Advice on blisters please

15 messages
23/09/2012 at 10:56

Hi,

I'm just getting back into running, and am following a bridge to 10k app and all is going well.  I try to run every other day, but with work commitments can't always do this so sometimes I run on two consecutive days.  Every time I do this, I get blisters.  

Should I use tape or plasters on the second day to avoid blisters?  

23/09/2012 at 11:44
Look at what is causing the blisters, you might need to change your socks (anything but Hilly twinskins = blisters for me) or shoes to see if they are laced too tight or rubbing or not enough toe room if the blisters are on your toe ends.

Just running 2 consecutive days shouldn 't cause blisters if all is well with you socks and shoozies

Taping or plasters will help but sort out the cause and save yourself a fortune.
23/09/2012 at 15:06
Good advice from Tickled Pink!
Lots of info on blisters here;
http://www.running-physio.com/blisters/
23/09/2012 at 15:46
@Tom Goom - you have been busy, what with all these links to your site you've been posting. Spam.
23/09/2012 at 18:37

Thanks - I can't work out what's causing the blisters.  I am wearing the same kit I've always worn (nothing new).  I'll try new socks, thanks for the advice, much appreciated!

23/09/2012 at 19:26

If you're wearing the same kit Clare and getting blisters then it probably is the kit which is causing them.  Whereabouts on your foot are the blisters?  Same place or different places?  If you keep getting blisters on the same place then the skin there will need time to sort itself out and repair so tape for a while even if you do find more comfy socks

23/09/2012 at 22:29
Intermanaut, that's a bit harsh! I wrote the articles specifically to help people on here. My site has no adds and makes no profits. It's just free advice from an experienced physio with a passion for running. I don't think that counts as spam!
23/09/2012 at 22:33
@tomgoom You're advertising your services.
23/09/2012 at 22:46
Not true. I have only 1 link on that site to my clinic out of over 60 articles. The site started because I kept finding people on here with similar problems so I wrote articles for them.
23/09/2012 at 22:52
@tomgoom - duh. The link is in your About Us page, which us where people would expect to find it. Your blog site is an advertising tool for your clinic.
23/09/2012 at 23:03
It really isn't. I never push my clinic details or share links direct to the clinic site or the About Us page. The site has raised over ??1000 for the Mental Health Foundation, helped hundreds of runners and not made me a single penny in profit.

Anyhow, I apologise to Clare, you were after blister advice not a pointless argument. Hope it gets better quickly for you!
23/09/2012 at 23:11
Blimey, all that spam hysteria. I've found Tom's advice always very helpful, never pushy with advertising own services. Let's keep things in perspective
24/09/2012 at 10:08
Tickled Pink - on the arch of my Left foot and side of my right foot below big toe - same places every time! Maybe my feet just need to toughen up and get used to me running again.

Tom Goon, I found your site useful and had a wander through it yesterday, advertising is low key, lots of opportunity for comment so thanks for sharing
24/09/2012 at 12:35
What socks are you using? Is cheaper to change socks first before looking at new shoes.
24/09/2012 at 13:57
Hilly mono skin - been running on and off for a while with no problem with blisters until now! Ran this morning after a rest day yesterday and blistered up (and had competed on) but not as much as before. I'll def get new socks, thx

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
15 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.