Advice please – Ongoing calf pain

3 messages
27/06/2003 at 10:54
I have been training for 15 weeks and am now running around 5m three times a week, and a Sunday run of around 8m. I never push myself very hard on a run, and am always able to breath and speak easily. I make sure I am properly hydrated.
The problem I am having is painful calf muscles. Lately they always seem to be hurting, and also my achilles heel. It is not an aching pain, more of a sharp pain in a specific part of the calf – (normally the middle to top area).
The pain usually subsides after a few days rest, then when resuming running the other calf will start to hurt. My quads are very strong and never ache after a long run, and I always take time to lightly stretch 5min into a run and then longer stretches afterwards.
I’m pretty sure I am a neutral runner. My current shoes are Asics Gel which my running shop tells me are ideal for me – they did not try to sell me new shoes which impressed me.
I have a race coming up in 5 weeks and want to be in top form. I have wondered about weight training to build the calf muscle, but think that the extra work might strain them even more.
Anyone got any ideas on how I can strengthen my calves to avoid this problem? Or any other ideas welcome!
27/06/2003 at 11:17
Anybody got any suggestions for a gout sufferer - not chronic but enough to cause discomfort - red shiney big toe syndrome!
Any magic cures or advice would be very welcome!
27/06/2003 at 11:57
Err... thanks Paul that helps a lot!
Anyone out there can help I would appreciate it.
Chris

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.