Advice when using an Alter G treadmill

when running with a sprained ankle

5 messages
MsE
11/01/2011 at 14:44
I sprained my ankle last Sunday and have been advised by my physio to hold off running for a few days. After a follow up appointment with her this Saturday, I am scheduled to try running on the Alter G treadmill they have available. Does anybody have experience of using these? I have treadmill run previously but am wondering how different it is when using the Alter G.

If it goes well, I plan to use it for the harder scheduled sessions for the new few weeks while I recover from my injury and would be grateful for any tips on it's use. I am sure I will get great advice from my physio but was looking for advice from experienced users.

Thanks in advance.
MsE
11/01/2011 at 18:21
I'll take that as a no then... <slopes off to Google the question instead>
25/06/2011 at 06:23

MsE this may be long overdue, but you probably want to start at 70-75% body weight when you first start using the Alter G and slowly work your way up in percentage.  If it is just a sprained ankle, I'd say keep it light while the swelling is bad. I usually start around 70% bw and work my way up a little bit each run on the Alter G. My rule of thumb is about 15% increase each week. Works for any similar injury. Even a 10% decrease of body weight can make a big difference when you are doing intense workouts. Hope this helps! 

25/06/2011 at 06:30
I know this is an old post but  I couldn't get used to the Alter-G. Running in a wetsuit isn't my idea of fun. I guess I'd have felt differently if I had an acute injury that stopped me from running on the roads.
MsE
25/06/2011 at 09:03
Thanks for your posts MD and LN. I used the Alter G (what I refer to as running in The Wrong Trousers*) quite a bit for my last marathon campaign as I then suffered from shin splints.

I also started at around 75% of my bodyweight and then (after fantasising how I could get down to less than 90lbs to make running feel that easy) would increase towards 95% each session.

I agree that running in neoprene shorts makes for a sweaty session. I am using it currently after re-spraining the same ankle. But needs must. I plan to maintain a 2 hour session per week to reduce impact during my current marathon campaign in a bid to thwart the onset of those dreaded shin splints. If it makes the difference to running pain-free or not at all, then I am inclined to use it!

* qv Wallace & Gromit.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
5 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.