ankle-injury---how-often-shall-i-ice-it

6 messages
14/08/2013 at 13:05

Sadly I have injured my ankle from a run  

Ideally I need it to heal as quick as possible because my marathon is soon  

I am aware that using ice can help it heal quicker ... how often shall I do it and for how long shall I do it for?

(e.g. 20min ice bath, 6 times a day?)

Also, this injury happened around a week ago ... does ice still help? 

14/08/2013 at 13:10

I think ice works better the earlier it is used, but it can still help ease swelling and invigorate blood supply to the area. Cold tap water in a basin/Bucket should be cold enough if you intend tgouge it for 20 mins And it won't give you a heart attack either. 

14/08/2013 at 13:16

haha thanks Flob! How often would you recommend doing it?

14/08/2013 at 15:48

When I sprained my ankle earlier in the year I was advised by the physio and sports therapist to ice for 20 minutes every couple of hours; dampen a tea-towel, wrap it around some peas or crushed ice in a bag and apply to the ankle.  To be honest though that was advised for the first week after doing it and once the majority of the swelling was down then I stopped doing it. 

Ibuprofen three times a day would be a good idea though as that will help take the swelling down. 

What have you actually done to it?  You may well need to support it during the marathon with a tubi-grip or something.

14/08/2013 at 17:17

Being honest I dont know what is wrong with it ... it didnt swell ... but it is very painful when i run .. also I have a slight bit of pain when I first wake up in the morning 

15/08/2013 at 09:57

You really need to get it looked at then Donkey.  I don't think icing it will help if there is no swelling.  You could be doing yourself a lot of damage if you run a marathon on it when you don't know what's wrong   Hope you get it sorted out.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.