bit stuck with this one!!

22/04/2010 at 08:31

Apparenlty you shouldn't stretch cold muscles and should only stretch after you have warmed up and at the end of your run.  I used to get painful legs (shins) all the time when I first started out.  The main thing that stopped mine was finding the correct running footwear.  Have you had a gait test and got yourself a suitable pair of trainers?  I also try to walk a bit before I start running, or at least do a very slow jog, that seems to help my legs and also helps keep me running longer before getting tired.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
2 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.