Advice on Runner's Knee please

Have an appt. with Orthopedic something - what to expect?

21 to 25 of 25 messages
10/02/2004 at 09:12
Lista - could you let us know the exercise program he gives you? or a few basics at least. I've got a wonky knee and I'm pretty sure it is due to the imbalances you mention. I've started stretching religiously and doing something called yogalates three times a week but I'd like to know something more precise and focussed I could be doing to help.

12/03/2004 at 12:01
Resurrecting this old thread for some more advice!

Had my physio. appointment this week and was sent away with some stretches and exercises to do. However my knee is hurting again now in much the same way as it did before. Is this a bad thing? Or is it the kind of thing that has to get worse before it can get better?

Part of the problem might have been that my knee was a lot better when I went to see my physio. so I could do the stuff they suggested. Apparently my quads. are weak so I'm doing slide down the wall squats to strengthen them and my hip flexors are not flexible enough so I've got two stretches for these.

I've got another appointment next week but I'm not sure if I should continue with the exercises in the meantime? Perhaps if I go and see them when my knee is at its worst it will help them work out what's wrong!

Feeling-a-bit-feeble-and-despondent ginger kitten :-(
12/03/2004 at 16:41
Hi Little N!

I have some friends who are physios (none of them live near me, worse luck!) and they do say that the patient usually gets worse for a week before they get better. Don´t know why though, perhaps breaking down scar tissue or something.

So I´d persevere with the excercises, or at least the ones you can do without too much pain.

or perhaps you could phone your physio and ask for a bit of advice?

Anyway, good luck, and treat yourself to something nice this weekend!
12/03/2004 at 17:17
Thanks LizzyB, just in time to cheer me up for the weekend!

I feel a bit better now. Knee is not so sore as this morning plus I've had a bar of chocolate! If it's common for things to get worse first I think I'll continue with the exercises, but maybe just do them twice a day for now. I'm seeing my physio on Tuesday so I think I can hang on until then. I did think about ringing but I've put my appointment card somewhere safe so it's going to take me a while to track it down :-)

I'm off to Ikea on Monday so I'll treat myself then - loads of lovely rugs, candles, duvet covers and lights etc!

Have a nice weekend!
12/03/2004 at 21:46
I suppose if the patella is tracking wrongly that the exercises may aggravate it but by strengthening and stretching the right muscles it'll be brought into correct alignment.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 25 of 25 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.