ankle injury

anterior talofibular ligament

21 to 29 of 29 messages
21/09/2004 at 10:40
so, any brace advice then Lisa?

am on tenterhooks...
21/09/2004 at 22:54
I'm ALWAYS having problems with my ankles (particularly my right one).

I've got this thing where I my feet turn out but my knees bend in (I can't remember what it's called, something like malicious malighnment..?), and I overpronate, making my more at risk. I've also lost some mobility in my right ankle.

Whenever I start my run, my ankles crack and I'm unsteady for the first few steps.

I'm only 19.
22/09/2004 at 07:47
ok, well the chiropractor said for actual running in you want a lace up ankle brace that is food specific so that you get more support on the outside and less on the inside as it's the outside you generally have problems with.

I have found one made by mueller and it's an ATF High Performance Ankle Brace. The web site is www.muellersportsmed.com and the number for a distributer in the UK is 0208 4281188 and they can post them to you.

Hope this helps.
22/09/2004 at 07:47
sorry that should have been foot specific - must need some breakfast!
17/11/2004 at 18:39
I turned my ankle badly 5 weeks ago. It was x-rayed and there was no bone damage. I rested it completely for 2 weeks, then tried to run but it hurt horribly. So, I visited a physio who did ultrasound & strapped it. I have been running again although I get pain for the first 10 mins or so but it wears off after than. It's a bit sore the next day. I'm planning on doing the Reebok 10k this sunday and the Nike 10k the following week. Am I mad? Should I go for it?
29/03/2007 at 09:59
Its good to see that nobody is getting ankle injuries anymore judging by the date of the last message. I'm surprised little has been said about getting X-rays done which is free at your local A&E and gives proof of bone damage. Is everyone too busy?
I badly sprained my right ankle three weeks ago and did nothing about it for 10 days, then because it was still painful went to my GP who sent me off that day to the Yeovil A&E for an x-ray which clearly showed a small fracture on the lower part of the fibula bone caused by the ligements pulling off a pice of bone! Apparently quite common.It was put in plaster for a week which immediately reduced the pain and swelling. That was removed after a week and now just over 3 weeks later I use a support stocking during the day and it is improving steadily. Hope to run again by end May.
19/04/2009 at 10:21

Hi,

I sprained my ankle two weeks ago today. I was out running and the pain just came on very severely. The strange thing is that I dont even recall going over on it or twisting is in any way. The swelling can come up terrible depending on how much im hobbling about on it. I cant walk normally with out a limp and even to touch it around the outer edge or just above the ankle bone is very tender. Ive had an x-ray which i was told was all ok bone wise, and I am RICE ing it quite often. Does anyone have any idea what I could have done? And what other form of exercise could I do to keep up my fitness and my weight stable? From running 25 miles per week to nothing is starting to make me feel abit depressed. i Did ask a Dr about an MRI scan but he just said that we need to give it more time yet before going down that route.

27/05/2009 at 09:46

I am in exactly the same situation.  I badly sprained my ankle walking down a stair and not looking at the uneven ground.  Six weeks later and am still not albe to run.

About three weeks ago I started 'spinning' classes which is an excellent high intensity CV workout.  I am trying to do it three times a week.  I'm sure I will have lost some running fitness but my weight has been stable and it sure makes you feel good!  I am not getting any pain from the injury even when standing on the pedals during the classes.

I am lucky as my local authority gym does classes so I pay as I go rather than having to pay expensive gym fees.

Good luck and hobble on.

27/05/2009 at 12:48
Slipped on ice at Christmas and tore the medial ankle ligament.. and still not running after 6 months !

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 29 of 29 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.