Antibacterial Soap

Should they be allowed on sale to the public?

21 to 23 of 23 messages
22/12/2013 at 21:17
Nessie wrote (see)

but I don't get how me using Dettol* on my worktops to get rid of the salmonella from the Christmas Turkey will lead to the end of the world as we know it.

This is pretty much exactly the point.

It's a fair option to kill off salmonella with Dettol.  But let's hope that in 20 years time, the millions of people, pointlessly doing billions of routine 'antibacterial' hand washes, hasn't driven the salmonella to become dettol resistant.. I'd assume that many other disinfectants wouldn't fair any better, if that were the case.

We need to reserve disinfectants for when they're important. We need to reserve antibacterial soaps for when we've been handling raw chicken... or perhaps have folliculitis.

23/12/2013 at 03:06
Tea tree oil is the dogs danglies!
23/12/2013 at 14:06

Loads of skankers...err I mean people, never wash their hands anyway (even when they have been to the toilet ), so maybe this will balance things out?  Strangers to a bar of soap some folk.

I saw a horrid story of a young child who contracted e.coli from his nursery because the staff were not regularly washing their hands. He is now permanently disabled. Would not wish that on anybody.

Loads of alternatives - tea tree as said above, alcohol gels they use in hospitals (that don't use these chemicals mentioned in the report). This is a typical media scaremongering story, designed to make everyone PANIC!

If I've been on my allotment handling horse manure or compost, then yes I will wash my hands with anti-bac before I make my dinner, thanks . The rest of the time I will just use ordinary soap.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 23 of 23 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.