Allergies and chest tightness while running

anyone familiar with this ?

10 messages
08/07/2009 at 23:09

Hi

Just wanted to check with you guys if anyone here has had chest tightness due to allergies, (i.e. Hay Fever etc...) while running and hopefully what you did to counter it.

I was running last week and thought I had symptoms of overtraining (chest tightness)  so I dropped back for a few days and today started a slow run (5k).  When I passed large trees my chest tightness came about again, it wasn´t present at for the first 1.5 miles.

Any thoughts anyone,

Regards,
Bez

09/07/2009 at 01:01
Hayfever medication and salbutamol puffer?
LIVERBIRD    pirate
09/07/2009 at 09:54

What FL said. What time were YOU up till FL?

Have you a diagnosis of hay fever or asthma? I went for a six mile run yesterday and the first five were fine, but the last one was hell. I got caught out by the fields being cut early and a beautiful, but rather pollen filled wild flower grass verge.

It happens - see your GP if you're concerned.....

09/07/2009 at 10:15

Hi

I haven´t had any symptoms of this before and therefore not been diagnosed.  Gonna try a few things see if this clears up.

Regards,
Bez

09/07/2009 at 12:29
Try Holland and Barratt stocked New Era Hay Fever and allergic rhinitis homeopathic salt tablets. No reported side effects. Get checked by GP. I have asthma and hay fever so am conscious of conditions and when they prevail ensure I have some tablets and my inhaler. Other cause could be hyper ventilation if your over exerting or exercise induced asthma. 1st port of call I think would be practice nurse/gp
09/07/2009 at 13:51

Running after or during a heavy shower can affect it too..from experience!

09/07/2009 at 16:58

I'm allergic to Plain Trees the most common trees around urban areas because they're very hardy.  They cause my chest to tighten and make me feel breathless, my eyes also feel like needles are poking into them.  So I understand how you feel.  It's horrible! 

I tried Loratadine one a day tablets but they gave me bad mood swings so stopped them and switched to Beconase Nasal Spray which worked great.  However, after using it for weeks on end I noticed mood swings again - it made me feel depressed actually.  So now I've switched to a homeopathic remedy from Boots but it's too early to tell if it's working yet - as the spray will still be in my system for a few days. 

LIVERBIRD    pirate
09/07/2009 at 17:04
I'm a moody cow without the Beconase......
09/07/2009 at 21:02

Evening LB. Will be having an earlier night tonight I promise, official answer was 3am, not nice and not clever..  OOOOH new series of Mock the Week, must stay awake.

Sorry Bez, incidentally ran today after very short night's sleep (see above) and forgot puffer- totally crap experience.

10/07/2009 at 00:58

hehehehe

Did some Hill repeats today, bought some hay fever pills and did not have any tightness even though I was running og freshly cut grass and near trees, fingers crossed....

Regards,
Bez

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
10 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.