Ankle Break

Recovering from a broken ankle

4 messages
03/03/2003 at 14:22
Hi, I broke my ankle ( on the outside) 5 weeks ago running too fast downhill and although I'm out of plaster and no longer need crutches I'm still a bit sore!
What I'd like to know is :

a) How soon will I be able to run?

b) Will Physiotherapy help?

c) Will my ankle be weaker?

d) Any helpful advice to get me running again as I was hoping to do the Edinburgh Marathon in mid-June.
03/03/2003 at 15:47
There was a thread similar to this at the end of last year. You should look it up. From my experience running again should take at least two months but don't expect to be running well or fast for at least six months. Physio will definitely help as will the use of a wobble board to re-gain flexibility.
The ankle will probably feel weaker for a few years but not enough to stop you doing anything (I did a Himalayan climbing expedition just eight months later with a pin still in the ankle). You may feel twinges when the weather changes - still you could always make a living as a weather forecaster : ).
Mid June sounds very close - not for the race itself but for the need to train adequately in the next two months.

Anyway, good luck and keep smiling.
04/03/2003 at 10:50
oh, good luck, Philip. am with you on this, nursing a broken arm & dreams of the Edinburgh Marathon! I might not make it, but i hope you do. hope the ankle bears up.
04/03/2003 at 11:05
Thanks Anaesthesia,
Am hoping to see my Physio soon, get a better idea of what i need to do.
Obvously wont be looking for fast time or PB
but be nice just to get round. I missed the Loch Ness marathon last year because of injury.
Hope you can make it even just to get round.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.