Almost 3 weeks out of my gout attack and theres still some pain in my big toe

gout recovery toe

5 messages
14/09/2012 at 22:22

Hye,

So as title states, am 3 weeks out of my gout attack and my big toe still hurts when i flex it upward or downward, now i can run again and everything, but my toe still hurts.

How much time will it take till the pain is all gone. 1 mnth , 3 mnth a year?

Thanks

18/09/2012 at 13:03

Hi,

I also suffer from gout and in my experience it really depends on how quickly you managed to catch the gout in the first place. When I had my first attack I didn;t know what it was and I have to tell you it still hurt even to swim with for 2-3 months. 

My tips for getting the crystals gone are;

1) Water, water and more water! statying properly hydrated will aid your recovery

2) Avoid alcohol (all of it not just the yeasty beer)

3) Montmorency Concentrated Cherry Juice - It's expensive but it's high alkaline content is apparently good at combating the uric acid levels and ultimately the crystals that cause the pain. (well it seems to help me)

I am not a health professional just suffered for a longtime and the above is what I have learnt. Frustratingly I'm not over weight and don't drink beer just bad genetics!

Dustboy    pirate
18/09/2012 at 21:14

My middle name is William, there is a commonality here. People called WIlliam get gout! LOL!

Echo the Montmorency cherry juice, stick it in your Nuun bottle when you go for a run. 

Er, how long till it's gone? Er, mine never does, it's always there to a greater or lesser degree. Usually just a niggle in the background though. Last big attack was 2009, lasted 8 weeks. When it's niggling, it hurts other joints too, fingers, wrists mainly and sometimes neck.and ankle. No idea why.

FWIW, spinach sets it off in me.

18/09/2012 at 21:32

finally pain is 98% gone , am staying away from food that increases chance of gout, drinking tons of h2o . havnt tried cherry juice, will look into it.

anyways thanks for the heads up brother williams lol

18/09/2012 at 21:53
Not a William but am a gouty sufferer! Water water and more water!

I've also found a hot Epsom salt foot bath to help. Not sure if it's medical or luck but I feel on two occasion it's use has sped things up nicely.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
5 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.