Anti-depressants & training

What's the effect?

21 to 40 of 40,432 messages
23/09/2003 at 16:28
ok so the plan is:
1) find another event to target, sooner rather than later, and get into regular training - but don't become obsessive about improving all the time or that will be counter productive
2) talk about it, either with a pro or on the RW forums
3) try and think more positively
4) if all else fails remember there are people a hell of a lot worse off who don't moan and do cope, so you can cope if you want to.
23/09/2003 at 16:33
Hello Staggerıng On,

agree with 1,2 and 3 about 4 yes porbably there are people a hell of a lot worse off, but that doesn't mean you don't have the right to moan from time to time. And sure you can cope...

Good Luck on your training etc
23/09/2003 at 17:08
Hi Staggers,

I would find more that one target. Plan for 2 or 3 races so you don't feel flat once you do them. As soon as they happen, find new ones to replace them.

I am on a high dose of antideps and did a 1/2 on Sunday.
On hard days when you feel you don't want to do anything you just have to be strong and go out and run. It works for me.

If you need to talk you can always email me.
23/09/2003 at 17:32
Staggers do not think like no 4 yes i'm sure there are people more badly off than you and me. BUT THAT DOES NOT INVALIDATE OUR FEELINGS.

I shouted that because I find that people who make comments about thinking of those worse off than you, have no feckin clue of how it feels to be depressed.

23/09/2003 at 18:03
I agree with you bb, and knowing that there are people more badly off doesn't make you and me feel any better.
23/09/2003 at 18:04
I agree - the last thing you need to do is to add a guilt spiral to the picture.
23/09/2003 at 20:00
I would forget number 4.
Its always good to have a moan.

I have been worse off then I am now and didn't get depressed.
23/09/2003 at 20:00
Amen to that!

Will you be my GP, V'rap?

;0)
23/09/2003 at 20:43
I agree with BB and nevermind about number 4 SO
Depression is a personal thing
and not to be taken lightly
Whatever your circumstances
how can anyone else tell you how you "should"feel
23/09/2003 at 20:52
ive been on antideeps for a year and a bit now - been thru phases of being more active - did manage to get back into regular running at the back end of last year and im starting the very long slow road back to something like

i feel ok mentally but struggle with a loss of the intense drive i used to have - ive notice a real lack of oomph in the last months which coincides with a change in meds from prozac - which seemed to make me more physically anxious to effexor which took the anxiety away and made me feel less uptight but i feel less driven than i used to so motivation for running is erm not what it was

ive also gained a lot of weight - not sure if thats just a coincidence - but its hindering my fitness
23/09/2003 at 21:25
I read somewhere that ADs that make you sleepy are more likely to make you put on weight. When I was on mirtazapine all I did was eat and sleep and felt to tired to do any exercise. Now I am on prozac I am more like my normal self.
23/09/2003 at 21:29
alright folks, I get the message don't worry about how others are!!!
Before I found it could help - funily enough helping other people (being the person everyone else turned to) helped take my mind off my problems, but I see what you're saying.

I WILL concentrate on sorting out my head!

Bune, I had read that weight gain can be a side effect which was the sort of effects I was wondering about (like are they real or just what the litigation people what to shout about).

I'm hoping that changing drugs will help with concentration and motivation to do things. At the moment I can't concetrate on anything for more than a few minutes, bit of a problem when you're trying to write technical analysis documents!
23/09/2003 at 21:31
(((((((((((((((Staggers)))))))))))))))))))
24/09/2003 at 08:28
Ok its another day, and last night was not good. Need to train tonight, or do something...
24/09/2003 at 08:37
Helping people does help, Staggers, provided you can set boundaries - and that means emotional boundaries as well as clearly defined limits on what you are prepared to do in a practical sense.

A lot of the people I see with depression are precisely the people who are seen as strong and whom everybody feels able to turn to. Often when people like that get depressed themselves, they have little concept of what's happening (until it turns into panic disorder, alcohol or cannabis misuse or unexplained physical pain) and have even greater difficulty persuading anyone else to acknowledge that they have depression because people just don't want to think that the pillars of society might haev a breaking-point too.
24/09/2003 at 08:43
Well said Vrap
24/09/2003 at 08:43
Good point vrap
24/09/2003 at 08:49
(course theres nothing wrong with a good drink
You know, work hard , play hard!
got to keep busy
Oh yes, just pull yourself together, and stop wallowing, people are depending on you, you know)

Said the hippo to herself

Good luck staggs, hope it works out
24/09/2003 at 08:58
V'rap - wish you'd been my doctor a few years ago.

Morning ((((((hugs)))))) for struggling peeps.

It does get better, the sun does rise, just hang in there and have a good howl when you need to.

:o)
24/09/2003 at 09:09
thanks guys.

I think I'm going to use this as a sort of diary and mind dump. Whilst some things will be said in other threads, this is going to be the "real" me, and hopefully I'll see the progress towards more good days.
21 to 40 of 40,432 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.